Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Or find a nail, bolt or bit of wire that will fit, the final
protection needs to be taken away from the idiots who can and have
done such things.

You should work in government! That sounds like just the sort of
attitude the ODPM would love ;-)

You are pathetic. The point is how to make a circuit idiot proof. We

are
not interested in your Little Middle England pro Tory and anti Blair

crap.

You mean this chappie ?

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Tony_Blair

Maxie, do you think sites like that are funny? They have never appealed to
me.

Maxie, didn't Tone do well at getting the IRA to official drop the arms. No
one else managed that. Great fella.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:21:16 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Or find a nail, bolt or bit of wire that will fit, the final
protection needs to be taken away from the idiots who can and have
done such things.

You should work in government! That sounds like just the sort of
attitude the ODPM would love ;-)

You are pathetic. The point is how to make a circuit idiot proof. We are
not interested in your Little Middle England pro Tory and anti Blair crap.

I thought Blair was a Tory.... Seems to have most of the
characteristics.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:46:35 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

You mean this chappie ?

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Tony_Blair

Maxie, do you think sites like that are funny? They have never appealed to
me.

Maxie, didn't Tone do well at getting the IRA to official drop the arms. No
one else managed that. Great fella.

Saying and doing are two very different things. Tone is certainly
good at saying....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Alan wrote:
Nor could you obtain fittings to connect their
stuff to your cooker.

What's wrong with garden hose and duct tape?

Fine if you can get it in yellow.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
I can only remember having to replace one or two fuses, and those were
13 amp types. Most appliances which are fused at less than 13 amp will
be things like AV equipment and have internal fuses which will blow
first anyway.

Not with you on that one. The function of plug fuses was to protect the
lead. An excess of fault current through a damaged and shorted thin
cable normally used to carrying half an amp will cause heating and a
fire risk. Internal fuses may be ineffective here.

As has been pointed out, all flexes have to be capable of carrying
somewhat more than 13 amps as a fault condition. But then if your flex is
damaged, you shouldn't be using the appliance anyway until properly
repaired.

But a fused plug is additional protection over and above what most of the
rest of the world have.

--
*If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
This man never serviced his gas boiler for 18 years

Care to produce proof? Because I never wrote this.

Yet more lies and invention from the master of incompetence.

[snip drooling]

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Well, lets go back to bare wires and crock-clips, as even the present
regulations causes such irritation to the majority, and if they wish
to kill themselves then that's Darwinism...

Don't recall ever using vare wires and crock clips. Perhaps things are
different in your neck of the woods.

You seem to be trying to solve a problem that for the most part does not
exist. Much like Part P for example. Yes yuu can abuse fuses in plugs,
but in the grand scheme of things it does not seem to be a regular cause
of problems. People who abuse fuse ratings seem far more likely to abuse
rewireable fuses in old consumer units in my experiance.

Like others have said, I don't recall having to replace a fuse in a plug
for many years.

If you want to fix a problem, find a way to make sure that the earth
terminals on IEC (cold) plugs don't splay and hence interrupt the earth
connectivity to portable appliances. I have seen numerous power leads
fail PAT testing for this.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Gas can't be plastic.

You will be telling us it is not a fluid next...

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry::::

"Alan" wrote in message
In message

ws.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

Nothing can be made completely foolproof, but requiring more than

cheap tea-spoon to access the fuse in a moulded on BS1363 plug is

not
even trying.

Make it more difficult and it will be easier to cut off the plug

and
hold the bare wires into the socket with a couple of match sticks -

or
preferably with a couple of nails..

Well, nothing can stop that, even moulded plugs, and what's more if a
moulded plug does need to cut off (for what ever reason) the plug is
left with a lethal condition with bare wires exposed. IMO moulded on
plugs should be outlawed, anyone who defends their design must be
blind to their dangers.

For something to be safe you don't make it impossible to fix

without
special tools. Having to take something apart to replace a fuse

isn't
safe. People are going to see if the fix works before reassembling

the
item.

So design it so that it's impossible to use the plug whilst the two
halves are apart.

