Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

"Capitol" wrote in message

John Wright wrote:

The Prius is never a hazard to emergency services - the HV battery is
cut off in the case of *any* eventuality, and all the cables are
armoured, coloured orange and contained in protective channels to
prevent this very eventuality.

So that's why the US has issued special "leave it alone" instructions for
dealing with Prius accidents then!

Only because firemen have never worked on them before. Do you think firemen
treat a milk float the same way as a petrol car? Petrol is very volatile
fuel, but we managed to make is reasonable safe. Batteries? Piece of cake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article . 170,
Adrian wrote:
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Pay attention, modern battery packs are not big, especially Lith
batteries.

I've never seen Lithium batteries even *remotely* close to the sort of
capacity that'd be needed for any sensible range on an electric car.
What sort of size do you think they'd be?

** snip drivel and senile babble **

sad but true. Do you know they are going to cut your benefit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Clive

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Clive" wrote in message
In message
enews.net, Doctor
Drivel writes
Pay attention, modern battery packs are not big, especially Lith
batteries.

Pay attention, modern Li-ion cells are used to power phones and
they're normally running out of puff after two years use, that's less
than 100 charges. What good are batteries that lose charge whilst
standing, loose efficiency over time and loose poisonous or highly
corrosive chemicals in the event of an accident.

You have been told to stop making things up.

Such as?
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Clive" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Clive" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
Pay attention, modern battery packs are not big, especially Lith
batteries.

Pay attention, modern Li-ion cells are used to power phones and they're
normally running out of puff after two years use, that's less than 100
charges. What good are batteries that lose charge whilst standing,
loose efficiency over time and loose poisonous or highly corrosive
chemicals in the event of an accident.

You have been told to stop making things up.

Such as?

Just about most.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Phil Bradshaw

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message

Adrian wrote:

I've never seen Lithium batteries even *remotely* close to the sort of
capacity that'd be needed for any sensible range on an electric car.
What sort of size do you think they'd be?

About the size of a shoe box?
About the size of a box of 5 reams of A4 paper?
About the size of a domestic washing machine?

Well, Lithium is about half the density of water, so taking a previous
posters estimate of 600Kg, thats about 300 litres of water, approaching
70 gallons of space, 5 petrol tanks, plus the cooling space required, say
another(6th) petrol tank. That's before you consider the hazards of
having Lithium in your vehicle. Lithium reacts quite nicely with water,
phone batteries are already known to have exploded, as have some of the
military lithium battery pack units. So building in some mechanical
protection for the battery pack(and driver) is going to add quite a bit
more weight to
the vehicle, the steel gets thicker and the load space shrinks even
further. I'm sure others can further help IMM see more follies in his
thinking. At least the Prius with Nimh batteries is only a major
electrical hazard to the emergency services and service technicians, the
driver is quite safe if he/she doesn't want to go on motorways, where
they seem rather prone to random stopping events.

Proof please?

The last time I checked, they were doing quite well at degrading Toyota's
reputation for outstanding reliability.

The Prius is one of the most reliable cars in he USA - JD Power and all
that.

After 90 days of ownership...

And after?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Alistair J Murray

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Alistair J Murray" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...crushing continents...]

A Prius will do that no problem and return superb mpg.

But in *far* less comfort.

You should stop making things up.

I'm not, I drive a car optimised for carrying four people rapidly across
large distances, of course it's much more comfortable than a city
shopping car.

[...]

Even those who've heard of it very, very rarely buy one.

Because of the waiting list.

....because it's not worth Toyota's trouble to make them in Corolla
quantities.

[...]

On a recent journey through Germany I averaged ~140mph.

You can't here, and shouldn't there either. That is irresponsible on a
public road. You should be locked up.

It's legal and safe, lots of Germans travel that way every day. I wish
our roads were as relaxed and well mannered.

[...]

A Prius does 50-70mph in 7.9s, my car takes 2.5s; much safer.

It isn't safer at all.

Yes it is; it reduces the time exposed to danger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...crushing continents...]

A Prius will do that no problem and return superb mpg.

But in *far* less comfort.

You should stop making things up.

I'm not, I drive a car optimised for carrying four people rapidly across
large distances, of course it's much more comfortable than a city
shopping car.

I'm sure it is. The Prius, being only slightly smaller than a Camry is brill
for that too.

On a recent journey through Germany I averaged ~140mph.

You can't here, and shouldn't there either. That is irresponsible on a
public road. You should be locked up.

