Stormin Mormon

Default Those YUPPIE drywall screws

the_handyman wrote in message
I never could figure out why yuppies use drywall screws instead of
nails whenever they build something with wood, (or more likely, hire
someone else to do it for them).

I was raised then when you build something with wood, you use NAILS
and a HAMMER.

I finally figured out the reason a few weeks ago. Being a handyman, I
had to do some work for a yuppie type individual, in a yuppie type
neighborhood. He lived in a condo, and wanted particle board
installed on the inside walls of his attached garage. He was to
furnish the materials. I went there to start the job, and he had a
stack of particle board, some molding, a few 2X4's for the corners,
and a huge box of drywall screws. I looked at the screws with a
rather puzzled expression, and asked him if he wanted me to drywall
something too. He explained that the clerk at Home Depot said that
they are better than nails. I looked at this man, and said, "Sir,
they are made for DRYWALL, NOT particle board".
I then told him to take them back, and get the nails I ordered him to
buy, going on to explain that those screws will work ON THE PARTICLE
board, but NOT on the corner 2X4's nor the molding. I also told him
the if I had to use the screws on the p. board, I would have to charge
for additional labor, since it takes much longer to use them than
nails.

The customer took the screws back to Home Depot, and got my nails.
I began to install some corner 2X4's, and then the boards. After
installing the 3rd sheet, the man came out to the garage, praised my
work, but asked if there was any way I could do it more quietly,
explaining that the neighbor in the adjoining unit was complaining
about the noise. I explained that there is no way to be any more
quiet, and joked that no one makes a noiseless hammer.

I proceeded to work, when suddenly a police car pulled up on the
driveway, right in front of me. The officer asked my name, and asked
what I was doing. I explained my job to the officer. The officer
said he was sorry, but said that the were called because of the noise.
The officer politely asked me to keep it as quiet as possible, and
drove off in their squad.

I get back to work, and install a few more sheets, when suddenly a
fine dressed gentleman walks up to the garage, with his poodle on
leash, and starts cussing at me, calling me all sorts of foul names,
and ends by telling me to "shut the f##k up, or he'll sue me for
upsetting his dog", who he went on to say is on sedatives for
nervousness......

Wouldn't you know, that just as that "idiot" is walking away, the
police pull up again. This time they are not smiling, and explain
that they have received NUMEROUS complaints about the noise.
I explain that I am only doing my job, it is mid day (not midnight),
and there is no other way to do my job. The cop tells me that I will
have to find another quieter way to do my work, and that they dont
want to have to come back again, or else they'll have to take me
downtown.

That did it, I threw my hammer on the concrete floor, went into the
house, and told the owner to take the nails back to Home Depot, and
get me drywall screws. I said I want big ones for the 2x4's. smaller
ones for the panels, and teeny tiny ones for the molding. I also told
him to get me a dozen phillips screwdrivers, a hand operated twist
drill, with a dozen bits, a good sharp hand saw, a caulking gun, and a
whole case of liquid nails cartridges. I also told him that to
complete the job, I must charge him an additional $500, because I must
do the job in silence, and that will require several extra days of
labor.

NOW I know why yuppies use those damn drywall screws !!!!!!!

jim

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

if you had a permit for the job well you should not have had any
problems with noise.. when they were building a new medical student
building in new orleans the workers worked 24 hrs. per day.. pile
driving.. medical students from a large complex next door called up
complaining about all the noise that the pile drivers were doing.. well
nothing could be done as the contractor had all his permits from the
city for a 24 hr. job... i guess they did not have any problems studing
as they all passed... and graduated....
Toller

I happen to like drywall screws; but each to his own.

Never heard of a noise complaint before though.

go fish

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

the_handyman wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Christopher, you are one stupid handyman. I'll bet it never dawned on your
pea-brain to get an electric nail gun

Since when does particle board meet the fire code for attached garages?

you must be more than one brick short of a full load

Klm

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:51:27 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I was raised then when you build something with wood, you use NAILS
and a HAMMER.

Doesn't sound right. How come a contractor didn't use a air nailer or
a air screwdriver? Very fast, easy to use and minimal noise.
CBhvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
the_handyman wrote in message
I never could figure out why yuppies use drywall screws instead of
nails whenever they build something with wood, (or more likely, hire
someone else to do it for them).

I was raised then when you build something with wood, you use NAILS
and a HAMMER.

