:::Jerry::::

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Well, I bet a lot of dish-washers, dryers, washing machines and
probably microwave ovens have there moulded on plugs removed when
being connected to FCU's, even though you seem to think it's a
pointless way of installing them....

So you can't use a length of copper to replace the fuse in an FCU?

Yes, of course, but if the circuit is a radial that's also protected
by a suitable MCB, in fact if it was a radial you would only need a
CU and not a FCU.

And yes, I do think it totally pointless. If you want a switch

elsewhere
from the socket - or a means of simply switching it off - use a 20

amp DP
type. Neater, and the plug fuse still 'protects' the wiring, and

you can
simply unplug it when needed.

No you can't, unless you have a plug and socket taking up space in a
cupboard, and what if there isn't a cupboard near - what do you do
when you have three appliances in a row, only the two end units are
next to any possible cupboard.

IMO moulded on plugs should be outlawed, anyone who defends

their
design
must be blind to their dangers.

Now if you were complaining about the dangers of badly fitted

plugs
in the
days when they weren't moulded on I'd have to agree with you.

You are becoming like 'Drivel', you are totally missing the point

being
made. :~(

Sorry, Jerry, but your points are becoming increasingly difficult

follow.

The point was about bare cable being left sticking out of moulded
plugs that have been cut off appliance leads (which is impossible to
remove, unlike those that can be split), your comment about badly
wired plugs was irrelevant.