Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default DIY TV entertainment unit

wrote:
After looking at the Ikea catalog, and from previous experience of
assembling flat packs, I'm considering building my own TV
'entertainment unit' for the lounge. The construction seems simple, and
I can probably buy the materials for much less than the cost of buying
from Ikea.
But being a DIY novice I'm wondering if this may be a bit ambitious? I
don't have that many tools, so a shopping list would be useful.
All flat packs I've put together use those self locking screw type
things to fix the cabinets together. I can't seem to locate anywhere
that sells these. Or is there a better way of doing it? Dovetail joints
etc are out of the question really.

You'll find most of these he
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101697&ts=32671

However I have to say that I think you'll find most of the Ikea-type
fittings to be not really appropriate, because they rely on holes being
drilled very accurately (position/diameter/depth etc) in the edges and
sides of the panels, which is hard to do unless you've got all the right
kit (drills/jigs etc).

On occasions when I've done my own 'flat-pack' style furniture I've used
wooden dowels, which is pretty straightforward if you have a little
cheapie jig which sits in the hole you've just drilled, and which marks
the position of the next hole using a drill with depth-stop - think I
got the drill and jog from B&Q.

David