I finally figured out the reason a few weeks ago. Being a handyman, I
had to do some work for a yuppie type individual, in a yuppie type
neighborhood. He lived in a condo, and wanted particle board
installed on the inside walls of his attached garage.

And that meets CODE where?? Not in NY...Not here...
So..you did a job thats not only unsafe, but illegal...

Thanks for sharing.

He was to
furnish the materials. I went there to start the job, and he had a
stack of particle board, some molding, a few 2X4's for the corners,
and a huge box of drywall screws. I looked at the screws with a
rather puzzled expression, and asked him if he wanted me to drywall
something too. He explained that the clerk at Home Depot said that
they are better than nails. I looked at this man, and said, "Sir,
they are made for DRYWALL, NOT particle board".
I then told him to take them back, and get the nails I ordered him to
buy, going on to explain that those screws will work ON THE PARTICLE
board, but NOT on the corner 2X4's nor the molding. I also told him
the if I had to use the screws on the p. board, I would have to charge
for additional labor, since it takes much longer to use them than
nails.

Where is your Paslode?

The customer took the screws back to Home Depot, and got my nails.
I began to install some corner 2X4's, and then the boards. After
installing the 3rd sheet, the man came out to the garage, praised my
work, but asked if there was any way I could do it more quietly,
explaining that the neighbor in the adjoining unit was complaining
about the noise. I explained that there is no way to be any more
quiet, and joked that no one makes a noiseless hammer.

Actually, they do...its MUCH more silent than what you were doing...

I proceeded to work, when suddenly a police car pulled up on the
driveway, right in front of me. The officer asked my name, and asked
what I was doing. I explained my job to the officer. The officer
said he was sorry, but said that the were called because of the noise.
The officer politely asked me to keep it as quiet as possible, and
drove off in their squad.

And, with permits, during daylight hours, you can tell the cops to **** up a
rope...but a licenced contractor knows that....

And you didnt walk up to the poor doggy, and scare the **** out of the mutt?

Wouldn't you know, that just as that "idiot" is walking away, the
police pull up again. This time they are not smiling, and explain
that they have received NUMEROUS complaints about the noise.
I explain that I am only doing my job, it is mid day (not midnight),
and there is no other way to do my job. The cop tells me that I will
have to find another quieter way to do my work, and that they dont
want to have to come back again, or else they'll have to take me
downtown.

And again, tell them to go away...IF you had a valid permit...that you cant
get as a hack...

That did it, I threw my hammer on the concrete floor, went into the
house, and told the owner to take the nails back to Home Depot, and
get me drywall screws. I said I want big ones for the 2x4's. smaller
ones for the panels, and teeny tiny ones for the molding. I also told
him to get me a dozen phillips screwdrivers, a hand operated twist
drill, with a dozen bits, a good sharp hand saw, a caulking gun, and a
whole case of liquid nails cartridges. I also told him that to
complete the job, I must charge him an additional $500, because I must
do the job in silence, and that will require several extra days of
labor.

So..what you are saying, is that because you cant load a screw gun and drive
a screw as fast as you can hammer..(tough..most can) you are gonna rip the
guy off on a job that wont meet code anyway....

You sir...are indeed a con artist.
Your fellow Mormons must be SO proud of you.

NOW I know why yuppies use those damn drywall screws !!!!!!!

Do you understand why contractors have licences and can pull permits too??

Stormin Mormon

I also really like drywall screws. I put them in with a #2 phillips screw
driver tip and an electric drill. Much easier than pounding.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

"Toller" wrote in message
I happen to like drywall screws; but each to his own.

Never heard of a noise complaint before though.

Stormin Mormon

Fish, you must simply stop swimming in polluted radiation water, it's
affecting your mind. Must be recent, you're usually spot on.

1) I'm not the author of this. Look closely at the text I left.
2) when I use drywalls (which is now and again) I use a drill with a screw
driver tip
3) I've got a few trades, but bricklaying isn't included.

--

---------------------

Christopher, you are one stupid handyman. I'll bet it never dawned on

your
pea-brain to get an electric nail gun

Since when does particle board meet the fire code for attached garages?

you must be more than one brick short of a full load

CBhvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Fish, you must simply stop swimming in polluted radiation water, it's
affecting your mind. Must be recent, you're usually spot on.

1) I'm not the author of this. Look closely at the text I left.

