Default compression fittings..... pah!

Richard Conway wrote:
zymurgy wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Pet wrote:

My tip for these PITA inventions is compress them up then undo them and
coat the olive in a healthy dose of Fernox-LSX silicone or similar.

Not how they are designed to work though: I hope they hold in the long term!

Maybe he stopped tightening when he heard it creaking.
I tighten to the creak, then another 1/8 turn. Stop.

I generally find that there's no need to tighten that much - after all
its easy enough to nip them up a bit if the weep, but there's not much
you can do if you over-tighten them and damage the olive.

Well, I apprenticed as a mechanic, so must of the tightening I do is by
feel. If it feels tight it is tight. It's hard to describe to someone
or put into words.

Cheers

Paul.