Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

They also fail to see the benefits of such a car which are many and
outstrip all other cars.

Until it can do 700 miles on one tank of fuel, it can't outstrip mine.

No one needs a range of 700 miles in the UK. Scraping the barrel here
aren't we. Boy you are slow.

No one needs a car in the centre of cities. Especially London. Which makes
the Prius primary raison d'etre pointless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I'll end up kill filing you if you keep insisting that your
experience with building models scales to automotive use.

You clearly are thick. A battery well is a battery. Most prototypes
are in models anyway.

There's definitely a Nobel prize for physics due for Drivel.

If he can make his ideas work, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

My current car can corner at 1G, reducing wasteful braking...

Prius braking is regen and charges athe battery.

What's that got to do with cornering at 1G?

Braking is not wasteful. Boy you are slow.

Nor is it in a "normal" car - if you know how to drive properly, you very
rarely use the brakes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
John Wright wrote:

Where else is this sort of CVT merged
with an epicyclic power splitter
used then? I suspect the car type
CVT most people are familiar with
would contain pulleys and belts

Shame on you.

Yes shame on his for having the intelligence to figure it out. Boy you are
dumb.

A gearbox contains gears, not surprisingly.

A CVT is a constantly variable transmission.

Good 10/10.

The Prius type is an
epicyclic gearbox

No. It doesn't have an in-line gearbox.

- and this can achieve stepless
variable ratios from no drive to
the mathematical maximum according
to how the ring gear is allowed to rotate.

No. The epicyclical cluster shares power between two parallel motors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Wright wrote:
When the LNER electrified the Manchester Sheffield and Wath section of
the MS&L over the Pennines the electric locos generated power under
retardation which was fed back into the catenaries for re-use. This
system was stopped when the use on that line (now closed altogether)
declined.

London Underground trains still work like this. Many buses have a flywheel
which is spun up when they brake, then used to help get it on the move
again.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , John Wright
writes

Where else is this sort of CVT merged with an epicyclic power splitter
used then? I suspect the car type CVT most people are familiar with would
contain pulleys and belts

The one in a Micra uses plates instead of belts and pushes instead of
pulls.

That is an in-line gearbox (shifting ratios). The Prius does not have an
in-line gearbox, it has a small simple power splitter that merges the output
of two motors in parallel to present the combined output as one to the
wheels. Simple. No inline gearbox, no extra complexity and weight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

They also fail to see the benefits of such a car which are many and
outstrip all other cars.

Until it can do 700 miles on one tank of fuel, it can't outstrip mine.

No one needs a range of 700 miles
in the UK. Scraping the barrel here
aren't we. Boy you are slow.

No one needs a car in the centre of cities.

It is clear you haven't been to a city lately. Dumb bumpkins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

My current car can corner at 1G, reducing wasteful braking...

Prius braking is regen and charges athe battery.

What's that got to do with cornering at 1G?

Braking is not wasteful. Boy you are slow.

Nor is it in a "normal" car - if you know how to drive properly, you very
rarely use the brakes.

This confirms that you are just plain thick, not slow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Clive

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
This confirms that you are just plain thick, not slow.

That's where you don't understand. Converting kinetic energy to
electrical energy has losses and the conversion back again has losses,
so the Prius does lose energy which the unbraking cornering car does
not. Boy are you thick.
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Clive" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

This confirms that you are just plain thick, not slow.

That's where you don't understand. Converting kinetic energy to
electrical energy has losses and the conversion back again has losses, so
the Prius does lose energy which the unbraking cornering car does not.

But a braking cornering car loses all energy, while a Prius does not. Also,
the newer Toshiba batteries will take all the charge created, so even more
efficient when they come out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Phil Bradshaw" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The epicyclical cluster shares power

The gearbox then.

Gearboxes don't share power. Boy are you dumb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

The Prius type is an
epicyclic gearbox

No. It doesn't have an in-line gearbox.

No. The epicyclical cluster shares power between two parallel motors.

And what does it DO with the power from those two parallel motors?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

No one needs a range of 700 miles
in the UK. Scraping the barrel here
aren't we. Boy you are slow.

No one needs a car in the centre of cities.

It is clear you haven't been to a city lately. Dumb bumpkins.

Umm, let me think... I was in at London Bridge on Friday Barely 48 hours
ago. By public transport.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

But a braking cornering car loses all energy, while a Prius does not.

Neither lose *all* energy.

You cannot create or lose energy. Basic physics.