While I guess everyone on this group may have a set of screwdrivers
and/or security bit readily to hand many households don't have

these
items.
snip

IMO those who can source such tools are not the people who are the
problem, in general, although there are always the exceptions
admittedly.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Make it more difficult and it will be easier to cut off the plug and
hold the bare wires into the socket with a couple of match sticks - or
preferably with a couple of nails..

Well, nothing can stop that, even moulded plugs, and what's more if a
moulded plug does need to cut off (for what ever reason) the plug is
left with a lethal condition with bare wires exposed.

Err, why would cutting off a moulded plug be a common thing to do by an
idiot? Unless it's Drivel just wanting to find something else to use his
hacksaw on.

IMO moulded on plugs should be outlawed, anyone who defends their design
must be blind to their dangers.

Now if you were complaining about the dangers of badly fitted plugs in the
days when they weren't moulded on I'd have to agree with you.

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

:::Jerry::::

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

snip

I doubt it. But have the sense not to try and run two 3 kW heaters

off one
extension lead, or to have extension leads that won't carry 13

amps.

If you're continually replacing fuses, as you say, then you

need to
look into the reasons for this.

No one has said anything about having to continually replace

fuses.

You give the impression it's so common to be a serious problem. But

if it

It's more common that you seem to think though, taking the nation as
a whole and not just personal experience.

was, I'd suggest changing to radial circuits would make things

worse by
having less sockets therefore more overloaded extension leads, etc.

How do you work that one out, radial circuits don't mean less outlets
at all, it's true that it could mean more circuits though. Perhaps
you are you more worried about cost than safety...

As for replacing fuses, it's the fact that they are still a user item
designed to be replaced by everyone from expert to idiot rather than
a fix unit that is reset (such as a MCB). If MCB's were fitted into
plugs and the appliance came with the correct MCB-plug that would be
one way to make the abuse of ring circuits that bit more difficult /
common. This would also allow for backwards compatibility.

:::Jerry::::

Adrian C wrote:
I can only remember having to replace one or two fuses, and

those were
13 amp types. Most appliances which are fused at less than 13

amp will
be things like AV equipment and have internal fuses which will

blow
first anyway.

Not with you on that one. The function of plug fuses was to

protect the
lead. An excess of fault current through a damaged and shorted

thin
cable normally used to carrying half an amp will cause heating

and a
fire risk. Internal fuses may be ineffective here.

As has been pointed out, all flexes have to be capable of carrying
somewhat more than 13 amps as a fault condition. But then if your

flex is

But as has been pointed out, being able to carry 13 amps is way under
the possible maximum protection rating - something that you seem
unwilling to understand, just because you haven't come across such a
'user instigated fault'.

damaged, you shouldn't be using the appliance anyway until properly
repaired.

snip

But that's the point of the fuse, or do leads only get damaged when
not in use?...

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
This man never serviced his gas boiler for 18 years

Care to produce proof? Because I never wrote this.

12 years then. Anyone who does that is a blithering idiot.

snip babble

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
You give the impression it's so common to be a serious problem. But

if it

It's more common that you seem to think though, taking the nation as a
whole and not just personal experience.

Where's your evidence?

was, I'd suggest changing to radial circuits would make things worse
by having less sockets therefore more overloaded extension leads, etc.

How do you work that one out, radial circuits don't mean less outlets at
all, it's true that it could mean more circuits though. Perhaps you are
you more worried about cost than safety...

All radials tend to have a limit on the number of socket outlets per
circuit. And judging by posts from those where such circuits are the norm,
they're soon reached in practice. And your ideas on 'safety' seem to
suggest that they would be protected in such a way as to also protect the
appliance, which would mean something like 16 amp maximum. So easily
exceeded by a couple of normal household appliances. In a normal household
with reasonably well thought out rings, this really can't happen.

As for replacing fuses, it's the fact that they are still a user item
designed to be replaced by everyone from expert to idiot rather than a
fix unit that is reset (such as a MCB). If MCB's were fitted into plugs
and the appliance came with the correct MCB-plug that would be one way
to make the abuse of ring circuits that bit more difficult / common.
This would also allow for backwards compatibility.

Are you serious? MCBs cost many pounds each. And do you think you could
fit one into a plug without making it a stupid size?

