Leon Heller

Default Sharpening Stanley knife blades

I cut copper laminate for making printed circuit boards by scoring it deeply
on both sides with a Stanley knife and then snapping it. The blades get
blunt very quickly and I've found that I can sharpen them on an ordinary
oilstone. I've been using the same blade for months.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Jeff Wisnia

Leon Heller wrote:
I cut copper laminate for making printed circuit boards by scoring it deeply
on both sides with a Stanley knife and then snapping it. The blades get
blunt very quickly and I've found that I can sharpen them on an ordinary
oilstone. I've been using the same blade for months.

Leon

I keep telling SWMBO, "I'm not cheap, I'm just value oriented.", but
last Chanuka she got me a little porcelain figurine of Disney's Scrooge
McDuck anyway. I was born at the end of the great depression and learned
how to make do before america became a "disposable" economy.

I never had great success sharpening utility knife blades on a stone,
but once I got a 320 grit "diamond file" with a working area about 3/4"
wide by 2" long, WHAT a difference. A couple of strokes on either side
of the blade and it's good enough for me.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff (Who remembers sharpening double edged Gillette "Blue Blades" by
rubbing them around the inside of a straight sided drinking glass.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Walter Harley

"Leon Heller" wrote in message
I cut copper laminate for making printed circuit boards by scoring it
deeply on both sides with a Stanley knife and then snapping it.

PCB laminate also cuts very easily and cleanly with snips, if you first warm
it up with a heat gun.

Leon Heller

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Leon Heller wrote:
I cut copper laminate for making printed circuit boards by scoring it
deeply on both sides with a Stanley knife and then snapping it. The
blades get blunt very quickly and I've found that I can sharpen them on
an ordinary oilstone. I've been using the same blade for months.

Leon

I keep telling SWMBO, "I'm not cheap, I'm just value oriented.", but last
Chanuka she got me a little porcelain figurine of Disney's Scrooge McDuck
anyway. I was born at the end of the great depression and learned how to
make do before america became a "disposable" economy.

I never had great success sharpening utility knife blades on a stone, but
once I got a 320 grit "diamond file" with a working area about 3/4" wide
by 2" long, WHAT a difference. A couple of strokes on either side of the
blade and it's good enough for me.

I've got a diamond hone as well, which does work even better.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff (Who remembers sharpening double edged Gillette "Blue Blades" by
rubbing them around the inside of a straight sided drinking glass.)

How long did they last?

Leon

Jim Levie

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:37:04 -0800, Walter Harley wrote:

"Leon Heller" wrote in message
I cut copper laminate for making printed circuit boards by scoring it
deeply on both sides with a Stanley knife and then snapping it.

PCB laminate also cuts very easily and cleanly with snips, if you first
warm it up with a heat gun.

Or you could get a carbide tipped scoring tool from a building supply
store. It is commonly available for scoring Formica type laminates. It'll
last about forever, on in my case until I misplace it and then can't find
it...

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Phants

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff (Who remembers sharpening double edged Gillette "Blue Blades" by
rubbing them around the inside of a straight sided drinking glass.)
Jeffry Wisnia

Damn, Jeff - You must be even older than I am... ;-}

Strange, but my uncle did that trick with the blades and that was one of
his favorite sayings too...

There was a lot of "foolin' around" with electric meters back then too.
He tells me that some had "steel" parts which could be slowed or stopped
with proper placement of strong magnets, and some used a small wire
through or around the seals to "jam" where the gears meshed - pulled
before the meter reader got there...

reclaiming oil with osmosis and a lamp wick was slow but seemed to do
the trick... Lot's of others, but I'm beginnig to forget those...
JHbs

Jeff Wisnia

Leon Heller wrote:

[...]

Until they needed sharpening again of course G

Can't really recall how often they needed resharpening. I'm sure it
depended on how good a shave I thought I needed at the time. Like if I
was already late getting started off for work, "fughedid". Or if I had a
hot "first date" that night, let's see how "smooth" I can make it.

Anybody else remember the fun and games when the Wilkinson Sword
stainless steel blades first got noticed by americans? Guys were vying
to see who could get their hands on some first, asking airline pilot
friends to bring 'em back for them, and holding bragging competitions
over who could squeeze the most shaves out of one blade.

My dad, rest his soul, always wished that someday he'd be rich enough to
use a new Gillette Blue Blade for every shave, without feeling guilty
about depriving the rest of the family of money for something they needed.

And finally, anyone remember the "foxhole radios" from WWII where the
detector was made from a Gillette Blue Blade and a common safety pin?

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
snip----

Anybody else remember the fun and games when the Wilkinson Sword
stainless steel blades first got noticed by americans? Guys were vying
to see who could get their hands on some first, asking airline pilot
friends to bring 'em back for them, and holding bragging competitions
over who could squeeze the most shaves out of one blade.

Surely, you jest!

My face hasn't seen a razor since spring of '64. I couldn't care less if
blades cut, or not, nor if they lasted for one shave or a thousand. I don't
care if blades are made of stainless, or beryllium copper. I see no
reason to shave, and I don't. g

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
snip-

Sorry, folks, it slipped my mind.

Happy New Year!

Harold

Gunner

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:22:23 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

And finally, anyone remember the "foxhole radios" from WWII where the
detector was made from a Gillette Blue Blade and a common safety pin?

http://members.aol.com/djadamson7/articles/foxhole.html

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

Leon Heller

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

[deleted]

And finally, anyone remember the "foxhole radios" from WWII where the
detector was made from a Gillette Blue Blade and a common safety pin?

I'd actually try that if I could find one of the blades. I have experimented
with a small piece of galena and a wire as a detector, hooked up to a signal
generator. It actually worked occasionally when I poked the wire around on
the galena.

Leon

Roger Shoaf

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Anybody else remember the fun and games when the Wilkinson Sword
stainless steel blades first got noticed by americans? Guys were vying
to see who could get their hands on some first, asking airline pilot
friends to bring 'em back for them, and holding bragging competitions
over who could squeeze the most shaves out of one blade.

My dad, rest his soul, always wished that someday he'd be rich enough to
use a new Gillette Blue Blade for every shave, without feeling guilty
about depriving the rest of the family of money for something they needed.

My dad had a ritual where he would carefully rinse the blade after each
shave and then blow sharply across each side of the blade in attempt to rid
it of as much moisture as he could, and then he wrapped it in a piece of
toilet paper. He also had an interesting device that you inserted the blade
into and twisted a little crank on the side. Two leather coated drums would
strop the blade, retract, and then flip the blade over, and strop the other
side.

After the stainless blades came out he quit the stropping and when the twin
razor cam in he used those.

I find the best economy is with the cheap Gillette disposables. I have one
in the shower to make the roughing cut and one at the sink to make the final
pass. When the one in the shower gets grabby I replace it with the
finishing razor and grab a new one for the finishing cut. This way I get a
week or two between new razors and it is cheaper than buying blades.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 08:00:36 -0000, "Leon Heller"
wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

[deleted]

And finally, anyone remember the "foxhole radios" from WWII where the
detector was made from a Gillette Blue Blade and a common safety pin?

I'd actually try that if I could find one of the blades. I have experimented
with a small piece of galena and a wire as a detector, hooked up to a signal
generator. It actually worked occasionally when I poked the wire around on
the galena.

Leon

Ah yes, wiggling the cat whisker. One of the joys of crystal radio.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Gunner

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:10:12 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

I find the best economy is with the cheap Gillette disposables. I have one
in the shower to make the roughing cut and one at the sink to make the final
pass. When the one in the shower gets grabby I replace it with the
finishing razor and grab a new one for the finishing cut. This way I get a
week or two between new razors and it is cheaper than buying blades.

--

Roger Shoaf

If you shop at the 99 cent stores you can get 20 double bladed
disposables for a buck. A nickle apiece.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

DanG

I can't believe how many different versions of blade sharpening
there were.

My dad is 84 and lives in retirement central down in
Ocala,Florida. He started collecting shaving "stuff" years ago.
At last count he had well over 30 different patented and produced
devices. Some single edge, some double; all meant to get one more
shave out of those blades.

Yes, he has the plastic cased one with the rolling leather spirals
that are turned by pulling a cord - sound like what your dad used?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

[...]

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the
tube, then
they come up with this striped stuff.

Jeff Wisnia

Leon Heller wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

[deleted]

And finally, anyone remember the "foxhole radios" from WWII where the
detector was made from a Gillette Blue Blade and a common safety pin?

I'd actually try that if I could find one of the blades. I have experimented
with a small piece of galena and a wire as a detector, hooked up to a signal
generator. It actually worked occasionally when I poked the wire around on
the galena.

Leon

As a kid I used to spend hours late at nite when my parents thought I
was asleep listening to the one powerful AM station I could hear clearly
on my homemade crystal set. I was hooked to the radio adventure serial
"I love a mystery":

http://i_love_a_mystery.tripod.com/ILoveAMystery.html

IIRC you can also use a rusty "non-blue" blade in a "foxhole radio". Try
cleaning off whatever's on 'em when they're new with steel wool and
stick the blade in a damp flowerpot's dirt for a couple of weeks. That
ought to rust it pretty well.

I think it's just the oxide and the point contact which creates a
rectifier. I seem to recall that before the daze of selenium rectifiers
copper oxide rectifiers were around. IIRC these had a very low forward
voltage drop and were often used as to convert ac to dc in low voltage
ac meters.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Backlash" wrote in message
Hey Harold, link us to a picture of that weatherstripping you're wearing!

