Gunner

On 10 Feb 2005 05:13:00 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

" Traction drives depend upon friction between a speed adjusting
mechanism and specially shaped input and output plates to achieve
adjustable speed with relatively high efficiency. In one common type
of traction drive, the motor drives an input cone that transmits the
power from the cone to an output ring connected to the output shaft.
The speed adjusting screw moves the motor and input cone up and down
changes the point of contact between the cone and ring changing, the
speed ratio of the drive as much as 10:1. With another common type of
traction drive, a series of balls mounted on tiltable shafts press
upon the faces of the input and output cones. A speed adjusting lead
screw tilts the ball shafts to increase or decrease the effective
speed ratio of the drive transmission by as much as 8:1. Traction
drives are best suited for applications with steady state loading."

Right. But my suggestion was that he purchase a cone-pulley machine.
That's what started this CF off. A cone pulley machine has cone
pulleys and flat belts. Here's a photo of one of those handy
cone pulleys:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Seneca1.jpg

another one:

http://www.geocities.com/noramm10566/59rear.jpg

As you have correctly pointed out, cone drives and cone pulley flat
belt drives are not the same thing. A cone drive would be a poor
choice for fitting a VFD, because a) it's already in principle
a variable speed machine, and b) they're pretty inefficient.

I would still suggest a flat- or v-belt, cone pulley (aka, step
pulley) setup, with a VFD added to the three phase motor to give
a very good true variable-speed machine. Seems like all the
fancy variable speed lathes (with the possible exception of
hardinge) all come with a host of wear issues, most of which
are only *slightly* sub-critical when the new owner takes
possesion. AKA 'that's why they were selling it in the first
place.'

Even you and I have had discussions about hardinge varispeed
mechanisms.

Jim

Of course. Now I should suggest that you drum this into our resident
Sheep Boinker Tom the Zealander. He appears to be a bit...confused
again. Or is it simply butt ignorance......

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Gunner

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:13:29 -0800, Tom wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:07:59 -0800, Tom wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:03:13 -0800, Tom wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:25:53 -0800, Tom wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:51:49 -0800, Tom wrote:

Cone pulleys are NOT cone drives Tom...a horse of a much different
color.

Gunner

Like the person who brought cone drives you can't read what Jim posted!

He posted:
"If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD."

Tom

Yes and? It still remains that cone drives are NOT cone pullys.

Your point was?

Gunner

You're got the comprehension skills of the person who introduced
cone drives to the thread, bugger all.

Tom

I ask again..your point was?

Gunner

You made a statement:
"It still remains that cone drives are NOT cone pullys."

Yes. Its quite true.

Prove it in the context of the post in which cone pulley
lathes were first mentioned.

Why?

Tom

Gunner

Ever gutless, making statements you can't sustain...

Tom....did you recently suffer a debilitating head injury?
My sympathies to your family

" Traction drives depend upon friction between a............

Gunner

There you go again! Ever heard of context? Perhaps it's your medications
but you have difficulty with context! Similarly, Leigh, who
incidentally
has has never explained his non sequitur posting, which derailed this
thread
with his post of:

Clausing vs. Harrison vs......
Date: 4 Feb 2005 20:04:25 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

If I really wanted a *true* variable speed lathe, I would purchase
a cone pulley machine and fit it with a three phase motor and a VFD.

"I can't name a single cone drive lathe ever made. I know there were
cone drives made about 100 years ago but hardly think that is what you
are suggesting. By any chance are you refering to Reeves drives with
variable width pulleys?" Leigh at MarMachine

You, in your usual fantasy world decided that, you would apply your
limited knowledge of lathes and post an out of context response to
my post vis á vis South Bend lathes not being cone drive lathes.

In justification of your claim you copy & paste a sreed about
"cone drives", nothing that pertains to lathes..
I would imagine that if anyone mentioned small blocks, you'd jump
right in and rabbit on about Chevs rather than Lego?

As regards lathes and "cone" drives, many manufacturers, with the
advent of geared head lathes, began to use the term to differeniate
between cone pulley drive lathes and geared head. The contraction from
cone pulley drive lathes was contracted down to cone lathes or cone head
lathes very early on. South Bend in their early literature refer to the
"cone spindle".,. surely implying driven by cone, how else?
Lodge & Shipley referred to "cone head" as against "selective head for
their geared head models. Again driven by the cone.

From a 1930 catalog:
http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/l&s1930.jpg

Perhaps you may have been better occupied asking Leigh
)
just what he was actually referring to, before making an unqualified
post.
Still, that would bring thought processes into play, something alien to
your persona, these days..

Tom

Bye Tom, Im a bit tired of your continual twisting of your own
incompetency into something to be gloried.
Enjoy your sheep.

plink

Date: 4 Feb 2005 20:04:25 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

From a 1930 catalog:
http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/l&s1930.jpg

Perhaps you may have been better occupied asking Leigh
)
just what he was actually referring to, before making an unqualified
post.
Still, that would bring thought processes into play, something alien to
your persona, these days..

Tom

Bye Tom, Im a bit tired of your continual twisting of your own
incompetency into something to be gloried.
Enjoy your sheep.

plink

Gunner

LOL, your less than informed opinion is noted and discarded as
usual, don't break a leg as you run away...

Tom
Accepting