Bill

Default Tumble Dryer venting

About to buy an AEG vented tumble dryer and am considering the options
for vertical positioning of the vent outlet through the nearby outside
wall. Am using the Screwfix tumble dryer vent kit.

Two options, low down (30cm) or high up (2.5m) on the wall. The
outside of the wall is onto the street, so I'm slightly concerned
about the possiblilty of small animals (squirrels etc.) getting in
(despite the vent louvres) or kids messing with it if it is low down.
On the other hand, if it is high up then it looks more conspicuous
(not really a problem), but more seriously is there a potential
problem with condensation running back down the pipe? I'd have thought
that so long as the dryer runs it's cool phase at the end to hopefully
evaporate any condensation and also making sure that the wall vent is
installed with a slight downward slope to the outside then there would
be no problem.

If I went for the 'high' option then the total run length would be
around 3.5m (as the vent outlet on the dryer is right at the bottom).
I'm aware that this is slightly beyond the recommended maximum run
length of most manufacturers (2.4m), but believe that this maximum is
specified due to the friction against the air of the corrugated
venting hose causing the dryer efficiency to drop off. I could run
instead with smooth plastic pipe which should alleviate this if
necessary.

Any thoughts, specifically about the condensation issue?

Cheers.
Grunff

Bill wrote:
About to buy an AEG vented tumble dryer and am considering the options
for vertical positioning of the vent outlet through the nearby outside
wall. Am using the Screwfix tumble dryer vent kit.

Have you considered a condensing one? I *love* our Miele condensing
drier - it's magic.

Two options, low down (30cm) or high up (2.5m) on the wall. The
outside of the wall is onto the street, so I'm slightly concerned
about the possiblilty of small animals (squirrels etc.) getting in
(despite the vent louvres) or kids messing with it if it is low down.
On the other hand, if it is high up then it looks more conspicuous
(not really a problem), but more seriously is there a potential
problem with condensation running back down the pipe? I'd have thought
that so long as the dryer runs it's cool phase at the end to hopefully
evaporate any condensation and also making sure that the wall vent is
installed with a slight downward slope to the outside then there would
be no problem.

I don't have direct experience, but several people have posted about
condensation in long vertical runs. Apparently as the warm, wet air hits
cold air at the top, you get so much condensation that some of it can
run back down.

If I went for the 'high' option then the total run length would be
around 3.5m (as the vent outlet on the dryer is right at the bottom).
I'm aware that this is slightly beyond the recommended maximum run
length of most manufacturers (2.4m), but believe that this maximum is
specified due to the friction against the air of the corrugated
venting hose causing the dryer efficiency to drop off. I could run
instead with smooth plastic pipe which should alleviate this if
necessary.

Any thoughts, specifically about the condensation issue?

Have you considered a condensing drier ;-)

--
Grunff
Ron

"Grunff" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
[...]

Hi I have a tumble drier that was vented up through a window and it failed
after 18 months. It was the over heat protector fuse. The repairman said
that it was caused by having the vent too high and as the window faced west
and it was very windy when it failed that was most likely the cause of
failure. I now have it venting straight through the wall and the clothes
actually dry 10 minutes quicker, or so my wife says.
Ron

Have you considered a condensing drier ;-)
Buy a condensor box, or make one. The outlet vent goes into a "cold"
box, so that
it condenses. Could be little more than a square box. Would work better
if surrounded
by cold water, like a tin within a tin.
Simon.

Bill

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:20:21 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Have you considered a condensing one? I *love* our Miele condensing
drier - it's magic.

Yes, I've been toying between the two. Initially I'd plumped for a
condenser, but have since been reconsidering vented for the following
reasons.

Condensers are...

More expensive to buy (about 350 quid as opposed to 270 for the vented
model I'm considering)
Not (quite) as quick at drying.
More expensive (a bit) to run
Need to empty the water frequently (though I could get the drain kit
for the model I considered)
Need to clean out the condenser module sometimes.
Noisier in operation

But the advantage is they are 'fit and forget' (optional drain kit
notwithstanding)

Whatever I buy will be going in the garage, so any increase in ambient
temeprature and /or humidity is not a problem.

