Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy McKenzie Andy McKenzie is offline

Default DIY TV entertainment unit

"." [email protected] wrote in message
Yup thanks, I did wonder about the accuracy required. I'll probably
use the dowell approach. But it's basic things like how to cleanly
cut the panels. I have a jigsaw, which is probably not the correct
tool. So I guessed I would need a saw bench or pull mitre saw of some
kind.

go for it. once you've tooled up and got the prototypes out of the way you
may end up with a decent enough product to sell it. it may be a lot more
expensive than the ones you can buy in the shops but if you stick at it
for long enough, say 30 years, you may be able to attain the quality of
and volume pricing benefits of, say IKEA .........

buy one for now, save your dreams for when you're tooled up and have
at least some experience of where to start ;-)

Presumably you got someone to read the original post out to you, as you
wouldn't have wanted to Read-it-yourself, as clearly there are people who
can read faster than you, and heaven forfend that you should do other than
meekly consume.

To the O.P - go for it, as people have said it is hard to get a really
straight cut with a Jig saw, but you might be able to design something that
has the 'factory' cuts to the front, so that any wobbles are hidden. On the
other hand jig saws allow you to cut curves! A good supply of sandpaper to
smooth things over can work wonders to clean up rough edges.Although not the
cheapest material a sheet of 3/4" plywood will give you design flexibility,
strength and will look great when varnished. You can be neat and tidy with
glued and doweled joints, or just use countersunk screws.

Andy