We did, and it sounded just like some stupid stuff you would do..

2) when I use drywalls (which is now and again) I use a drill with a screw
driver tip
3) I've got a few trades, but bricklaying isn't included.

Nor is HVAC.

Keep that in mind Lucifier..

"go fish" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

the_handyman wrote in message
.. .

---------------------

Christopher, you are one stupid handyman. I'll bet it never dawned on

your
pea-brain to get an electric nail gun

Since when does particle board meet the fire code for attached garages?

you must be more than one brick short of a full load

Jungle Jim

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

the_handyman wrote in message
I never could figure out why yuppies use drywall screws instead of
nails whenever they build something with wood, (or more likely,
hire someone else to do it for them).

I was raised then when you build something with wood, you use
NAILS and a HAMMER.

snip

That did it, I threw my hammer on the concrete floor, went into
the house, and told the owner to take the nails back to Home
Depot, and get me drywall screws. I said I want big ones for the
2x4's. smaller ones for the panels, and teeny tiny ones for the
molding. I also told him to get me a dozen phillips screwdrivers,
a hand operated twist drill, with a dozen bits, a good sharp hand
saw, a caulking gun, and a whole case of liquid nails cartridges.
I also told him that to complete the job, I must charge him an
additional $500, because I must do the job in silence, and that
will require several extra days of labor.

NOW I know why yuppies use those damn drywall screws !!!!!!!

These folks probably hven't done a lick of manual labor in their life,
and I'd steer clear of them in the future, unless you have them obtain
a proper permit.

But, as one who has done all types of DIY, I can't understand why you
would use a screwdriver rather than an electric screwgun or drill with
an appropriate bit. Twist drill and manual screwdriver sounds like
what a YUPPIE would use for this job.

Nearly all my projects are assembled with screws now, but deck screws
and not drywall. Drywall screws tend to break.

Stormin Mormon

I got the feeling that the original handyman was an older fellow who had
never worked with drywall (or deck) screws. I've used a lot of both, and
really like deck screws, and drywall screws, both.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"Jungle Jim" wrote in message
0...

But, as one who has done all types of DIY, I can't understand why you
would use a screwdriver rather than an electric screwgun or drill with
an appropriate bit. Twist drill and manual screwdriver sounds like
what a YUPPIE would use for this job.

Nearly all my projects are assembled with screws now, but deck screws
and not drywall. Drywall screws tend to break.

j j

OK that's just bull****.

they can't arrest you for hammering stuff inside a house in the middle of
the day. maybe you don't know this, but the police would, which means they'd
never actually tell you they'd "take you downtown" or come a second time.

TexasFireGuy

"Toller" wrote in message
I happen to like drywall screws; but each to his own.

Never heard of a noise complaint before though.

I get noise complaints all the time. Any time I use power tools outside,
such as my CMS or the TS, the lady next door calls the cops. They always
come out and talk to me while I work. They say they just have to put in an
appearance but can't really do anything. I might be a little irritated with
this neighbor of mine if it weren't for the fact that I pity her. After
all, she talks to her garbage can and the imaginary people that live in the
house with her.

Rex B

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:59:35 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

|I happen to like drywall screws; but each to his own.
|
|Never heard of a noise complaint before though.

A few years ago the new resident down the street was building a deck in his
backyard. All evening we heard

BAM BAm Bam bam bam.....
BAM BAm Bam bam bam.....
BAM BAm Bam bam bam.....
BAM BAm Bam bam bam.....

That guy must have had some kinda arm! He kept it up from the time I got home-
6:00, all evening long, never even stopped for more than 2 minutes (to get more
nails?). I finally gave up at midnight, went out on the porch and yelled down
the street. "QUIET!!!" It stopped, and did not restart

Me, I use drywall screws whenever possible.
Rex in Fort Worth
Chris Lewis

According to Stormin Mormon :
I got the feeling that the original handyman was an older fellow who had
never worked with drywall (or deck) screws. I've used a lot of both, and
really like deck screws, and drywall screws, both.

Drywall screws? Phillips heads! Yuck! Off with their heads! [pun intended]

I use square drive flat head deck screws for just about _everything_ these
days.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
E5I5O

My only question is with Drywall screws how do you keep the screw gun or
drill plastic from breaking while you are pounbding them in?

E5

Stormin Mormon

Wrap drill in several layers of duct tape.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated