DoN. Nichols

In article et,
Rick wrote:

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

[ ... ]

It also had a hinged door you could open to watch, clean or service the
gizmo. Very clever device.

[ ... ]

I've got a "Rolls Razor" laying around. It's a case with a rack and pinion
setup on one edge. The sides of the case have a stone and a leather face.
You insert the razor head and push/pull a handle which flips the razor head
back and forth as it slides down the stone...

Yep! I've got one as well -- though it is years since I have
shaved. It pushes the blade along the stone, but draws it along the
leather strop. The two side pieces with the strop and the stone are
keyed so they can't be interchanged, so there is no chance of pushing
the blade on the strop and pulling it on the stone.

The blade is like a section of a straight razor blade, except
that it has a U-shaped guard frame which toggles back and forth as the
sharpening goes on. The blade has a double-D socket in it, so it fits
onto a projection on the shaft between the pinions on each end by
pressing on at 90 degrees, and then rotating to be parallel to the
shaft.

I can't find mine at the moment, but I do seem to remember that
it had a rack-and-pinion at each side, not just one side -- to assure
that the shaft did not cock in operation.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564