HoloBarre©®

Default Clausing vs. Harrison vs......

I'm still looking at lathes w/ snap handle collet closers, and am getting
mixed reports.
As some have noted here, the variable speed Clausings are nice (5900, 6900
series), but the hydraulic actuator of the variable speed can be dicey, and
expensive to fix. In fact, I saw one fail right before my eyes.
I'm wondering if the hydraulic actuator can't be replaced w/ some other
threaded/levered actuator, eg the Rockwell variable speed system.

A coupla guys swear by Harrisons, one guy saying his Harrison held .0005 w/
no problem at all. Another guy says Harrisons are crap because they have
"weak gears". Yet another says he worked in an airplane hangar that housed
both Harrison and Clausing-Colchester companies, and that the Harrison was
distinctly better, altho both were good. Indeed, the Clausing-Colchesters
I've worked on (round heads, 13 and 15") are real workhorses, take a lot of
abuse.

Another machine being offered is a square head Clausing Colchester, but the
clutches on those machines are squirrely, and real expensive to fix/replace
(altho I've talked a person or two who say they can get the clutch plates
real cheap--forgot who, tho).

I'm also looking at a nicely set up 11-12" rockwell, real cheap cuz its back
gears are stripped.

Any comments on these or other good economical engine lathes? I like
variable speed, but since I got a couple of Rockwell variable speed drill
press heads, I think I've been cured of that romance, and gears are quite
OK. Not crazy about belt changing on a lathe, tho.

I'm in the NY/NJ/CT/LI/PA area, so anyone thereabouts w/ a 10-14" machine
available can drop me a line.

Thanks.
--
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d

jim rozen

In article , HoloBarre©® says...

Any comments on these or other good economical engine lathes? I like
variable speed, but since I got a couple of Rockwell variable speed drill
press heads, I think I've been cured of that romance, and gears are quite
OK. Not crazy about belt changing on a lathe, tho.

If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD.

The variable speed feature that a VFD provides is hands-down better
than the mechanical contrivances found in, especially used, machinery.

The machine would be less expensive, less to go wrong, and it
will work better in the end.

Jim

please reply to:
Robin S.

"HoloBarre©®" wrote in message

A coupla guys swear by Harrisons, one guy saying his Harrison held .0005
w/ no problem at all. Another guy says Harrisons are crap because they
have "weak gears". Yet another says he worked in an airplane hangar that
housed both Harrison and Clausing-Colchester companies, and that the
Harrison was distinctly better, altho both were good.

You have to take the opinions of pros with discretion.

Some guys make their machines dance, using every last horsepower available.
Others finesse their machines.

Hardinge HLV-H is very capable as far as accuracy is concerned.
Unfortunately they are not made for heavy machining and are mostly incapable
of taking really heavy cuts (the slides start to move, so I've heard).

I've used a Harrison M300 and a Colchester Master 2500. Both are very nice
machines. I'd be happy with either brand...

Regards,

Robin

Jon Elson

HoloBarre©® wrote:

I'm still looking at lathes w/ snap handle collet closers, and am getting
mixed reports.

Any comments on these or other good economical engine lathes? I like
variable speed, but since I got a couple of Rockwell variable speed drill
press heads, I think I've been cured of that romance, and gears are quite
OK. Not crazy about belt changing on a lathe, tho.

A few years ago I bought a Sheldon R15-6. I got it fairly cheap, and
wouldn't
have paid a high price for it sight unseen. As expected, it had heavy
wear, and I
had to repair the bed. After that, however, the lathe has been totally
fantastic!
It is not vari-speed, but I didn't care. I fitted it with a VFD, and it
is very easy
to dial the speed up and down as needed. The VFD added a feature the lathe
normally lacks, which is a brake. Very nice!

This is a 3500 Lb machine, so may not be in the class you are looking for.
It has a D1-6 spindle, so any collet chuck you want can be set up on it.
It has a 2.25" spindle through hole, which was a significant factor in my
decision.

I bought it from Machinery Values in Harrison NJ. But, due to a litany of
problems, I would never buy anything from them again without personal
inspection.
They said this machine was in "excellent condition"! I don't consider .013"
of wear on the front way ONLY, to be excellent. I figured that would
give about a .032" barrel (by diameter) in a 1" workpiece!
But, you are apparently close enough to inspect a machine there.
If you do look at a Sheldon R-series, don't assume that wear will be
evidenced by a
"ridge" in the bed. The way the Sheldon carriage is made, it sweeps the
ENTIRE
width of the ways, and leaves no obvious ridge.

