DavyW

Default Cost of using a tumble dryer

Dear All,

anybody got any information on the cost of using a tumble dryer? I'm
looking for approximate costs, i.e. cost to dry 5KG of washed towels.

Then, are there any comparisons the show the cost of drying with a
condenser dryer compared to a vented dryer. I guess that the condenser
should be more efficient as it isn't pumping wet heat out of the
dryer, but some example figures would be good

Thanks for any help

Davy
Neil Jones

"DavyW" wrote in message
om...
Dear All,

anybody got any information on the cost of using a tumble dryer? I'm
looking for approximate costs, i.e. cost to dry 5KG of washed towels.

Then, are there any comparisons the show the cost of drying with a
condenser dryer compared to a vented dryer. I guess that the condenser
should be more efficient as it isn't pumping wet heat out of the
dryer, but some example figures would be good

Thanks for any help

Davy

When I was looking for a tumble dryer I noticed that on the enery
efficiency chart thingy each machine has one it (you know, the thing
with the coloured A-G bands) there is a box which lists the energy
consumption of a load. A lot of dryers said 4.2kWh (I think) - the one I
bought said 3.4kWh (these figures are from memory). This is for a
stardard weight load with a standard amount of moisture left to remove.

When I received our dryer the manual also listed 'real world' figures
for drying time and energy consumption for different sized loads having
been spun at different speeds in the washing machine. Many of these had
energy consumption in the 2-2.5 kWh range.

HTH

Neil

sid

" anybody got any information on the cost of using a tumble dryer? I'm
looking for approximate costs, i.e. cost to dry 5KG of washed towels.

Too many variables in that question really. What spin speed will determine
residual water content remaining in the towels. We did measure consumption
over 5 wash/dry cycles. (Separate washer and tumble dryer)

Averaged about 3 units for combined operation. Not have a clue prior to this
costing about the wash cycle consumption.

Drying consumption is fairly easy.
If you have the timer set to 70 minutes and it has a 10 min cool cycle then
it would normally be 2.2 kWh for the 60 minutes and 200 watts for the 10 min
cool time.. Price would be ( 2.4 x .07p) approx. 17 pence. (Check the plate
for the rating of your machine.)

Bit cheaper than the launderette

Michael Chare

"DavyW" wrote in message
om...
Dear All,

anybody got any information on the cost of using a tumble dryer? I'm
looking for approximate costs, i.e. cost to dry 5KG of washed towels.

Less at night if you have economy 7!

--

Michael Chare

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

DavyW wrote:
Dear All,

anybody got any information on the cost of using a tumble dryer? I'm
looking for approximate costs, i.e. cost to dry 5KG of washed towels.

Then, are there any comparisons the show the cost of drying with a
condenser dryer compared to a vented dryer. I guess that the condenser
should be more efficient as it isn't pumping wet heat out of the
dryer, but some example figures would be good

Thanks for any help

http://www.ukpower.co.uk/running-costs-elec.asp

Any good?

Si

Ian Stirling

DavyW wrote:
Dear All,

anybody got any information on the cost of using a tumble dryer? I'm
looking for approximate costs, i.e. cost to dry 5KG of washed towels.

Then, are there any comparisons the show the cost of drying with a
condenser dryer compared to a vented dryer. I guess that the condenser
should be more efficient as it isn't pumping wet heat out of the
dryer, but some example figures would be good

In all cases, it's usually worth bunging the load in for another spin,
especailly for towels and stuff.
The problem with most machines is that the load ramps up to a speed, and
sticks there.
At that speed, all the clothes are plastered to the outside of the drum,
and don't move at all.
If you put them in again, it may take several hundred grams of water out.

Take a scale, a few towels, weigh dry, after one spin, and after two or
three.
(three is generally not worth it)

Very roughly, it costs a minimum of about half a Kwh just to boil/evaporate
1Kg of water.
And it's never going to be that cheap unless you use a model with a heat
pump, and I don't think there are any.

Personally.
I think a closely sealed cupboard with a bit of insulation, and a
dehumidifier and a fan would be ideal.
(currently use a dehumidifier and a fan in a second bathroom, which isn't
optimal)
Gets clothes dry for a fraction of the money, and bashes them around less.
Malc

"chris French" wrote in message
I once lived in a housing co-op, we had a shared laundry, it had a
stand alone spin dryer that worked much more effectively than the
machines. They can't be that expensive, I have considered getting one
when we get a bigger house with a decent utility room area (it really
needs to go on the floor and have a floor drain to drain into.)

Second that. We have a spin dryer purchased second hand for about £10. It
gets loads more water out than the washing machine spin. Curiously although
a more modern design it has exactly the same nozzle as my mother's one that
was 35 years old when she scrapped it.

--
Malc

Lobster

"sid" wrote in message ...

Drying consumption is fairly easy.
If you have the timer set to 70 minutes and it has a 10 min cool cycle

then
it would normally be 2.2 kWh for the 60 minutes and 200 watts for the 10

min
cool time.. Price would be ( 2.4 x .07p) approx. 17 pence. (Check the

plate
for the rating of your machine.)

Less than that surely - it will have a thermostat, so the power will be
kicking in and out for the 70 minutes?
David