Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY TV entertainment unit

After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of
assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV
'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple, and
I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of buying
from Ikea.
But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit ambitious? I
don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful.
All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type
things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate anywhere
that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail joints
etc are out of the question really.
Any advice or pointers to resources appreciated, to give me a starting
point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of
assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV
'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple, and
I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of buying
from Ikea.
But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit ambitious? I
don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful.
All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type
things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate anywhere
that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail joints
etc are out of the question really.

You'll find most of these he
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101697&ts=32671

However I have to say that I think you'll find most of the Ikea-type
fittings to be not really appropriate, because they rely on holes being
drilled very accurately (position/diameter/depth etc) in the edges and
sides of the panels, which is hard to do unless you've got all the right
kit (drills/jigs etc).

On occasions when I've done my own 'flat-pack' style furniture I've used
wooden dowels, which is pretty straightforward if you have a little
cheapie jig which sits in the hole you've just drilled, and which marks
the position of the next hole using a drill with depth-stop - think I
got the drill and jog from B&Q.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
You'll find most of these he
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101697&ts=32671

However I have to say that I think you'll find most of the Ikea-type
fittings to be not really appropriate, because they rely on holes being
drilled very accurately (position/diameter/depth etc) in the edges and
sides of the panels, which is hard to do unless you've got all the right
kit (drills/jigs etc).

On occasions when I've done my own 'flat-pack' style furniture I've used
wooden dowels, which is pretty straightforward if you have a little
cheapie jig which sits in the hole you've just drilled, and which marks
the position of the next hole using a drill with depth-stop - think I
got the drill and jog from B&Q.

Yup thanks, I did wonder about the accuracy required. I'll probably use
the dowell approach. But it's basic things like how to cleanly cut the
panels. I have a jigsaw, which is probably not the correct tool. So I
guessed I would need a saw bench or pull mitre saw of some kind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lobster wrote:
You'll find most of these he
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101697&ts=32671

snipped

Yup thanks, I did wonder about the accuracy required. I'll probably use
the dowell approach. But it's basic things like how to cleanly cut the
panels. I have a jigsaw, which is probably not the correct tool. So I
guessed I would need a saw bench or pull mitre saw of some kind.

=========================
A jigsaw isn't much good for this kind of work. A good quality hand pull saw
(not a mitre saw) will give you clean cuts in Contiboard but getting square
cuts depends on your sawing skills.

Cic.

----
It has removed 125 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." [email protected] wrote in message
Yup thanks, I did wonder about the accuracy required. I'll probably
use the dowell approach. But it's basic things like how to cleanly
cut the panels. I have a jigsaw, which is probably not the correct
tool. So I guessed I would need a saw bench or pull mitre saw of some
kind.

go for it. once you've tooled up and got the prototypes out of the way you
may end up with a decent enough product to sell it. it may be a lot more
expensive than the ones you can buy in the shops but if you stick at it
for long enough, say 30 years, you may be able to attain the quality of
and volume pricing benefits of, say IKEA .........

buy one for now, save your dreams for when you're tooled up and have
at least some experience of where to start ;-)

Presumably you got someone to read the original post out to you, as you
wouldn't have wanted to Read-it-yourself, as clearly there are people who
can read faster than you, and heaven forfend that you should do other than
meekly consume.

To the O.P - go for it, as people have said it is hard to get a really
straight cut with a Jig saw, but you might be able to design something that
has the 'factory' cuts to the front, so that any wobbles are hidden. On the
other hand jig saws allow you to cut curves! A good supply of sandpaper to
smooth things over can work wonders to clean up rough edges.Although not the
cheapest material a sheet of 3/4" plywood will give you design flexibility,
strength and will look great when varnished. You can be neat and tidy with
glued and doweled joints, or just use countersunk screws.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of
assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV
'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple,
and I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of
buying from Ikea.
But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit ambitious?
I don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful.
All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type
things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate anywhere
that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail
joints etc are out of the question really.
Any advice or pointers to resources appreciated, to give me a
starting point.

Even if you were a proper carpenter it'd still be cheaper at Ikea.
Having said that, I bought a TV cabinet recently and the holes in one
panel had been drilled in the wrong places for the dowels and cam
fasteners - The first time this has ever happened to me on flat pack.
Rather than having to lug it all back to the store and then likely
buying another with the same problem I just measured up and drilled my
own holes to perfection :-)

from ikea ? doubtful.

FWIW if there's anything wrong with any ikea stuff which requires a second visit
to pick up spares or return a faulty item they have a per mile fuel refund policy
up to a maximum of £15 each way ( I think it's each way )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
[...]

I didn't know about the compensation on mileage but it would probably
have been too much hassle claiming anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of
assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV
'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple, and
I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of buying
from Ikea.
But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit ambitious? I
don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful.
All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type
things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate anywhere
that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail joints
etc are out of the question really.
Any advice or pointers to resources appreciated, to give me a starting
point.

I built a TV stand with shelves for VCR's etc above and below 32" TV. For
most of the bigger bits carying weight I used 2 sheets of MDF glued together
all held together with fixings from Woodfit (like the Ikea fixings).
www.woodfit.com

Got B&Q to cut the major bits of MDF, even paid the 50p charge as they can
cut 36mm of MDF (2 x 18mm) so you get two bits absolutely identical for say
shelves or sides.

Put boxing at rear to hide and hold cables as well. Spray painted silver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Cicero wrote:
"." [email protected] wrote in message

That's obviously some top end stuff, most of the Ikea stuff I've
seen is far cheaper.

Well it's from the 'Bonde' range and has several parts, which is
why it's expensive. I can't see it on their website, but it's in
the catalogue. Has a TV unit, with two tall shelf units at either
side, and another shelf unit spanning the top.

buy the items one at a time if you can't afford it.

it's still cheaper than tooling up.

========================
You can buy a lot of tools and material for £400-00 ( price of OP's
desired purchase) and you have the tools for the next job. It makes
good sense especially for someone visiting a DIY group to buy the
tools and learn how to use them.

Cic.

ok, you now best.

(fix your lame sig)

============================
Just pointing out the obvious and the signature is inserted
automatically by 'Spamfighter'.

Cic.

it's b0rked: see below, a proper sig should not allow it's self to
propagate into the reply. what you and it are doing - ironically-
is spamming my reply ! which really has made me chuckle ;-)

----
It has removed 128 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

It can stay 'borked.

If it's giving you a headache take it up with 'Spamfighter' . I'm sure there
are many more people using the same programme.

Cic.

----
It has removed 128 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Cicero wrote:
Cicero wrote:
[...]

glad you agree it's b0rked.

snip b0rked sig

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of
assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV
'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple, and
I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of buying
from Ikea.
But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit ambitious? I
don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful.
All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type
things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate anywhere
that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail joints
etc are out of the question really.
Any advice or pointers to resources appreciated, to give me a starting
point.

Its not difficult.
Get the boards cut in B&Q or similar and fit it together with dowels or a
biscuit jointer if you have one.
Don't go over the top and keep it simple.

If you are any good with a router you can cut groves for the shelves and top
and bottom which makes it a lot stronger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." wrote in message
Cicero wrote:

-
----
It has removed 128 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It can stay 'borked.

glad you agree it's b0rked.

snip b0rked sig

As if it mattered..........

This is a DIY group and the trivia you introduced contributes nothing of any
relevance.

Cic.

----