I have not done a lot of actual precision work on it, but have cut a few
parts to
high precision just to see what it could do, and I'm plenty happy with it.
It is the most solid lathe I've ever used, and I have used some good lathes
on occasion. One place it really showed its capabilities was making some
1" ball joint sockets. I made a form tool out of a 1/2" square tool
bit, in the
shape of one side of a 1" radius. I drilled the hole with a 7/8" Morse
drill,
adjusted the form tool to the right radius and just plowed it into the hole.
I had no idea what to expect. What I got was a soft crinkling sound of the
chips coming off the tool. Absolutely no sign of vibration, no matter how
hard I pushed it. Oh, this was in 1018 steel, too!

The tailstock is hard for me to pick up, even if I separate the upper
half from
the bottom half, I can barely lift either part! A REAL lathe!

Jon

If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD.

I can't name a single cone drive lathe ever made. I know there were
cone drives made about 100 years ago but hardly think that is what you
are suggesting. By any chance are you refering to Reeves drives with
variable width pulleys? Leigh at MarMachine

Don't buy a Rockwell with bad gears as there are no factory replacement
parts available. You might score what you need from an individual but
that is chancey. If you would be interested in a 13" Harrison A-A or
M300 I have both available and will quote a decent price fob a loading
dock near you. Leighat Marmachine

Richard J Kinch

HoloBarre©® writes:

Any comments on these or other good economical engine lathes?

My 11" Logan 1957 has a collet closer that works great. I can't believe
you'd need anything more than this kind of lathe if you're working on bar
stock that will fit in a collet.
William

"HoloBarre©®" wrote in message
[...]

I have a Harrison 13" AA vs speed lathe, and I'm more than happy with it.
The only down side is that the parts are very $$$$$ for it in the US, I
think that you can get the stuff for a lot cheaper in the UK. The local
distributor (REM sales) is very proud of the new stuff, that said, they can
however still get all most any part for it and that's a nice feature too.

William.....

[...]

Sir Al Babin

I bought it from Machinery Values in Harrison NJ. But, due to a litany of
problems, I would never buy anything from them again without personal
inspection.
They said this machine was in "excellent condition"! I don't consider .013"
of wear on the front way ONLY, to be excellent. I figured that would
give about a .032" barrel (by diameter) in a 1" workpiece!
But, you are apparently close enough to inspect a machine there.
If you do look at a Sheldon R-series, don't assume that wear will be
evidenced by a
"ridge" in the bed. The way the Sheldon carriage is made, it sweeps the
ENTIRE
width of the ways, and leaves no obvious ridge.

Years ago my kids would file and finish stone the ridge on worn lathe beds,
paint what needed and polish the bright work to factory new appearance.
Doing good deeds and paying the rent is the name of the internet machinery
sales game and I taught my kids good survival skills and values.
I Invented a hot liquid process for resharpening cutting tools using only a
wirebrush, hot plate and plastic dip pot.
My business card is plainly marked "caveat emptor" which has me covered. It's
always best to be up front with the public like this.
Honest Al

Gunner

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:29:28 -0800, Tom wrote:

wrote:

If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD.

I can't name a single cone drive lathe ever made. I know there were
cone drives made about 100 years ago but hardly think that is what you
are suggesting. By any chance are you refering to Reeves drives with
variable width pulleys? Leigh at MarMachine

Never seen a South Bend? The majority of them were cone pulley
lathes..

Tom

Cone pulleys are NOT cone drives Tom...a horse of a much different
color.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
jim rozen

In article , Tom says...

He posted:
"If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD."

Not really a bad idea if you think about it. I guess nowadays
I would rather have a step pulley bridgeport head than a varispeed
one.

Same with variable speed lathe drives. They seem to be a lot of
trouble, when they break down they're hard to fix, they use a
fair number of unobtainium parts, and they're mechanically
pretty lossy. Compare that to the speed range available from
a VFD and it's a no-brainer choice.

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:51:49 -0800, Tom wrote:

Cone pulleys are NOT cone drives Tom...a horse of a much different
color.

Gunner

Like the person who brought cone drives you can't read what Jim posted!

He posted:
"If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD."