I really think you're trying to find a solution for a problem that simply
doesn't exist - or basing it on some dodgy workshop you've had the
misfortune to work in. And I've seen many of those - but then rings aren't
designed for this sort of use.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
As has been pointed out, all flexes have to be capable of carrying
somewhat more than 13 amps as a fault condition. But then if your flex
is

But as has been pointed out, being able to carry 13 amps is way under
the possible maximum protection rating - something that you seem
unwilling to understand, just because you haven't come across such a
'user instigated fault'.

[sigh] No it's not. Unless some cretin bypasses the fuse in the plug - and
even a cretin knows the dangers of this.

damaged, you shouldn't be using the appliance anyway until properly
repaired.

snip

But that's the point of the fuse, or do leads only get damaged when not
in use?...

Appliance leads very rarely get damaged. You're on about workshop use
again. It's about time you improved your safety standards there.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
This man never serviced his gas boiler for 18 years

Care to produce proof? Because I never wrote this.

12 years then.

Wrong again.

I wonder what your ISP would say about your continual lying?

[snip drooling of one who can't tell reality from fantasy]

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Nick Atty

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:01:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
The point is, it doesn't need a lunatic, let the person who has never
put the wrong fuse in a BS1363 plug just get things working cast the
first stone, let the person who then remembers to replace it A.S.A.P
cast the second...

I can only remember having to replace one or two fuses, and those were 13
amp types. Most appliances which are fused at less than 13 amp will be
things like AV equipment and have internal fuses which will blow first
anyway.

When I last shut this computer down, it did all the nice things, and
then finished with a dramatic "phut!". It turned out to be the (5A)
fuse in the plug. I replaced it, turned on at the mains and "phut!"
again.

With a new PSU fitted it's working fine again. I'm pretty sure it could
have taken a 13A out - it must have gone as close to short as makes no
difference - but I'm happier it was a smaller fuse. No internal fuse
involved.

So a perfect case of the plug fuse doing just what it should have done,
and there being no internal one.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
:::Jerry::::

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Make it more difficult and it will be easier to cut off the

plug and
hold the bare wires into the socket with a couple of match

sticks - or
preferably with a couple of nails..

Well, nothing can stop that, even moulded plugs, and what's more

if a
moulded plug does need to cut off (for what ever reason) the plug

is
left with a lethal condition with bare wires exposed.

Err, why would cutting off a moulded plug be a common thing to do

by an
idiot? Unless it's Drivel just wanting to find something else to

use his
hacksaw on.

Well, I bet a lot of dish-washers, dryers, washing machines and
probably microwave ovens have there moulded on plugs removed when
being connected to FCU's, even though you seem to think it's a
pointless way of installing them....

IMO moulded on plugs should be outlawed, anyone who defends their

design
must be blind to their dangers.

Now if you were complaining about the dangers of badly fitted plugs

in the
days when they weren't moulded on I'd have to agree with you.

You are becoming like 'Drivel', you are totally missing the point
being made. :~(

:::Jerry::::

eenews.net...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
This man never serviced his gas boiler for 18 years

Care to produce proof? Because I never wrote this.

12 years then. Anyone who does that is a blithering idiot.

No doubt because CORGI says so....

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Well, I bet a lot of dish-washers, dryers, washing machines and
probably microwave ovens have there moulded on plugs removed when
being connected to FCU's, even though you seem to think it's a
pointless way of installing them....

So you can't use a length of copper to replace the fuse in an FCU?

And yes, I do think it totally pointless. If you want a switch elsewhere
from the socket - or a means of simply switching it off - use a 20 amp DP
type. Neater, and the plug fuse still 'protects' the wiring, and you can
simply unplug it when needed.

IMO moulded on plugs should be outlawed, anyone who defends their

design
must be blind to their dangers.

Now if you were complaining about the dangers of badly fitted plugs

in the
days when they weren't moulded on I'd have to agree with you.

You are becoming like 'Drivel', you are totally missing the point being
made. :~(

Sorry, Jerry, but your points are becoming increasingly difficult to
follow.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
This man never serviced his gas boiler for 18 years

Care to produce proof? Because I never wrote this.

12 years then. Anyone who does that is a blithering idiot.

No doubt because CORGI says so....

I've asked him countless times what a 'service' consists of and he doesn't
know. Some so called pro.