Also, the newer Toshiba batteries will take all the charge created, so
even more efficient when they come out.

No, they will not. Unless the regeneration and charging is 100% efficient.
Which it isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Phil Bradshaw

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The epicyclical cluster shares power

The gearbox then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Adrian wrote:
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I'll end up kill filing you if you keep insisting that your
experience with building models scales to automotive use.

You clearly are thick. A battery well is a battery. Most prototypes
are in models anyway.

There's definitely a Nobel prize for physics due for Drivel.

If he can make his ideas work, of course.

I think you missed out an "Ig" there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Clive wrote:
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Someone pedalled an aircraft across the Channel in 1977,

I remember Gossamer Albatross crossing the channel under pedal power, I
didn't realise it was so long ago. Didn't they win a prize that had
been outstanding for about 50 years?

Yes, they did and as mentioned the same designer/team created another
"gossamer" which flew powered by solar cells from Paris to London. An
incredible feat but not one that leads to viable electric powered aircraft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I ... WANK ... and ... type crap.

True, and so sad.

Have ... problem ... Get help, please get help.

You need it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , Capitol
writes
'The engine has a calculated 30% working volume efficiency compared
to the 10% of a Wankel, and 4% for a piston engine.'

All this means is the volume of the rotary unit to the volume of the
reciprocating unit for overall engine mass. It bears no connection
with the efficiency of the engine itself.

... confused.

You are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Steve Firth" fresh from kicking **** wrote in
message ...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I am thick so simple.

Indeed you are.

... problem ... will never get over it.

You won't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Clive

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Clive wrote:
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Someone pedalled an aircraft across the Channel in 1977,

I remember Gossamer Albatross crossing the channel under pedal power,
I didn't realise it was so long ago. Didn't they win a prize that
had been outstanding for about 50 years?

Yes, they did and as mentioned the same designer/team created another
"gossamer" which flew powered by solar cells from Paris to London. An
incredible feat but not one that leads to viable electric powered
aircraft.

Please don't put me in a class of D. Drivel & Co.
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...

Doctor Drivel )

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs_cars.shtml

The Prius is averaging 66mpg UK Official US gov figures. No contest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Clive

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
But a braking cornering car loses all energy, while a Prius does not.
Also, the newer Toshiba batteries will take all the charge created, so
even more efficient when they come out.

The motors will have efficiency losses on both conversions regardless of
the battery which will no doubt have some of it's own and no wiring is
lossless unless supercooled, so the 1G cornering car is lossless apart
from tyre friction the Prius is not. Boy are you thick.
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

Clive wrote:
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Someone pedalled an aircraft across the Channel in 1977,

I remember Gossamer Albatross crossing the channel under pedal power, I
didn't realise it was so long ago. Didn't they win a prize that had
been outstanding for about 50 years?

Yes, they did and as mentioned the same designer/team created another
"gossamer" which flew powered by solar cells from Paris to London. An
incredible feat but not one that leads to viable electric powered
aircraft.

They said that about Porches hybrids. Now we have them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

No one needs a range of 700 miles
in the UK. Scraping the barrel here
aren't we. Boy you are slow.

No one needs a car in the centre of cities.

It is clear you haven't been to a city lately. Dumb bumpkins.

Umm, let me think... I was in at London
Bridge on Friday Barely 48 hours
go. By public transport.

Did you notice all the cars? Those are the metal things in the road going
brum, brum, brum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Steve Firth" fresh from kicking **** wrote in
message ...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not here to win the arguments. I am here to tell you what I know,
because I thought you might be interested, and to listen to what others
say, because I am interested. Except Drivel of coures - after an
agonising
30 seconds when I balanced the amusement of watching his dribbles,
against
the waste of time responding to them, I kill filed him.

I'll end up kill filing you if you keep insisting that your experience
with building models scales to automotive use.

You clearly are thick.

Says the man unable to make a clean cut with a hacksaw.

A battery well is a battery.

No, a battery well is a battery well. It's where we put the batteries on
boats. If you mean "a battery is a battery irrespective of size" then
you are wrong again. Stack individuals cells together in batteries and
as the battery size grows, cooling becomes an issue. A large battery is
not the same as a small battery simply because there is a different
surface to volume ratio. As you rearrange the cells in a large battery
to maintain the same surface to colume ratio, then energy density falls.

BTW, I expect all of this to go over your pointy little head.

Most prototypes are in models anyway.

Bull****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have no time for arrogant pretentious
snotty uni people.

Good to see you admitting that you don't have a degree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Clive wrote:
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Someone pedalled an aircraft across the Channel in 1977,
I remember Gossamer Albatross crossing the channel under pedal power, I
didn't realise it was so long ago. Didn't they win a prize that had
been outstanding for about 50 years?

Yes, they did and as mentioned the same designer/team created another
"gossamer" which flew powered by solar cells from Paris to London. An
incredible feat but not one that leads to viable electric powered
aircraft.

Please don't put me in a class of D. Drivel & Co.

You never could be as I am pure class.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Clive" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

But a braking cornering car loses all energy, while a Prius does not.
Also, the newer Toshiba batteries will take all the charge created, so
even more efficient when they come out.

The motors will have efficiency losses

Normal crock cars have no efficiency at all when braking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Clive

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
The Prius is averaging 66mpg UK Official US gov figures. No contest.

Wrong again. It was revealed a few nights ago on ABC evening news that
the mpg figure were obtained in a shed on a rolling road at 54mph with
no rolling resistance and no wind resistance and all drains on the
engine neglected. Because so many people complained about unrealistic
government figures, they changed to real life tests and the Prius is now
officially 37.3 US mpg. You're not only uninformed but boy are you
dumb.
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Clive

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
Did you notice all the cars? Those are the metal things in the road
going brum, brum, brum.

Drivel in child mode. (As usual.)
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Phil Bradshaw wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The epicyclical cluster shares power

The gearbox then.

Dribble obviously doesn't understand that cluster in this case means 'gear
cluster'. How he wriggles and squirms. If he were more intelligent he
might be a troll.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

No one needs a range of 700 miles
in the UK. Scraping the barrel here
aren't we. Boy you are slow.

No one needs a car in the centre of cities.

It is clear you haven't been to a city lately. Dumb bumpkins.

Umm, let me think... I was in at London
Bridge on Friday Barely 48 hours
go. By public transport.

Did you notice all the cars? Those are the metal things in the road
going brum, brum, brum.

I did. Yes. The vast vast majority of "metal things on the road going brum,
brum, brum" were buses, taxis or commercial vehicles.

Very few private cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Steve Firth" fresh from kicking **** wrote in
message ...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not here to win the arguments. I am here to tell you what I know,
because I thought you might be interested, and to listen to what others
say, because I am interested. Except Drivel of coures - after an
agonising
30 seconds when I balanced the amusement of watching his dribbles,
against
the waste of time responding to them, I kill filed him.

I'll end up kill filing you if you keep insisting that your experience
with building models scales to automotive use.

You clearly are thick.

Says the man unable to make a clean cut with a hacksaw.

What clean cut is this you are talking about. And this still does not gloss
over that you are just plain thick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

You never could be as I am pure class.

....to be said with a Japanese accent...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have no time for arrogant pretentious snotty uni people.

Good to see you admitting that you don't have a degree.

I have one, from a poper uni, not a snot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Adrian" wrote in message
44.170...
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

No one needs a range of 700 miles
in the UK. Scraping the barrel here
aren't we. Boy you are slow.

No one needs a car in the centre of cities.

It is clear you haven't been to a city lately. Dumb bumpkins.

Umm, let me think... I was in at London
Bridge on Friday Barely 48 hours
go. By public transport.

Did you notice all the cars? Those are the metal things in the road
going brum, brum, brum.

I did. Yes. The vast vast majority
of "metal things on the road going brum,
brum, brum" were buses, taxis or
commercial vehicles.

Very few private cars.

So you didn't notice them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

"Clive" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
The Prius is averaging 66mpg UK Official US gov figures. No contest.

Wrong again. It was revealed a few nights ago on ABC evening news that
the mpg figure were obtained in a shed on a rolling road at 54mph with no
rolling resistance and no wind resistance and all drains on the engine
neglected. Because so many people complained about unrealistic
government figures, they changed to real life tests and the Prius is now
officially 37.3 US mpg.

Nope. I gave you the figures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have no time for arrogant pretentious snotty uni people.

Good to see you admitting that you don't have a degree.

I have one, from a poper uni, not a snot.

You attended a Catholic university?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Phil Bradshaw wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The epicyclical cluster shares power

The gearbox then.

** snip senility **

I find it amazing that about only one on this thread, besides me, can
actually figure out how the Prius works. These loonies still this a
conventional CVT is in the Prius.

Sad but true.