My only direct experience of tumble dryers in the past has been 2
washer/dryers (useless at drying, I know!) and my mum's 25 year old
creaky 'Servis' model. I imagine that efficiency has moved on since
then.

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone about how much slower or
noisier (if at all) condensers are. I'm still willing to change my
mind. The screwfix vent kit was only a tenner wasted if I don't use
it!

Cheers.

Army

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:09:49 +0100, Bill wrote:

[...]

I'd agree with Grunff. We have a condenser dryer and have been very
very happy with it.

Mike
Grunff

Bill wrote:

My only direct experience of tumble dryers in the past has been 2
washer/dryers (useless at drying, I know!) and my mum's 25 year old
creaky 'Servis' model. I imagine that efficiency has moved on since
then.

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone about how much slower or
noisier (if at all) condensers are. I'm still willing to change my
mind. The screwfix vent kit was only a tenner wasted if I don't use
it!

Our condernser is not at all noisy (certainly no noisier than vented
models I've seen at friends' houses). It does a full load in 45-60 mins.

As for the slightly higher running costs, we have it installed in the
unheated utility room, so for 9 months of the year the heat it dumps
into the room is very welcome.

I have it draining to the nearby sink trap, so no emptying. I would buy
another without hesitation.

--
Grunff
soup

Bill wrote:
Two options, low down (30cm) or high up (2.5m) on the wall. The
outside of the wall is onto the street

I would not appreciate a faceful (shinfull depending on height) of
tumble dryer fumes so if your vent MUST be to a public street does it
not have to be a certain height? If the dryer can be vented onto
private ground, animal/insect interest is not a problem with the proper
one way flaps (only time these flaps are open hot/moist air is actually
coming out ). Condensation doesn't seem to be a problem with our set-up
however the prevailing wind is not into the vent and ours (vents into
the back garden) is only 10~20cm above the outlet on the machine.

Thinking out loud :- Will a small s bend in the hose not allow any
condensate to gather and not travel back to the machine. This
condensate will only gather over the last few "puffs" of the tumble
drier and these "puffs" should be of virtually ambient moistness anyway
so will condensate in the evacuation tube be a problem.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Chris Hodges

Bill wrote:
So why are condensers more expensive to run - surely they recycle some
of the heat into the incoming air via the condenser, which must be
cooled by something?

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Lurch

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:09:49 +0100, Bill scrawled:

Two options, low down (30cm) or high up (2.5m) on the wall. The
outside of the wall is onto the street,

AFAIK, you can't vent onto the street so that's the end of that plan.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Paul Andrews

"Army" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:09:49 +0100, Bill wrote:

About to buy an AEG vented tumble dryer and am considering the options

snip

I'd agree with Grunff. We have a condenser dryer and have been very
very happy with it.

Snap - I don't think I'd ever buy a venting dryer again. Not worth the
hassle if you don't already have a vent in place. We don't have a drain kit
for ours, but I don't find emptying the water a big deal.

Paul

Mike

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Lurch wrote:

AFAIK, you can't vent onto the street so that's the end of that plan.

Surely you can, as it would seem you can vent boiler flues onto the
street (well, round here they do)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Lurch

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:14:05 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
scrawled:

Lurch wrote:

AFAIK, you can't vent onto the street so that's the end of that plan.

Surely you can, as it would seem you can vent boiler flues onto the
street (well, round here they do)

Ah, well, there's what peeople _do_, and what they _should do_. I've
had it before on a few occasions when venting extractors onto the
street. As I say, AFAIK, I haven't checked but I've always taken it as
that is correct. I could be wrong though....
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Bill

Lurch wrote:

AFAIK, you can't vent onto the street so that's the end of that plan.

Surely you can, as it would seem you can vent boiler flues onto the
street (well, round here they do)

Ah, well, there's what peeople _do_, and what they _should do_. I've
had it before on a few occasions when venting extractors onto the
street. As I say, AFAIK, I haven't checked but I've always taken it as
that is correct. I could be wrong though....

