Ron

"Grunff" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
About to buy an AEG vented tumble dryer and am considering the options
for vertical positioning of the vent outlet through the nearby outside
wall. Am using the Screwfix tumble dryer vent kit.

Have you considered a condensing one? I *love* our Miele condensing
drier - it's magic.

Two options, low down (30cm) or high up (2.5m) on the wall. The
outside of the wall is onto the street, so I'm slightly concerned
about the possiblilty of small animals (squirrels etc.) getting in
(despite the vent louvres) or kids messing with it if it is low down.
On the other hand, if it is high up then it looks more conspicuous
(not really a problem), but more seriously is there a potential
problem with condensation running back down the pipe? I'd have thought
that so long as the dryer runs it's cool phase at the end to hopefully
evaporate any condensation and also making sure that the wall vent is
installed with a slight downward slope to the outside then there would
be no problem.

I don't have direct experience, but several people have posted about
condensation in long vertical runs. Apparently as the warm, wet air hits
cold air at the top, you get so much condensation that some of it can run
back down.

If I went for the 'high' option then the total run length would be
around 3.5m (as the vent outlet on the dryer is right at the bottom).
I'm aware that this is slightly beyond the recommended maximum run
length of most manufacturers (2.4m), but believe that this maximum is
specified due to the friction against the air of the corrugated
venting hose causing the dryer efficiency to drop off. I could run
instead with smooth plastic pipe which should alleviate this if
necessary.

Any thoughts, specifically about the condensation issue?

Have you considered a condensing drier ;-)

--
Grunff

Hi I have a tumble drier that was vented up through a window and it failed
after 18 months. It was the over heat protector fuse. The repairman said
that it was caused by having the vent too high and as the window faced west
and it was very windy when it failed that was most likely the cause of
failure. I now have it venting straight through the wall and the clothes
actually dry 10 minutes quicker, or so my wife says.
Ron