Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Default compression fittings..... pah!

My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a treat.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
news

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them
and coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or
similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin
& pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a
treat.

pushfit, pushfit, pushfit :-)

Lobster

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a treat.

Not how they are designed to work though: I hope they hold in the long term!

David

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
saying something like:

My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Or simply give them a smear of Boss White or similar before you do them
up in the first place.
--

Dave

Chris Bacon

Pet wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a treat.

So it's a rotten useless joint, then.
Doctor Drivel

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote in message
o.uk...
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a treat.

Use the best quality fitting like Conex, and a very slight smear of jointing
compound and no probs. Don't buy cheap crap.

Doctor Drivel

"news" wrote in message
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them
and coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or
similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin
& pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a
treat.

pushfit, pushfit, pushfit :-)

Push into the bin.

If you need to use plastic pipe use good quality compression joints with the
olive wrapped in PTFE on the plastic pipe. A far better and cheaper joint
than pushfit. Also easily demountable.

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"news" wrote in message
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them
and coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or
similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin
& pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a
treat.

pushfit, pushfit, pushfit :-)

Push into the bin.

If you need to use plastic pipe use good quality compression joints with the
olive wrapped in PTFE on the plastic pipe. A far better and cheaper joint
than pushfit. Also easily demountable.

And buy the right tool for the job when it comes to cutting it

eh ... dIMM ?

--
geoff

Lobster wrote:
Pet wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a treat.

Not how they are designed to work though: I hope they hold in the long term!

Yes, strange. After fitting 2 loos, basins, bath and kitchen I ended up
fitting about 20 compression onto new and (and sometimes used) olives,
with no leaks ever. Maybe he stopped tightening when he heard it
creaking. I tighten to the creak, then another 1/8 turn. Stop.

Cheers

Paul.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"news" wrote in message
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them
and coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or
similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin
& pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a
treat.

pushfit, pushfit, pushfit :-)

Push into the bin.

If you need to use plastic pipe use good quality compression joints with

the
olive wrapped in PTFE on the plastic pipe. A far better and cheaper

joint
than pushfit. Also easily demountable.

And buy the right tool for the job when it comes to cutting it

Maxie, that is too right. But Maxie, using a brass compression fitting is
foolproof

eh ... dIMM ?

Maxie, I hope Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress is taking note.

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

&
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a

treat.

Not how they are designed to work though: I hope they hold in the long

term!

Yes, strange. After fitting 2 loos, basins, bath and kitchen I ended up
fitting about 20 compression onto new and (and sometimes used) olives,
with no leaks ever. Maybe he stopped tightening when he heard it
creaking. I tighten to the creak, then another 1/8 turn. Stop.

Most makers say turn hand tight then one full turn.

Andy

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote in message
o.uk...
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a treat.

I found that copper olives seem to seal better than brass.
I suspect it's because copper is softer than brass.

Andy.

Lurch

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:18:52 +0100, "Andy"
scrawled:

I found that copper olives seem to seal better than brass.
I suspect it's because copper is softer than brass.

I've never had a problem with copper or brass olives on decent or
cheap crap compression fittings. 99% of mine have had the
aforementioned Boss White treatment.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

news

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"news" wrote in message
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them
and coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or
similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed
basin & pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a
treat.

pushfit, pushfit, pushfit :-)

Push into the bin.

If you need to use plastic pipe

who said anything about plastic ?

Richard Conway

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Lobster wrote:

Pet wrote:

My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them

and

coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin

&

pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a

treat.

Not how they are designed to work though: I hope they hold in the long

term!

Yes, strange. After fitting 2 loos, basins, bath and kitchen I ended up
fitting about 20 compression onto new and (and sometimes used) olives,
with no leaks ever. Maybe he stopped tightening when he heard it
creaking. I tighten to the creak, then another 1/8 turn. Stop.

Most makers say turn hand tight then one full turn.

Well you only have their word to go by, having never tightened one yourself.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

I'd say either the pipe or fittings were damaged in some way - assuming
you could get enough purchase to tighten them fully.

But I always put a few turns of PTFE round the olive before tightening
after cleaning the pipes to soldering standards.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Schmitt

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:24:43 +0100, Doctor Drivel
wrote:

pushfit, pushfit, pushfit :-)

If you need to use plastic pipe use good quality compression joints with
the
olive wrapped in PTFE on the plastic pipe. A far better and cheaper
joint
than pushfit. Also easily demountable.

