Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Default DIY TV entertainment unit

wrote:
. wrote:
After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of
assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV
'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple,
and I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of
buying from Ikea.
But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit
ambitious?
I don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful.
All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type
things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate
anywhere
that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail
joints etc are out of the question really.
Any advice or pointers to resources appreciated, to give me a
starting point.

Even if you were a proper carpenter it'd still be cheaper at Ikea.
Having said that, I bought a TV cabinet recently and the holes in
one
panel had been drilled in the wrong places for the dowels and cam
fasteners - The first time this has ever happened to me on flat
pack.
Rather than having to lug it all back to the store and then likely
buying another with the same problem I just measured up and drilled
my
own holes to perfection :-)

from ikea ? doubtful.

FWIW if there's anything wrong with any ikea stuff which requires a
second visit to pick up spares or return a faulty item they have a
per mile fuel refund policy up to a maximum of £15 each way ( I
think it's each way )

I didn't know about the compensation on mileage but it would probably
have been too much hassle claiming anyway.

5 minute job.