It's legal and safe,

You should be locked up anyway. It would be for your own good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Clive

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...crushing continents...]

A Prius will do that no problem and return superb mpg.

But in *far* less comfort.

You should stop making things up.

I'm not, I drive a car optimised for carrying four people rapidly across
large distances, of course it's much more comfortable than a city
shopping car.

I'm sure it is. The Prius, being only slightly smaller than a Camry is
brill for that too.

On a recent journey through Germany I averaged ~140mph.

You can't here, and shouldn't there either. That is irresponsible on a
public road. You should be locked up.

It's legal and safe,

You should be locked up anyway. It would be for your own good.

You're either in short trousers, or incontinence pads.
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Clive" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...crushing continents...]

A Prius will do that no problem and return superb mpg.

But in *far* less comfort.

You should stop making things up.

I'm not, I drive a car optimised for carrying four people rapidly across
large distances, of course it's much more comfortable than a city
shopping car.

I'm sure it is. The Prius, being only slightly smaller than a Camry is
brill for that too.

On a recent journey through Germany I averaged ~140mph.

You can't here, and shouldn't there either. That is irresponsible on a
public road. You should be locked up.

It's legal and safe,

You should be locked up anyway. It would be for your own good.

You're

You need locking up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

John Wright ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

Yes, well... Since many petrol stations have a base station hidden in the
sign, transmitting at a power massively in excess of that of a handset...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Capitol

John Wright wrote:
I'm not, I drive a car optimised for carrying four people rapidly across
large distances, of course it's much more comfortable than a city
shopping car.

I'm sure it is. The Prius, being only slightly smaller than a Camry is brill
for that too.

It is - its actually rated as a five seater and people have said that
when the driving seat is adjusted for 6'2" plus drivers there is still
plenty of leg room in the back

So, we have a town car unsuitable for towns because it is too large
(and with crap rear visibility) and a town car unsuitable for long
distances because it has very poor lateral stability and inadequate
luggage space. When you change the tyres for ones which have some grip
in the wet, the fuel economy falls. It also stops entirely when it
snows.( The motor is cut off to prevent overheating of the transmission
if the wheels slip--apparently it's a "design feature".) The 5 people,
I presume is for two adults and three children with next to no luggage?
Sounds like an overgrown Fiesta/Corsa(also rated for 5 people). Having
seen the product, I would describe it as an overpriced minority
purchase, probably not as visually attractive as an Aga. I wonder if
they sell more Agas than Priusi? I see that the transaxles are beginning
to fail in the US and these do not appear to be under warranty.

Regards
Capitol
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Capitol

John Wright wrote:
We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here(hear) of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

Buncefield?

Regards
Capitol
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Capitol" wrote in message

John Wright wrote:
I'm not, I drive a car optimised for carrying four people rapidly across
large distances, of course it's much more comfortable than a city
shopping car.

I'm sure it is. The Prius, being only slightly smaller than a Camry is
brill for that too.

It is - its actually rated as a five seater and people have said that
when the driving seat is adjusted for 6'2" plus drivers there is still
plenty of leg room in the back

So, we have a town car unsuitable for towns because it is too large

I suppose most of the cars out there are too large then. He goes on...

(and with crap rear visibility)

Not so. Again he rants....

and a town car unsuitable for long distances because it has very poor
lateral stability

He just made that up...and on again....

and inadequate luggage space.

more making upness....

When you change the tyres for ones which have some grip in the wet, the
fuel economy falls.

To 3 mpg? ...he babbles on.....

It also stops entirely when it snows.( The motor is cut off to prevent
overheating of the transmission if the wheels slip--apparently it's a
"design feature".)

Slipping wheels make a car dig in....the drivel continues....

The 5 people, I presume is for two adults and three children with next to
no luggage?

Nope 5 adults and lots of luggage. He fantasises again...

Sounds like an overgrown Fiesta/Corsa
(also rated for 5 people).

Is the Corsa the size of a Camry? He thibnks so...he goes on....

Having seen the product,

In pictures.

I would describe it as an overpriced minority purchase, probably not as
visually attractive as an Aga.

A Philistine as well....he dreams on...

I wonder if they sell more Agas than Priusi?

He asks odd condfused questions now....

I see that the transaxles are beginning to fail in the US and these do not
appear to be under warranty.

More fantasy. Sad but true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Capitol" wrote in message

John Wright wrote:
We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here(hear) of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a
mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

Buncefield?