All the pushfits I have worked with simply needed the collar to be
depressed to release. No need for a spanner. How easy is that? No need for
even a spanner.

Also PTFE tape is for use on taper threads, not on compression joints. It
is capable of making even Swagelok fittings leaky.

John Schmitt

Richard Conway wrote:
zymurgy wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Pet wrote:

My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Not how they are designed to work though: I hope they hold in the long term!

Maybe he stopped tightening when he heard it creaking.
I tighten to the creak, then another 1/8 turn. Stop.

I generally find that there's no need to tighten that much - after all
its easy enough to nip them up a bit if the weep, but there's not much
you can do if you over-tighten them and damage the olive.

Well, I apprenticed as a mechanic, so must of the tightening I do is by
feel. If it feels tight it is tight. It's hard to describe to someone
or put into words.

Cheers

Paul.

Doctor Drivel

"John Schmitt" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:24:43 +0100, Doctor Drivel
wrote:

pushfit, pushfit, pushfit :-)

If you need to use plastic pipe use good
quality compression joints with
the olive wrapped in PTFE on the plastic
pipe. A far better and cheaper joint
than pushfit. Also easily demountable.

All the pushfits I have worked with
simply needed the collar to be
depressed to release.

Only Speedfit, or the cloned Speedfit does that.

No need for a spanner. How easy is that? No need for
even a spanner.

Most pushfit is difficult to demount. A compression joint on plastic pipe
is much superior to only relying on a very thin O ring - and cheaper. Even
with expensive plastic pipe cutters the odd nick can be left on the pipe end
and the O ring can be nipped. Then the grab rings can fail and the fitting
shoots out leaving a full open end. Some of the grab rings and corrode with
time if on the wet side of the O ring, again failing and catastrophic
failures. A compression joint is much more forgiving. No contest use
compression on plastic instead of pushfit fitting, which can take some force
to push on, especially in awkward locations.

Many in the trade have moved over to good quality compression joints when
using plastic pipes, completely disregarding and type of pushfit fitting..

Also PTFE tape is for use on taper threads, not on compression joints.

The plastic makers recommend the olive is wrapped with PTFE. I do not
recommend that an olive is wrapped with PTFE on a copper pipe, just a
"smear" of jointing paste.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

I'd say either the pipe or fittings were damaged in some way - assuming
you could get enough purchase to tighten them fully.

But I always put a few turns of PTFE round the olive before tightening

Appalling senile missadvice. DO NOT use PTFE on the olive when using copper
pipe. Use a "smear" of jointing paste. "Always" use good quality
compression joints, like Conex and Kuterlite. Don't complain if you bought
el cheapo fittings and had problems. Wickes sell Conex fittings and at
decent prices too.

Doctor Drivel

"Richard Conway" idiotically wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Lobster wrote:

Pet wrote:

[...]

snip idiotic drivel

Doctor Drivel

"news" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"news" wrote in message
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them
and coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or
similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed
basin & pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

Silicone (as above) and a cup of tea while it cured did the job a
treat.

pushfit, pushfit, pushfit :-)

Push into the bin.

If you need to use plastic pipe

who said anything about plastic ?

I did. Now you know, so be grateful.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I'd say either the pipe or fittings were damaged in some way -
assuming you could get enough purchase to tighten them fully.

But I always put a few turns of PTFE round the olive before tightening

Appalling senile missadvice. DO NOT use PTFE on the olive when using
copper pipe.

Think most know by now that your joints have a habit of leaking...

Use a "smear" of jointing paste.

Please explain in detail the actual difference in this application between
'jointing paste' - which could be anything - and PTFE tape?

Neither are strictly necessary anyway.

"Always" use good quality compression joints, like Conex and Kuterlite.
Don't complain if you bought el cheapo fittings and had problems. Wickes
sell Conex fittings and at decent prices too.

I always use end feed solder fittings. But then you need some skill to use
them. They're far cheaper and neater looking too. And never leak.

The PTFE trick was taught to me by a plumber who could do the most
beautiful pipe work you've ever seen. A true craftsman. Something you know
nothing about.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I'd say either the pipe or fittings were damaged in some way -
assuming you could get enough purchase to tighten them fully.

