Grant Erwin

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a number of small Diacro benders, Beverly shears, vises, anvils,
etc. that I would like to be able to mount and unmount on a bench
conveniently and quickly.

Has anyone designed a quick attachment mount that work for this type of
application? It would need to be able to resist rotational torque from
a bender, vertical downward pressue from a shear and shock from vises
and anvils.

Funny, I'm just getting ready to fabricate something exactly like what you're
talking about. Except mine is floor mounted. I'm going to take 3 pieces of 3½"
square steel tube, 1/4" wall (approx.) and fit 2 pieces together to form a 'T'
which lies on the ground. Partway down the long leg of the 'T' I'm going to
stand up the 3rd piece and weld it on, so it always stands vertical.

Before I weld on that vertical leg, I'm going to drill a cross hole down a bit,
or maybe 2 of 'em. The ends will be nice and square.

This will be the main item, a mounting post. I can then take 5x3/8" flat bar and
make up brackets that fit over the top of the post and through-bolt, and to the
top I'll fix each machine I want to be able to mount. I'll certainly have a
beefy vise, and a small table, and a mount for my arbor press, maybe a mount for
a halogen light, and probably other things as well. It won't strongly resist
rotational forces about a vertical axis, as the base will just skid, but my leg
vise is mounted like this and I've bent some pretty hefty stuff with it, just
have to put your foot down to keep it from skidding much. No casters, just slide
it around.

I doubt I'd put an anvil up there, though. No need, my anvil sits right by
there. This thing is going to be an auxiliary to my welding table.

That's my suggestion. Worth at least what you paid for it! :-)

GWE