Spoke to my local council building control department and they said
'Wherever you like mate, Its only hot air!'

Academic now anyway, since I've reverted to the original condenser
plan and also installed the appropriate drain-out plumbing. Thanks for
all the comments anyway!

Mark Carver

wrote:

Ah, well, there's what peeople _do_, and what they _should do_. I've
had it before on a few occasions when venting extractors onto the
street. As I say, AFAIK, I haven't checked but I've always taken it as
that is correct. I could be wrong though....

Spoke to my local council building control department and they said
'Wherever you like mate, Its only hot air!'

Well yes exactly ! What about all those 20 million+ cars emitting poisonous
fumes 'onto the street' ?

--
Mark
soup

Bill wrote:
Spoke to my local council building control department and they said
'Wherever you like mate, Its only hot air!'

But it isn't is it? What about the moisture and all the chemicals (from
soaps, fabric conditioner,dryer sheets etc),that off gas when heated.
Am able to smell all the cra^w^w stuff that is vented from my drier
(when the drier is running) from the other side of the garden wouldn't
like to walk along a street and suddenly get a faceful of tumble dryer
ventings. I do not like car exhausts either but I am led to believe that
the MODERN engines output is strictly controlled viz-a-viz emissions so
much so that the exhaust actually has less noxious chemicals than the
air the engine inputs
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

soup

soup wrote:
(from soaps, fabric conditioner,dryer sheets etc),

Thinking about it all traces of soap should/would be removed in the
rinse cycle.

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Lurch

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:23:10 +0100, Mark Carver
scrawled:

wrote:

Ah, well, there's what peeople _do_, and what they _should do_. I've
had it before on a few occasions when venting extractors onto the
street. As I say, AFAIK, I haven't checked but I've always taken it as
that is correct. I could be wrong though....

Spoke to my local council building control department and they said
'Wherever you like mate, Its only hot air!'

Well yes exactly ! What about all those 20 million+ cars emitting poisonous
fumes 'onto the street' ?

Applying logic to council rulings is not a wise move.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
David Hansen

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:41:42 GMT someone who may be "soup"
wrote this:-

I do not like car exhausts either but I am led to believe that
the MODERN engines output is strictly controlled viz-a-viz emissions so
much so that the exhaust actually has less noxious chemicals than the
air the engine inputs

Feel free to connect a hose pipe from the exhaust pipe of a MODERN
car to the passenger compartment and run the engine. If there are
less noxious chemicals in the exhaust pipe than in the ordinary air
then you will be able to tell us how much better you feel for the
experience.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Helen Deborah Vecht

"soup" typed

soup wrote:
(from soaps, fabric conditioner,dryer sheets etc),

Thinking about it all traces of soap should/would be removed in the
rinse cycle.

They aren't, especially on a 'delicates' wash, which does not spin
before rinsing.
Then there are all those lovely 'perfumes' which certainly cling to the
fabrics...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
soup

David Hansen wrote:
If there are
less noxious chemicals in the exhaust pipe than in the ordinary air
then you will be able to tell us how much better you feel for the
experience.

Did say I was led to beleive not that it is so.

Pedant
Carbon monoxide will drown you but it is NOT poisonous, so is not
noxious (FSVON).

very simplified cod explanation
CO will combine with the haemaglobin in the blood in preference to CO2
and not "let go" leaving the haemaglobin unable to carry Oxygen to the
tissues no oxygen to tissues = death by drowning
/very simplified cod explanation
/pedant

very simplified cod explanation
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "soup"
saying something like:

What a load of hairsplitting ********.
--

Dave
soup

Hairsplitting quite possibly, but it is not ********, oversimplified
possibly but not ********.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

raden

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "soup"
saying something like:

Pedant
Carbon monoxide will drown you but it is NOT poisonous, so is not
noxious (FSVON).

What a load of hairsplitting ********.

What I thought

--
geoff

Helen Deborah Vecht

"soup" typed

David Hansen wrote:
If there are
less noxious chemicals in the exhaust pipe than in the ordinary air
then you will be able to tell us how much better you feel for the
experience.

Did say I was led to beleive not that it is so.

Pedant
Carbon monoxide will drown you but it is NOT poisonous, so is not
noxious (FSVON).

very simplified cod explanation
CO will combine with the haemaglobin in the blood in preference to CO2
and not "let go" leaving the haemaglobin unable to carry Oxygen to the
tissues no oxygen to tissues = death by drowning
/very simplified cod explanation
/pedant

very simplified cod explanation

iS THE WRONG ANSWER. CO is a cellular poison as well and *is* therefore
noxious.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Helen Deborah Vecht

"soup" typed

It is ******** for the reason I've just given...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Rob Morley

In article , 1
@slartibartfast.com says...
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
What a load of hairsplitting ********.

Hairsplitting quite possibly, but it is not ********, oversimplified
possibly but not ********.

No, it's utter ********. If you were talking about a non-toxic gas it
would be true, but carbon monoxide *is* a poison - it disrupts the
body's chemistry at a cellular level.
Bob Mannix

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , 1
@slartibartfast.com says...
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
What a load of hairsplitting ********.

Hairsplitting quite possibly, but it is not ********, oversimplified
possibly but not ********.

No, it's utter ********. If you were talking about a non-toxic gas it
would be true, but carbon monoxide *is* a poison - it disrupts the
body's chemistry at a cellular level.

What he said. You "drown"/suffocate in a Carbon Dioxide atmosphere. There is
a distinct difference between this and Carbon Monoxide deaths where (as the
man says) the body chemistry is affected and this THEN causes death. It is a
reversible poisoning but that doesn't mean it's not a poisoning.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

soup

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
iS THE WRONG ANSWER. CO is a cellular poison as well and *is*
therefore noxious.

I must bow to superiour knowledge, I have always been told CO is not
poisonous (obviously I have been misled) hence saying you could drown
but you couldn't be poisoned (perhaps what was meant that relative to
the amount of people who get poisoned you (TINY) are much more likely to
be drowned by it, and I have only heard/remebered the it is not a poison
bit?).
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Rob Morley

In article , 1
@slartibartfast.com says...
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
iS THE WRONG ANSWER. CO is a cellular poison as well and *is*
therefore noxious.

I must bow to superiour knowledge, I have always been told CO is not
poisonous (obviously I have been misled) hence saying you could drown
but you couldn't be poisoned (perhaps what was meant that relative to
the amount of people who get poisoned you (TINY) are much more likely to
be drowned by it, and I have only heard/remebered the it is not a poison
bit?).

I suspect you're either getting confused between carbon monoxide
(lighter than air, toxic) and carbon dioxide (heavier than air, non-
toxic), or half-remembering the difference between town gas (contains
carbon monoxide - can poison you but is lighter than air so will
disperse more readily) and natural gas (basically non-toxic but heavier
than air and can drown you).
soup

Rob Morley wrote:
I suspect you're either getting confused between carbon monoxide
(lighter than air, toxic) and carbon dioxide (heavier than air, non-
toxic), or half-remembering the difference between town gas (contains
carbon monoxide - can poison you but is lighter than air so will
disperse more readily) and natural gas (basically non-toxic but
heavier than air and can drown you).

Nah, I meant Carbon monoxide will drown (or is suffocate a better word)
you, but apparently it poisons as well, what I did get wrong was stating
as fact half remembered information..

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Helen Deborah Vecht

Rob Morley typed

I suspect you're either getting confused between carbon monoxide
(lighter than air, toxic) and carbon dioxide (heavier than air, non-
toxic), or half-remembering the difference between town gas (contains
carbon monoxide - can poison you but is lighter than air so will
disperse more readily) and natural gas (basically non-toxic but heavier
than air and can drown you).

I doubt it. Many schoolkids know and disseminate the line that CO bonds
strongly to haemoglobin. This is seen as reversible. (Glod save us from
amateur scientists!) Knowledge of its action at cellular level needs a
deeper knowledge of biochemistry etc. I think I was only thus
enlightened relatively recently.

I was amused that your post was essentially so similar to mine; we must
be singing from the same crib sheet ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.