Tom

Yes and? It still remains that cone drives are NOT cone pullys.

Your point was?

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Tom

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Tom says...

He posted:
"If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD."

Not really a bad idea if you think about it. I guess nowadays
I would rather have a step pulley bridgeport head than a varispeed
one.

Same with variable speed lathe drives. They seem to be a lot of
trouble, when they break down they're hard to fix, they use a
fair number of unobtainium parts, and they're mechanically
pretty lossy. Compare that to the speed range available from
a VFD and it's a no-brainer choice.

Jim

You might want to consider one of these:
http://www.colchester.co.uk/Product_...p?productid=37

They are a magic tool to use.

Tom
Tom

Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:51:49 -0800, Tom wrote:

Cone pulleys are NOT cone drives Tom...a horse of a much different
color.

Gunner

Like the person who brought cone drives you can't read what Jim posted!

He posted:
"If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD."

Tom

Yes and? It still remains that cone drives are NOT cone pullys.

Your point was?

Gunner

You're got the comprehension skills of the person who introduced
cone drives to the thread, bugger all.

Tom
Gunner

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:25:53 -0800, Tom wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:51:49 -0800, Tom wrote:

Cone pulleys are NOT cone drives Tom...a horse of a much different
color.

Gunner

Like the person who brought cone drives you can't read what Jim posted!

He posted:
"If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD."

Tom

Yes and? It still remains that cone drives are NOT cone pullys.

Your point was?

Gunner

You're got the comprehension skills of the person who introduced
cone drives to the thread, bugger all.

Tom

Your blind dislike for me is about as much concern to me as the
antics of a single cell protozoa living in a mouses gut.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Robin S.

"Gunner" wrote in message

Your blind dislike for me is about as much concern to me as the
antics of a single cell protozoa living in a mouses gut.

But of course by responding to him, you give his ramblings validity.

Regards,

Robin

Robin S.

"Tom" wrote in message

Obviously you're in a job that requires no degree of accuracy.
Is that one or two filters with that oil, sir? About right?

Yes, you're certainly correct.

But what does that have to do with my message?

Regards,

Robin

Robin S.

"Tom" wrote in message

Well your comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired when
eliciting whether a post is rambling or contains valid points.

Comprehension has nothing to do with it. Your post could be considered to
have both features simultaneously.

Who says I was taking a shot at you, anyway?

Regards,

Robin

Gunner

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:40:47 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Your blind dislike for me is about as much concern to me as the
antics of a single cell protozoa living in a mouses gut.

But of course by responding to him, you give his ramblings validity.

Regards,

Robin

Did I? Odd, and did my reply to him give validity to the belief that
Elvis is still alive and running a 7-11 in Pocatello Idaho as well?

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
Tom

Gunner wrote:

[...]

It not a dislike, just that you put your typing into
gear without actually comprehending what you are
responding to. "Cone drives" had absolutely nothing
to do with what Jim posted. I notice that the person who
erroneously made the conneection, has about as much backbone
as you, when admitting to errors.

Tom

Tom

"Robin S." wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message

Obviously you're in a job that requires no degree of accuracy.
Is that one or two filters with that oil, sir? About right?

Yes, you're certainly correct.

But what does that have to do with my message?

Regards,

Robin

Well your comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired when
eliciting whether a post is rambling or contains valid points.
I suggest you reread the thread, before further comment.

Tom
Robin S.

"Gunner" wrote in message

Did I? Odd, and did my reply to him give validity to the belief that
Elvis is still alive and running a 7-11 in Pocatello Idaho as well?

"I'm not going to dignify that with an answer". While I don't like using
clichés, this one illistrates my point.

You're also confusing subjective observations with objective facts.

Regards,

Robin

Tom

"Robin S." wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message

Well your comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired when
eliciting whether a post is rambling or contains valid points.

Comprehension has nothing to do with it. Your post could be considered to
have both features simultaneously.

Who says I was taking a shot at you, anyway?

Regards,

Robin

LOL! I rest my case.

Tom
Gunner

Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:51:49 -0800, Tom wrote:

Cone pulleys are NOT cone drives Tom...a horse of a much different
color.

Gunner

Like the person who brought cone drives you can't read what Jim posted!

He posted:
"If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD."

Tom

Yes and? It still remains that cone drives are NOT cone pullys.

Your point was?

