Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
tony sayer

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
John Wright wrote:
We're told not to use mobile phones on petrol forecourts but when did
you last here of a petrol station fire caused by a spark from a mobile
phone? You never have, and mobile phones have been around for 20
years.

If you open the bonnet in total darkness it's fun to watch the sparks from
the starter motor. So all cars should be pushed from the forecourt before
starting up after filling up...

Being in the two-way radio bizz we once tried out of causal interest if
we could ignite some petrol with the powers that a mobile phone used and
just couldn't do it. We could if the power was increased very
substantially.

The real reason for that prohibition was to stop the mobile from
possibly interfering with the pump electronics, thus giving erroneous
readings!....
--
Tony Sayer