Of course I do regular safety checks.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
:::Jerry::::

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Well, I bet a lot of dish-washers, dryers, washing machines and
probably microwave ovens have there moulded on plugs removed when
being connected to FCU's, even though you seem to think it's a
pointless way of installing them....

So you can't use a length of copper to replace the fuse in an FCU?

Yes, of course, but if the circuit is a radial that's also protected
by a suitable MCB, in fact if it was a radial you would only need a
CU and not a FCU.

And yes, I do think it totally pointless. If you want a switch

elsewhere
from the socket - or a means of simply switching it off - use a 20

amp DP
type. Neater, and the plug fuse still 'protects' the wiring, and

you can
simply unplug it when needed.

No you can't, unless you have a plug and socket taking up space in a
cupboard, and what if there isn't a cupboard near - what do you do
when you have three appliances in a row, only the two end units are
next to any possible cupboard.

IMO moulded on plugs should be outlawed, anyone who defends

their
design
must be blind to their dangers.

Now if you were complaining about the dangers of badly fitted

plugs
in the
days when they weren't moulded on I'd have to agree with you.

You are becoming like 'Drivel', you are totally missing the point

being
made. :~(

Sorry, Jerry, but your points are becoming increasingly difficult

follow.

The point was about bare cable being left sticking out of moulded
plugs that have been cut off appliance leads (which is impossible to
remove, unlike those that can be split), your comment about badly
wired plugs was irrelevant.

:::Jerry::::

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
snip
Appliance leads very rarely get damaged. You're on about workshop

use
again. It's about time you improved your safety standards there.

Your taking the p*ss aren't you, has your wife never run over the
vacuum lead and damaged it, or worn the iron lead through on the
ironing board etc., she must be one in a million....

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

You mean this chappie ?

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Tony_Blair

Maxie, do you think sites like that are funny? They have never appealed

me.

Maxie, didn't Tone do well at getting the IRA to official drop the arms.

No
one else managed that. Great fella.

Saying and doing are two very different things. Tone is certainly
good at saying....

Tone didn't say it, the IRA did. Even Gerry Adams praised Tone. No one
since 1969 has managed that.

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Or find a nail, bolt or bit of wire that will fit, the final
protection needs to be taken away from the idiots who can and have
done such things.

You should work in government! That sounds like just the sort of
attitude the ODPM would love ;-)

You are pathetic. The point is how to make a circuit idiot proof. We

are
not interested in your Little Middle England pro Tory and anti Blair

crap.

I thought Blair was a Tory....

Then he should be your hero.

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
This man never serviced his gas boiler for 18 years

Care to produce proof? Because I never wrote this.

12 years then.

Wrong again.

12.5 years?

snip senile babble

Doctor Drivel

eenews.net...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
This man never serviced his gas boiler for 18 years

Care to produce proof? Because I never wrote this.

12 years then. Anyone who does that is a blithering idiot.

No doubt because CORGI says so....

Because common sense says so.

Doctor Drivel

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
This man never serviced his gas boiler for 18 years

Care to produce proof? Because I never wrote this.

12 years then. Anyone who does that is a blithering idiot.

No doubt because CORGI says so....

I've asked

irresponsible dross

snip senile babble

Andy Hall

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:56:34 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Tone didn't say it, the IRA did. Even Gerry Adams praised Tone. No one
since 1969 has managed that.

Praised Tone you mean? I suppose that you would be the only other
one.

I'd never have connected you to Gerry Adams though - Gerry Anderson
would seem more appropriate.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Capitol

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
If MCB's were fitted into
plugs and the appliance came with the correct MCB-plug that would be
one way to make the abuse of ring circuits that bit more difficult /
common. This would also allow for backwards compatibility.

Yep! You definitely should be involved with the idiots in Whitehall!
You obviously have missed your vocation in creating solutions to non
existent problems. Just think how many forests you could destroy on a
good day!

Regards
Capitol

Capitol

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Your taking the p*ss aren't you, has your wife never run over the
vacuum lead and damaged it,

No!

or worn the iron lead through on the
ironing board etc.,

That's what the 13A fuse is for, she's not capable of finding a 6"
nail, cutting it down to size and fitting it as a fuse! She does what
most women do, either find a competent man to fix it, or buy a new iron!