RJ

It'd just bore you to tears! g

Don't use any blades, but I've worn out a couple pairs of hedge trimmers
keeping it cropped short enough to keep it from tangling in the lathe.

Harold

You can probably get more time out of a bimetal blade like Lenox, I see
Irwin has either taken over the franchise or is making them themselves.
Used be at Home Despot and the local True Value. The Lenox blades got
closed out both places. I figure Lenox used some of their bimetal
bandsaw blade stock and punched out utility knife blades instead of
punching teeth on them and welding them up. They outlast the Stanley
blades about 10 to 1 and cost about twice as much. I usually chew the
edges up, I'd end up regrinding before resharpening and it isn't worth
my time to do that. The newer utility knives have pushbutton blade
changing, too, much faster for those making a living off the thing,
like carpet layers.

Stan

Roger Shoaf

"DanG" wrote in message
I can't believe how many different versions of blade sharpening
there were.

My dad is 84 and lives in retirement central down in
Ocala,Florida. He started collecting shaving "stuff" years ago.
At last count he had well over 30 different patented and produced
devices. Some single edge, some double; all meant to get one more
shave out of those blades.

Yes, he has the plastic cased one with the rolling leather spirals
that are turned by pulling a cord - sound like what your dad used?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No, it had no cord, it had a little crank. On one side it had a little knob
you would grab and slide out and it hinged open to install the blade. You
would then slide the blade back in and on the other side there was the
crank. It was one of those clever little folding cranks like you see on
cameras, the crank folds and the knob pops into a little hole when not in
use.

It also had a hinged door you could open to watch, clean or service the
gizmo. Very clever device.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:31:24 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
calmly ranted:

"Backlash" wrote in message
Hey Harold, link us to a picture of that weatherstripping you're wearing!

RJ

It'd just bore you to tears! g

Don't use any blades, but I've worn out a couple pairs of hedge trimmers
keeping it cropped short enough to keep it from tangling in the lathe.

We all thought you were tougher than that, Harold, and dangled
it in the lathe -to- trim it.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Rick

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

I've got a "Rolls Razor" laying around. It's a case with a rack and pinion
setup on one edge. The sides of the case have a stone and a leather face.
You insert the razor head and push/pull a handle which flips the razor head
back and forth as it slides down the stone...

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Backlash" wrote in message
Hey Harold, link us to a picture of that weatherstripping you're

wearing!

RJ

It'd just bore you to tears! g

Don't use any blades, but I've worn out a couple pairs of hedge trimmers
keeping it cropped short enough to keep it from tangling in the lathe.

We all thought you were tougher than that, Harold, and dangled
it in the lathe -to- trim it.

Well, I have this eccentric device that I grip in the chuck and attaches to
the shears------you get the idea. Cropped by Graziano. Doesn't everyone
do that?

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:20:14 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

We all thought you were tougher than that, Harold, and dangled
it in the lathe -to- trim it.

Well, I have this eccentric device that I grip in the chuck and attaches to
the shears------you get the idea. Cropped by Graziano. Doesn't everyone
do that?

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen

DoN. Nichols

In article et,
Rick wrote:

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

[ ... ]

It also had a hinged door you could open to watch, clean or service the
gizmo. Very clever device.

[ ... ]

I've got a "Rolls Razor" laying around. It's a case with a rack and pinion
setup on one edge. The sides of the case have a stone and a leather face.
You insert the razor head and push/pull a handle which flips the razor head
back and forth as it slides down the stone...

Yep! I've got one as well -- though it is years since I have
shaved. It pushes the blade along the stone, but draws it along the
leather strop. The two side pieces with the strop and the stone are
keyed so they can't be interchanged, so there is no chance of pushing
the blade on the strop and pulling it on the stone.

The blade is like a section of a straight razor blade, except
that it has a U-shaped guard frame which toggles back and forth as the
sharpening goes on. The blade has a double-D socket in it, so it fits
onto a projection on the shaft between the pinions on each end by
pressing on at 90 degrees, and then rotating to be parallel to the
shaft.

I can't find mine at the moment, but I do seem to remember that
it had a rack-and-pinion at each side, not just one side -- to assure
that the shaft did not cock in operation.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Karl Vorwerk

I've got my grandfather's rolls razor. I never got it where I was willing to
shave with it.
this yahoo group can be interesting:

Karl

nk.net...

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:16:06 GMT, "Rick" wrote:

I've got a "Rolls Razor" laying around. It's a case with a rack and pinion
setup on one edge. The sides of the case have a stone and a leather face.
You insert the razor head and push/pull a handle which flips the razor head
back and forth as it slides down the stone...

I inherited one from my father. If I forget to shave with my
Philips for a couple of days, then I use it to remove the long growth.
Much better than disposables.
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address