Doctor Drivel

Default compression fittings..... pah!

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Spent many hours Saturday faffing around behind the newly fixed basin &
pedestal with a tissue trying to find several weepers.

I'd say either the pipe or fittings were damaged in some way - assuming
you could get enough purchase to tighten them fully.

But I always put a few turns of PTFE round the olive before tightening

Appalling senile missadvice. DO NOT use PTFE on the olive when using copper
pipe. Use a "smear" of jointing paste. "Always" use good quality
compression joints, like Conex and Kuterlite. Don't complain if you bought
el cheapo fittings and had problems. Wickes sell Conex fittings and at
decent prices too.