Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are 'screws' available.

I'm looking for a screw type for my B&D jigsaw. the bit that holds the
blade in place. i have lost 1 of them and need to replace it. It's a
bit tricky with just 1.

The thread is like the screws used in electrical sockets, but what are
they called.

I took the remaining 1 to my local diy store who said they were machine
screws and not available.

Anyone know what they are called and where i can get them.

Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the info guys. i will try maplins tomorrow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

wrote:
I'm looking for a screw type for my B&D jigsaw.

If you input the model No that should get you an exploded diagram which
will tell you what the proper name/No is then you can order them direct
from the manufacturer (probably a very expensive route to take), get the
name/specs of it and see if you can source it from one of the shed/have
one lying about .
http://www.blackanddeckerspares.com/
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

soup wrote:
wrote:

I'm looking for a screw type for my B&D jigsaw.

If you input the model No that should get you an exploded diagram which
will tell you what the proper name/No is then you can order them direct
from the manufacturer (probably a very expensive route to take), get the
name/specs of it and see if you can source it from one of the shed/have
one lying about .
http://www.blackanddeckerspares.com/

Depends - I've found B&D extremely helpful in the past: I contacted
their spares dept on the off-chance for a replacment handle for my
ancient Workmate bench/vice, and not only did they have one, they sent
it FOC.

david
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:21:14 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

soup wrote:
wrote:

I'm looking for a screw type for my B&D jigsaw.

If you input the model No that should get you an exploded diagram which
will tell you what the proper name/No is then you can order them direct
from the manufacturer (probably a very expensive route to take), get the
name/specs of it and see if you can source it from one of the shed/have
one lying about .
http://www.blackanddeckerspares.com/

Depends - I've found B&D extremely helpful in the past: I contacted
their spares dept on the off-chance for a replacment handle for my
ancient Workmate bench/vice, and not only did they have one, they sent
it FOC.

Slightly OT, but speaking of helpful service departments, a few years
ago I was given a Marantz "Superscope" portable cassette recorder. I
contacted Marantz about the availability of a carrying strap for same,
and was promptly sent, entirely FOC, a strap and a service manual for
the machine, even though it had been out of production for quite a
while. Firms/companies like that deserve due support.

OK - it's old hat now using "analogue" and "compact cassettes", but it
does still work!

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:48:35 UTC, Frank Erskine
wrote:

Slightly OT, but speaking of helpful service departments, a few years
ago I was given a Marantz "Superscope" portable cassette recorder. I
contacted Marantz about the availability of a carrying strap for same,
and was promptly sent, entirely FOC, a strap and a service manual for
the machine, even though it had been out of production for quite a
while. Firms/companies like that deserve due support.

I had the same experience with Quad. I asked for a user manual for the
33 and the 303, and was sent (by mistake) the service manuals. On
request, they sent the user manuals too.

I asked about sending the units back for servicing. They said 'pack in
original boxes', which I hadn't got. So they shipped me a pair of
original boxes with the right internal packing.

Incidentally, I laughed a little when the pre-amp came back. The little
'Quad' light had had the gold lettering rubbed off. They'd replaced it
FOC, which reminded me of the rumour that Wolseley did much the same
with their radiator badges..!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

I had a similar experience with my 66/606 with Quad (not as iconic as
the 33/303)

This one has a system of buttons operating electronic switching to
select signal sources. After some years the unit developed a fault
where it would do this on its own. So I called them and spoke to the
service manager.

He took the serial number and said that they had occasionally seen a
bad joint on one of the gold pin connectors that join two of the
internal boards together. I was offered the option of having the
boxes sent and a free repair, or if I was able to, it was an easy one
anyway. They faxed me a diagram of the area and marked the specific
joint. One quick touch with a soldering iron and new solder and it
was fixed.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Zoinks

The problem is that now many people in the UK are so obsessed by price
that things like 'customer service' are no longer even considered. If
cheap, they buy - then moan endlessly in the newsgroups about shoddy
service.

--
-----------
Zoinks !
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Zoinks" ""bounce\"@kermit-the fr.org" wrote in message
The problem is that now many people in the UK are so obsessed by price
that things like 'customer service' are no longer even considered. If
cheap, they buy - then moan endlessly in the newsgroups about shoddy
service.

Many people go to Screwfix because of their service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Zoinks ""bounce\"@kermit-the fr.org" contains these words:

The problem is that now many people in the UK are so obsessed by price
that things like 'customer service' are no longer even considered. If
cheap, they buy - then moan endlessly in the newsgroups about shoddy
service.

That's why I go to the local independant timber/builders' yard for most
stuff - the prices aren't that different but much better service.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Zoinks ""bounce\"@kermit-the fr.org" contains these words:

The problem is that now many people in the UK are so obsessed by price
that things like 'customer service' are no longer even considered. If
cheap, they buy - then moan endlessly in the newsgroups about shoddy
service.

That's why I go to the local independant timber/builders' yard for most
stuff - the prices aren't that different but much better service.

Better service than what? I find that in many of those places I get
treatedlike something the cat threw up just because I'm not a tradesman,
which is why Screwfix et al get most of my custom, wherever possible.

Next port of call for me is generally Wickes; only after that do I start
tangling with the local trade outlets. In general.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Many people go to Screwfix because of their service.

Given the choice between Screwfix

...Owain. Owain, Owain we go
...he gives us info we don't want to know
...the info is so poor tis true
...so how does this garbage affect you?

...well take no heed of babble and drool
...as instantly you will recognise a fool

...instictively you will spy
...in newsgroups with DIY
...attempting wisdom the fools will try

...so be very watchful of what the fools say
...and don't give these half-wits the time of day