But I always put a few turns of PTFE round the olive before tightening

Appalling senile missadvice. DO NOT use PTFE on the olive when using
copper pipe.

Think

Don't think, it does you no good

snip senile drivel

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
Well, I apprenticed as a mechanic, so must of the tightening I do is by
feel. If it feels tight it is tight.

Me too. As an Agricultural mechanic, so working on compression fittings
on hydraulics etc for numerous years. It's not a new science for me,
just seems that the last batch of isolation valves I picked up seem to
have given no end of problems WRT leaking.

Have you examined them for signs of damage? If the pipe is fine, and the
olive and mating tapers all ok they really should be fine with no gunge.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Richard Conway

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Use a "smear" of jointing paste.

Please explain in detail the actual difference in this application between
'jointing paste' - which could be anything - and PTFE tape?

Neither are strictly necessary anyway.

I suspect that the brochure for whatever 'jointing paste' he's on about
metioned using it on olives.

Lobster

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Appalling senile missadvice. DO NOT use PTFE on the olive when using copper
pipe. Use a "smear" of jointing paste.

Why is PTFE wrong, but jointing paste is OK?

David
Doctor Drivel

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senile flatulence wrote:

Use a "smear" of jointing paste.

Please explain in detail the actual difference in this application

between
'jointing paste' - which could be anything - and PTFE tape?

Neither are strictly necessary anyway.

I suspect that the brochure

He is giving up his guard. This is either Maxie (lover boy), Plowman (the
senile one), Lord Hall or Tomlinson (the nutter from JM uni). Fancy trying
to be Russ Conway. Pathetic. Lunacy reigns supreme here.

Richard Conway

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Richard Conway" wrote in message

Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senile flatulence wrote:

Use a "smear" of jointing paste.

Please explain in detail the actual difference in this application

between

'jointing paste' - which could be anything - and PTFE tape?

Neither are strictly necessary anyway.

I suspect that the brochure

He is giving up his guard. This is either Maxie (lover boy), Plowman (the
senile one), Lord Hall or Tomlinson (the nutter from JM uni). Fancy trying
to be Russ Conway. Pathetic. Lunacy reigns supreme here.

Just because one fool here posts under various guises doesn't mean that
we all do, no matter what the voices in your head keep telling you.
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Richard Conway" idiotically wrote in message

Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senile flatulence wrote:

Use a "smear" of jointing paste.

Please explain in detail the actual difference in this application

between

'jointing paste' - which could be anything - and PTFE tape?

Neither are strictly necessary anyway.

I suspect that the brochure

He is giving up his guard. This is either Maxie (lover boy), Plowman

(the
senile one), Lord Hall or Tomlinson (the nutter from JM uni). Fancy

trying
to be Russ Conway. Pathetic. Lunacy reigns supreme here.

Just because one fool here posts under various guises

.....and you are him!!!!! What made you think of a piano players name?
Conway? Awful name. Think of a better one, like the Duke of Windsor or
whatever.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Appalling senile missadvice. DO NOT use PTFE on the olive when using
copper pipe. Use a "smear" of jointing paste.

Why is PTFE wrong, but jointing paste is OK?

No point in asking Drivel anything that requires original thought. If he
can't find the answer on a website or catalogue he's stumped.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Richard Conway

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

The Duke of Windsor is not a name, its a title. I do play the piano as
it happens (albeit badly) - but I was named long before I learnt to play.
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

You can easily change your name you know. How about Lord Hall. That's a
good one.

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

It really does appear that way.

Doctor Drivel

"Lobster" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Appalling senile missadvice. DO NOT use PTFE on the olive when using

copper
pipe. Use a "smear" of jointing paste.

Why is PTFE wrong, but jointing paste is OK?

David

Paste works its way into any imperfections where the fitting meets the
olive.

Compression fittings rile Home Repair 5 May 13th 05 03:36 AM
Question about compression fittings toller Home Repair 2 May 8th 05 03:57 AM
Compression vs. push-fit fittings? al UK diy 23 April 15th 05 10:12 PM
Compression Fittings on Type L Rigid Copper ??? Michael Roback Home Ownership 4 November 23rd 03 06:15 PM
Q re Brass Compression Fittings jack Home Repair 2 June 25th 03 02:44 AM