Regards
Capitol

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Yes, of course, but if the circuit is a radial that's also protected
by a suitable MCB, in fact if it was a radial you would only need a
CU and not a FCU.

But then your radial may be limited to supplying only one appliance...

The FCU buys you nothing really. A socket mounted flush to the wall will
take far less space than the normal hoses etc. that poke out the back of
most appliances so that is a bit of a non issue.

No you can't, unless you have a plug and socket taking up space in a
cupboard, and what if there isn't a cupboard near - what do you do
when you have three appliances in a row, only the two end units are
next to any possible cupboard.

The lead on the appliance will be plenty long enough to reach round
(most have 1.8m leads as a minimum) the appliance to the left or right.
Failing that, mount the socket on the wall behind it.

The point was about bare cable being left sticking out of moulded
plugs that have been cut off appliance leads (which is impossible to

That is not a particular fault of moulded plugs as such, cut any plug
off and you have the same situation. It is only a real problem if you
then strip the ends of the stub of wire poking out of the plug and
actually plug it in. Why would you?

remove, unlike those that can be split), your comment about badly
wired plugs was irrelevant.

Not really, because the compulsory intrduction of pre-fitted plugs on
new equipment (moulded or otherwise) did result is a big decrease in
accidents with appliances.

The moulded ones are also better/safer in some circumstances due to
their much more effective cord grip. The gain from that is far more
likely to prevent an accident than the potential risk posed by someone
plugging in a detached plug.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

But as has been pointed out, being able to carry 13 amps is way under
the possible maximum protection rating - something that you seem

I don't think you/joe public will easily find plug sized cartridge fuses
with a rating of more than 13A.

If you are talking about the 32A breaker on the circuit, then that is
not really relevant since it is not there to protect the appliance or
its flex, it is there to protect the circuit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Capitol

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Tone didn't say it, the IRA did. Even Gerry Adams praised Tone. No one
since 1969 has managed that.

I wonder why? Couldn't be anything to do with having to deal with the
realist Ian Paisley could it? Or the fact that their funds from the USA
have dried up and they've had to resort to bank raids and drug dealing.
I note that Tone and Ken didn't fall for the buying a Prius propaganda,
maybe they're not quite as stupid as they appear! They just rely on
others being stupid!

Regards
Capitol
John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

I'd never have connected you to Gerry Adams though

Oh I don't know... I am sure drivel could plumb his two combis so that
they go bang and demolish a house as well....

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Liquorice

On 31 Jul 2005 09:44:35 GMT, Huge wrote:

Given the opportunity (and let's ignore backwards compatibility,
at least to begin with), how would you redesign our domestic final
circuits to be completely idiot proof?

Making things idiot proof is trivial.

The Hell it is.

Idiots are far too cunning to be easily defeated.

Quite, just when you think you have got something idiot proof someone
comes along to prove you wrong.

As for making finals "idiot proof" some form of mechanical and
electronic interlock would be required. Both requiring satisfaction
before power is fed to the outlet. The electronic side would be
similar to that used with proper PoE systems, ie a dialogue has to
take place between the remote and the source rather than just simple
load detection at source or short control wire at remote.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Doctor Drivel

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Tone didn't say it, the IRA did. Even Gerry Adams praised Tone. No one
since 1969 has managed that.

I wonder why? Couldn't be

Could have been many things, but the starl fact is that no one has done it,
only Tone.

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Even Gerry Adams praised Tone. No one
since 1969 has managed that.

Why, does he not accept praise, or just never do anything praiseworthy?

Stop taking the silly pills.

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

I'd never have connected you to Gerry Adams though

Oh I don't know... I am sure drivel could plumb his two combis so that
they go bang and demolish a house as well....

No that is the senile lunatic, Richard Cranium, just don't service your
boiler for 12 years and hey presto.

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

Tone didn't say it, the IRA did. Even Gerry Adams praised Tone. No one
since 1969 has managed that.

Praised Tone you mean? I suppose that you would be the only other
one.

I'd never have connected you to Gerry Adams though - Gerry Anderson
would seem more appropriate.

That is right. Tone did a better job than International Rescue.