Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m Ian_m is offline

Default DIY TV entertainment unit

wrote in message
oups.com...
After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of
assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV
'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple, and
I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of buying
from Ikea.
But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit ambitious? I
don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful.
All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type
things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate anywhere
that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail joints
etc are out of the question really.
Any advice or pointers to resources appreciated, to give me a starting
point.

I built a TV stand with shelves for VCR's etc above and below 32" TV. For
most of the bigger bits carying weight I used 2 sheets of MDF glued together
all held together with fixings from Woodfit (like the Ikea fixings).
www.woodfit.com

Got B&Q to cut the major bits of MDF, even paid the 50p charge as they can
cut 36mm of MDF (2 x 18mm) so you get two bits absolutely identical for say
shelves or sides.

Put boxing at rear to hide and hold cables as well. Spray painted silver.