rile

Default Compression fittings

I am planning to install a freeze-free hose bib. I'd rather not sweat
the pipe and instead plan to use compression fittings. However, in the
past, it always seemed that no matter how tight I thought I had the
fitting, it always seems to drip and I would tighten until I was afraid
of snapping something. Is there some secret that I'm not aware of in
using them?

Tony Hwang

rile wrote:
I am planning to install a freeze-free hose bib. I'd rather not sweat
the pipe and instead plan to use compression fittings. However, in the
past, it always seemed that no matter how tight I thought I had the
fitting, it always seems to drip and I would tighten until I was afraid
of snapping something. Is there some secret that I'm not aware of in
using them?

Hi,
Over tightening is no good.
Tony
toller

If you don't want to sweat, there is an epoxy that worked fine the two times
I used it 2 years ago. I got mine at Lowes.

A big down side is that when I wanted to use it last week it had gone bad.
(I did notice that one of the caps wasn't on real good, but poor design made
that difficult.) So, $7/joint is pretty expensive if you just have the one.
Much easier to justify if you can use it a few times before it expires.

There is also a cyanoacrylic on the market, but I haven't gotten around to
trying it yet.

Jeff Wisnia

toller wrote:
If you don't want to sweat, there is an epoxy that worked fine the two times
I used it 2 years ago. I got mine at Lowes.

A big down side is that when I wanted to use it last week it had gone bad.
(I did notice that one of the caps wasn't on real good, but poor design made
that difficult.) So, $7/joint is pretty expensive if you just have the one.
Much easier to justify if you can use it a few times before it expires.

If you keep it in the freezer compartment of the kitchen fridhge it'll
stay good "forever". I've got some electrically conductive epoxy that
I've had in there over 15 years now, and the darn stuff works like new
whenever I need a dab to fix something "unsolderable" like an aluminum
magnet wire joint.

There is also a cyanoacrylic on the market, but I haven't gotten around to
trying it yet.

If the compression fittings have conventional ferrules, I've had great
luck wrapping a turn of teflon tape twisted into a "string" around the
side of the ferrule opposite the nut so that it gets squished between
the ferrule, the tubing and the body of the fiting.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Stormin Mormon

Soak the fitting, ferrule, etc. generously with oil before tightening.
Changes the coefficient of friction.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"rile" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am planning to install a freeze-free hose bib. I'd rather not sweat
the pipe and instead plan to use compression fittings. However, in the
past, it always seemed that no matter how tight I thought I had the
fitting, it always seems to drip and I would tighten until I was afraid
of snapping something. Is there some secret that I'm not aware of in
using them?

Beeper

I am by no means a plumber of any sort. But i have found, through advice, is
to snug the compression fitting expecting a leak when you turn the water on
and continue to tighten slowly until the leak stops. As above,
overtightening is bad for the seal.
ups.com...