Nick Atty

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:01:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
The point is, it doesn't need a lunatic, let the person who has never
put the wrong fuse in a BS1363 plug just get things working cast the
first stone, let the person who then remembers to replace it A.S.A.P
cast the second...

I can only remember having to replace one or two fuses, and those were 13
amp types. Most appliances which are fused at less than 13 amp will be
things like AV equipment and have internal fuses which will blow first
anyway.

When I last shut this computer down, it did all the nice things, and
then finished with a dramatic "phut!". It turned out to be the (5A)
fuse in the plug. I replaced it, turned on at the mains and "phut!"
again.

With a new PSU fitted it's working fine again. I'm pretty sure it could
have taken a 13A out - it must have gone as close to short as makes no
difference - but I'm happier it was a smaller fuse. No internal fuse
involved.

So a perfect case of the plug fuse doing just what it should have done,
and there being no internal one.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)