Default Have any of you seen this Cyclone-type DC unit?

Looks like an interesting piece and for $139.00 shipped it might be
even more interesting. I wrote to the guy and asked him whether he's
going to offer it with a blower and he said no. Here's his response:

"The reason I do not offer a blower at this time is because there are
so many people that already own their own dust collector units, which
incorporate a blower. Also, I don't know if it really needs a 1.5 hp
unit. I demonstrate mine with a 1 hp, 650 CFM unit and with 30' of
hose and no bag on the dust collector I can take almost all of the
chips from a 12" board being planed. I think you'd be very suprised
how efficient this unit is. Note: on the discharge side I use a
reducer to go from 6" to 4" so I can continue using 4" hose.....If you
have any further questions please contact me........Thanks.....Gary
MacIntyre"

Might be a decent solution if you want to run one machine with a 1 HP
DC unit, and I'd guess it'd work with a 1.5 unit as well.
Groggy

Is there a link?
Unisaw A100

[...]

And where might we find this? Is it the one on eBay?

UA100

http://my.name-services.com/62645/page99.htm

toller

I might be tempted by that; where do you get the $139 price.

Knowing me through, i would refuse to buy it because charging tax is so
unfair...

Rob Mitchell

toller wrote:
I might be tempted by that; where do you get the $139 price.

Knowing me through, i would refuse to buy it because charging tax is so
unfair...

Yeah, price on the site is 189. Still pretty reasonable though.

I should be talking G but could you provide a link to King?

I've looked at numerous cyclones including Bill Pentz's page, and for
the life of me I can't figure out whether there's a minimum size that
needs to be used to make them work, or maybe nobody wants to bother
building something a little more compact.

For instance, if the (heavy) wood chips are falling out the bottom of
the cyclone, why do you need a big galvanized can to catch them? Wy
couldn't you set up a wide flange and simply band-on a large
contractors bag?

Of course, if you read Bill's page, you almost come to the conclusion
that typical Jet, Delta, and other DC units are extremely inefficient
and don't actually do a good job. And that's the 1200 CFM units...
the smaller ones that pump 650 CFM are probably worthless by his
standards. But you have to take this all with a grain of salt,
because not everyone has a full-blown professional wood shop where 3-5
machines are generating dust/chips at the exact same time. I work by
myself one machine at a time, and I think I could get by with a 1 HP
DC unit backed up by a decent air filtration system like a Delta
50-875.

It seems like DC has become a big deal in home woodshops, and it's
probably the health issue that is driving it, although the SWMBO
factor where dust migrating out of the shop has to be playing into
this as well.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:13:00 -0500, Rob Mitchell

Looks like an interesting piece and for $139.00 shipped it might be
even more interesting. I wrote to the guy and asked him whether he's
going to offer it with a blower and he said no. Here's his response:

If you didn't have a DC already, King makes a 650CFM small blower/motor
and bag for about $250CDN I believe. Looks like it would mount right on
top of the cyclone.

toller

Personally I wouldn't send a check to someone I didn't know; especially if
he has a "0" rating.

The decision is made easier by not having enough headroom for it anyhow.
Good luck.