Gunner

You're got the comprehension skills of the person who introduced
cone drives to the thread, bugger all.

Tom

I ask again..your point was?

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Gunner

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:35:17 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Did I? Odd, and did my reply to him give validity to the belief that
Elvis is still alive and running a 7-11 in Pocatello Idaho as well?

"I'm not going to dignify that with an answer". While I don't like using
clichés, this one illistrates my point.

You're also confusing subjective observations with objective facts.

Regards,

Robin

So you are saying that Elvis is Not alive?

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
Gunner

Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:51:49 -0800, Tom wrote:

Cone pulleys are NOT cone drives Tom...a horse of a much different
color.

Gunner

Like the person who brought cone drives you can't read what Jim posted!

He posted:
"If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD."

Tom

Yes and? It still remains that cone drives are NOT cone pullys.

Your point was?

Gunner

You're got the comprehension skills of the person who introduced
cone drives to the thread, bugger all.

Tom

I ask again..your point was?

Gunner

You made a statement:
"It still remains that cone drives are NOT cone pullys."

Yes. Its quite true.

Prove it in the context of the post in which cone pulley
lathes were first mentioned.

Why?

Tom

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Gunner

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Ever gutless, making statements you can't sustain...

Tom....did you recently suffer a debilitating head injury?
My sympathies to your family

" Traction drives depend upon friction between a speed adjusting
mechanism and specially shaped input and output plates to achieve
adjustable speed with relatively high efficiency. In one common type
of traction drive, the motor drives an input cone that transmits the
power from the cone to an output ring connected to the output shaft.
The speed adjusting screw moves the motor and input cone up and down
changes the point of contact between the cone and ring changing, the
speed ratio of the drive as much as 10:1. With another common type of
traction drive, a series of balls mounted on tiltable shafts press
upon the faces of the input and output cones. A speed adjusting lead
screw tilts the ball shafts to increase or decrease the effective
speed ratio of the drive transmission by as much as 8:1. Traction
drives are best suited for applications with steady state loading."

(pictures of how they work)
http://cvt.com.sapo.pt/reduce_axial_...al_sliding.htm

Cone pulleys
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=610

I suggest contacting a medical professional as soon as possible.
Perferably a mental health professional.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

(pictures of how they work)
http://cvt.com.sapo.pt/reduce_axial_...al_sliding.htm

That's a really interesting site.

I've had some ideas about CVTs, especially when I rode a bicycle a lot,
and it's nice to see that they weren't totally crazy. I'd since
forgotten about them--thanks for (inadvertantly) reminding me. I
thought they'd be more efeccient, but I didn't think they'd be in the
~30% range.

Robin S.

"Gunner" wrote in message
So you are saying that Elvis is Not alive?

I'm not debating any facts with you, Gunner.

What I was saying (and the point that you are not addressing) is that by
responding to someone's criticism, you give that criticism validity, whether
it is in itself valid or not.

Although, perhaps I'm guilty of the same charge. So I'll stop.

Regards,

Robin

Gunner

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:28:51 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
So you are saying that Elvis is Not alive?

I'm not debating any facts with you, Gunner.

What I was saying (and the point that you are not addressing) is that by
responding to someone's criticism, you give that criticism validity, whether
it is in itself valid or not.

Although, perhaps I'm guilty of the same charge. So I'll stop.

Regards,

Robin

Its about time you figured out you had screwed the pooch.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

[...]

Right. But my suggestion was that he purchase a cone-pulley machine.
That's what started this CF off. A cone pulley machine has cone
pulleys and flat belts. Here's a photo of one of those handy
cone pulleys:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Seneca1.jpg

another one:

http://www.geocities.com/noramm10566/59rear.jpg

As you have correctly pointed out, cone drives and cone pulley flat
belt drives are not the same thing. A cone drive would be a poor
choice for fitting a VFD, because a) it's already in principle
a variable speed machine, and b) they're pretty inefficient.

I would still suggest a flat- or v-belt, cone pulley (aka, step
pulley) setup, with a VFD added to the three phase motor to give
a very good true variable-speed machine. Seems like all the
fancy variable speed lathes (with the possible exception of
hardinge) all come with a host of wear issues, most of which
are only *slightly* sub-critical when the new owner takes
possesion. AKA 'that's why they were selling it in the first
place.'

Even you and I have had discussions about hardinge varispeed
mechanisms.

Jim

please reply to: