Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Jonathan Marten

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

"Bob Mannix" writes:
"John Wright" wrote in message
We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

They are not worried about sparks and fires but the possibility the pump
measurement systems may be interfered with and customers might be
undercharged. It suits them for customers to believe it's a safety issue
though!

If there was any possibility of that, then an urban legend would
almost certainly have spread by now:

"Get someone to call you on your mobile as you fill up with petrol.
It will affect the pump and you'll pay less for your tankful."

I've never heard that one before - have you?

--
Jonathan Marten
http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk/ play: