Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
HoloBarre©®

Default Clausing vs. Harrison vs......

I'm still looking at lathes w/ snap handle collet closers, and am getting
mixed reports.
As some have noted here, the variable speed Clausings are nice (5900, 6900
series), but the hydraulic actuator of the variable speed can be dicey, and
expensive to fix. In fact, I saw one fail right before my eyes.
I'm wondering if the hydraulic actuator can't be replaced w/ some other
threaded/levered actuator, eg the Rockwell variable speed system.

A coupla guys swear by Harrisons, one guy saying his Harrison held .0005 w/
no problem at all. Another guy says Harrisons are crap because they have
"weak gears". Yet another says he worked in an airplane hangar that housed
both Harrison and Clausing-Colchester companies, and that the Harrison was
distinctly better, altho both were good. Indeed, the Clausing-Colchesters
I've worked on (round heads, 13 and 15") are real workhorses, take a lot of
abuse.

Another machine being offered is a square head Clausing Colchester, but the
clutches on those machines are squirrely, and real expensive to fix/replace
(altho I've talked a person or two who say they can get the clutch plates
real cheap--forgot who, tho).

I'm also looking at a nicely set up 11-12" rockwell, real cheap cuz its back
gears are stripped.

Any comments on these or other good economical engine lathes? I like
variable speed, but since I got a couple of Rockwell variable speed drill
press heads, I think I've been cured of that romance, and gears are quite
OK. Not crazy about belt changing on a lathe, tho.

I'm in the NY/NJ/CT/LI/PA area, so anyone thereabouts w/ a 10-14" machine
available can drop me a line.

Thanks.
--
Mr. P.V.'d