When have you filled up there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

John Wright ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when
did you last here(hear) of a petrol station fire caused by a spark
from a mobile phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been
around for 20 years.

Buncefield?

That was not demonstrated in any way to be due to a mobile phone.

Nor was it demonstrated to be due to petrol, but let's not let facts get in
the way, shall we?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Alistair J Murray

John Wright wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:06:20 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:
"Alistair J Murray" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not, I drive a car optimised for carrying four people rapidly
across large distances, of course it's much more comfortable than
a city shopping car.

I'm sure it is. The Prius, being only slightly smaller than a Camry
is brill for that too.

It is - its actually rated as a five seater and people have said that
when the driving seat is adjusted for 6'2" plus drivers there is
still plenty of leg room in the back

My car is equipped with five 3-point seatbelts but the rear seat is
shaped to accommodate two in huge comfort. It is also near silent and
free of vibration, even at very high speeds, allowing passengers to
converse without raising their voices and reducing fatigue

On a recent journey through Germany I averaged ~140mph.

Why?

Too much traffic to sustain 165mph.

I see no purpose in unnecessarily extending the time spent on the road
when it could be spent drinking cold beer in good company at journey's end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

wrote:
[...]

No doubt about it. He should locked up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Wright wrote:
We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

If you open the bonnet in total darkness it's fun to watch the sparks from
the starter motor. So all cars should be pushed from the forecourt before
starting up after filling up...

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
John Wright wrote:
We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

If you open the bonnet in total darkness it's fun to watch the sparks from
the starter motor. So all cars should be pushed from the forecourt before
starting up after filling up...

Being in the two-way radio bizz we once tried out of causal interest if
we could ignite some petrol with the powers that a mobile phone used and
just couldn't do it. We could if the power was increased very
substantially.

The real reason for that prohibition was to stop the mobile from
possibly interfering with the pump electronics, thus giving erroneous
readings!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Bob Mannix

"John Wright" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:54:44 +0000, Capitol
wrote:

John Wright wrote:

The Prius is never a hazard to emergency services - the HV battery is
cut off in the case of *any* eventuality, and all the cables are
armoured, coloured orange and contained in protective channels to
prevent this very eventuality.

So that's why the US has issued special "leave it alone" instructions
for dealing with Prius accidents then!

On the basis of "better safe than sorry". Its easy to design a
contactor which only makes when its energised, so any interruption to
the energising power opens the contacts - these are used all over
industry. Thus there is no hazard. But to allay the fears of people,
they issue weird non sensical instructions.

We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

They are not worried about sparks and fires but the possibility the pump
measurement systems may be interfered with and customers might be
undercharged. It suits them for customers to believe it's a safety issue
though!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

John Wright ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Buncefield?

That was not demonstrated in any way to be due to a mobile phone.

Nor was it demonstrated to be due to petrol, but let's not let facts
get in the way, shall we?

Well indeed, there are few facts around at the moment except that most
of the people in the area talk of a strong smell of something.

Compelling evidence... Not.

As you drive past up the M1, there's a very strong smell of diesel/kerosene
rather than petrol, and it was the aviation fuel side of the depot that
suffered the worst devastation.

If I smelled a strong smell of petrol at a filling station I would get
away from there PDQ.

As would anybody with a quarter of a brain cell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Jonathan Marten

"Bob Mannix" writes:
"John Wright" wrote in message
We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

They are not worried about sparks and fires but the possibility the pump
measurement systems may be interfered with and customers might be
undercharged. It suits them for customers to believe it's a safety issue
though!

If there was any possibility of that, then an urban legend would
almost certainly have spread by now:

"Get someone to call you on your mobile as you fill up with petrol.
It will affect the pump and you'll pay less for your tankful."

I've never heard that one before - have you?

--
Jonathan Marten
http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk/ play:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
John

"Jonathan Marten" wrote in message
news
"Bob Mannix" writes:
"John Wright" wrote in message
We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

They are not worried about sparks and fires but the possibility the pump
measurement systems may be interfered with and customers might be
undercharged. It suits them for customers to believe it's a safety issue
though!

If there was any possibility of that, then an urban legend would
almost certainly have spread by now:

"Get someone to call you on your mobile as you fill up with petrol.
It will affect the pump and you'll pay less for your tankful."

I've never heard that one before - have you?

There used to be a story going the rounds when cb radio was popular in the
eighties and nineties that transmitting a carrier at high power through an
afterburner would swamp the metering systems in electronic pumps. Not having
had an afterburner in those days I can't say for sure if it worked or not

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Mark Goodge

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:09:49 +0000 (UTC), John put finger to keyboard
and typed:

"Bob Mannix" writes:
[...]

According to one of the CB magazines at the time, it was an urban
legend. The magazine (I think it may have been Breaker, but I'm not
100% certain) carried a fairly long article on how one of the pump
manufacturers (Gilbarco, IIRC) had done some pretty intense testing
and concluded that CB radios did not cause any problems for their
products.

Of course, the mag had a vested interest in presenting such findings,
as this was prior to legalisation and they wanted to publish material
which contradicted some of the claimed reasons why CB should remain
unlawful. But I don't think that necessarily undermines the facts
reported in the article; had the results gone the other way they
simply wouldn't have have written it.

Mark
--
http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, lyrics and ringtones
"Life is both a major and a minor key"

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"John Wright" wrote in message

I saw a Prius in police colours in London the other day. A quick Google
and....

"TOYOTA PRIUS HELPS SAFER NEIGHBOURHOODS
Thanks to a partnership deal between The Metropolitan Police Service,
National Car Rental and Toyota, the 94 Safer Neighbourhoods teams across
London have been given the use of Toyota Prius Hybrid cars."

The Flying Squad will naturally want them too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Andy Hall

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:15:24 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"John Wright" wrote in message
.. .

I saw a Prius in police colours in London the other day. A quick Google
and....

"TOYOTA PRIUS HELPS SAFER NEIGHBOURHOODS
Thanks to a partnership deal between The Metropolitan Police Service,
National Car Rental and Toyota, the 94 Safer Neighbourhoods teams across
London have been given the use of Toyota Prius Hybrid cars."

The Flying Squad will naturally want them too.

Are you really so gullible as to be sucked in by this one?

It's a marketing game.

1) Manufacturer gets press release.

2) Lease is short (typically 6 months) and at the end of it the car
goes onto the secondhand market to boost the market share there.

It's a standard game used for minority interest manufacturers and
models.

Some years ago before personal car leasing was as widely available as
it is now, I found deals through several of the car rental companies
where you could get quite good monthly pricing on relatively obscure
cars in this way. I had a succession of Saabs and the like this
way. Each was on a maximum of 5 months lease and mileage allowance
was limited. The lease pricing was partly supported by the
manufacturer's marketing budget and the purpose was entirely to boost
market share.

Toyota must be pretty desperate if they are having to resort to deals
like this.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

"John Wright" wrote in message
. ..

I saw a Prius in police colours in
London the other day. A quick Google
and....

"TOYOTA PRIUS HELPS SAFER NEIGHBOURHOODS
Thanks to a partnership deal between
The Metropolitan Police Service,
National Car Rental and Toyota, the
94 Safer Neighbourhoods teams across
London have been given the use of Toyota
Prius Hybrid cars."

The Flying Squad will naturally want them too.

Are you really so gullible as to be sucked in by this one?

Do you mean those police cars were not the Prius?

[...]

You made all that up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Andy Hall

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:57:09 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"John Wright" wrote in message

I saw a Prius in police colours in
London the other day. A quick Google
and....

"TOYOTA PRIUS HELPS SAFER NEIGHBOURHOODS
Thanks to a partnership deal between
The Metropolitan Police Service,
National Car Rental and Toyota, the
94 Safer Neighbourhoods teams across
London have been given the use of Toyota
Prius Hybrid cars."

The Flying Squad will naturally want them too.

Are you really so gullible as to be sucked in by this one?

Do you mean those police cars were not the Prius?

Don't be silly...

[...]

Would you like to see copies of the lease agreements? I'll happily
email or post them to you.

http://www.accountancyage.com/financ...cisions-leases

From Avis Maxirent Ts & Cs

"Please note that we are then unable to change the car unless it is
due to mechanical problems or the manufacturer mileage restriction has
been reached. "

i.e. manufacturer sets mileage limit. Of course he does to maintain
resale value.

National Car Rental also have an identical offering called 3to6auto.

These leasing deals also have the advantage for the manufacturer of
being able to terminate the lease or swap out for another car without
embarrassment if something bad happens and the product doesn't work
out.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Phil Bradshaw

wrote:

[...]

Unlikely. Such and similar 'marketing strategies' are commonplace.
Maybe you should read some trade journals. I suggest Motor Industry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Capitol

Andy Hall wrote:
Toyota must be pretty desperate if they are having to resort to deals
like this.

I don't think it's desperation, it's a cheap publicity stunt. You
deliberately produce only low volumes of an overpriced, trendy,
uneconomic product, then subsidise it by allocating the costs to the
marketing budget. Interesting that Honda are achieving far, far, better
fuel consumption figures with the Civic in the US, than the Prius
achieves. (Nearly as good as a diesel)

Regards
Capitol

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Capitol" wrote in message

Andy Hall wrote:
Toyota must be pretty desperate if they are having to resort to deals
like this.

I don't think it's desperation, it's a cheap publicity stunt. You
deliberately produce only low volumes of an overpriced, trendy, uneconomic
product,

That doesn't fit because they used a Prius.

Interesting that Honda are achieving far, far, better fuel consumption
figures with the Civic in the US, than the Prius achieves. (Nearly as good
as a diesel)

The Civic is a hybrid. Did you notice? Diesels? Tractors? You are
scraping the barrel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Killa

wrote:

The Flying Squad will naturally want them too.

Please let us know if you find out any further info.

It will be certainly be reasuring to know that, in these days when you
can be shot by the police just for looking like someone else and
carrying a ruck sack, that you will be able to take evasive action, if
required, and out-run their Prius patrol cars, leaving them miles
behind in a matter of minutes, just by pressing gently on your
accelerator pedal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

m...
wrote:

The Flying Squad will naturally want them too.

Please let us know if you find out any further info.

It will be certainly be reasuring to know that, in these days when you
can be shot by the police just for looking like someone else and
carrying a ruck sack, that you will be able to take evasive action, if
required, and out-run their Prius patrol cars, leaving them miles
behind in a matter of minutes, just by pressing gently on your
accelerator pedal.

Look back on the thread, they outdo a BMW in acceleration. And when the
sporty versions come in you will be laced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Capitol ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Toyota must be pretty desperate if they are having to resort to deals
like this.

I don't think it's desperation, it's a cheap publicity stunt.

They certainly wouldn't be doing it if there was the large waiting list
that Dribble proclaims.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Toyota must be pretty desperate if they are having to resort to
deals like this.

I don't think it's desperation, it's a cheap publicity stunt. You
deliberately produce only low volumes of an overpriced, trendy,
uneconomic product,

That doesn't fit because they used a Prius.

Sounds like it fits just find to me.

Interesting that Honda are achieving far, far, better fuel
consumption figures with the Civic in the US, than the Prius
achieves. (Nearly as good as a diesel)

The Civic is a hybrid.

Hardly a "Hybrid" - The Civic IMA cannot be run on electrickery only. It's
only an extension into production of the Dynalto concept that PSA had
running a few years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...

I don't think it's desperation, it's a cheap publicity stunt.

They certainly wouldn't be doing it if there was the large waiting list

Exactly. The police want spacious, clean, ultra economical and reliable
cars with image, so they went with the Prius.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...

Interesting that Honda are achieving far, far, better fuel
consumption figures with the Civic in the US, than the Prius
achieves. (Nearly as good as a diesel)

The Civic is a hybrid.

Our brain of Britain said.....

Hardly a "Hybrid" - The Civic IMA cannot be
run on electrickery only.

A hybrid uses an IC engine and an electric motor too, as does the Honda. He
probably didn't know this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . 170,
Adrian wrote:
Interesting that Honda are achieving far, far, better fuel
consumption figures with the Civic in the US, than the Prius
achieves. (Nearly as good as a diesel)

The Civic is a hybrid.

Hardly a "Hybrid" - The Civic IMA cannot be run on electrickery only.
It's only an extension into production of the Dynalto concept that PSA
had running a few years ago.

You gotta remember dribble's learning difficulties. A word to him only
means what he thinks it should mean. Gearbox. CVT. Etc?

So 'hybrid' to him automatically means good fuel consumption - despite any
real world results showing quite the reverse under many circumstances.

Oh - and Civic doesn't mean hybrid.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:51:14 +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:27:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote
(in message ):

Lithium cells have a theoretical energy desnity of 350Wh per kg...and
already up to half that or more has been achieved.

So 3kg per kWh, or 300kg for a 100kWh battery. I think that's wiped out any
weight saving from removing the engine & gearbox from most small cars. That's
assuming development to the full potential, at present it's going to be a
600kg battery.

I agree. Its no better.
But its NO WORSE either.

The actual weight of an IC power trains is massive.
In the electric, its only the batery that really weighs