Jeff Wisnia

Leon Heller wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Leon Heller wrote:

I cut copper laminate for making printed circuit boards by scoring it
deeply on both sides with a Stanley knife and then snapping it. The
blades get blunt very quickly and I've found that I can sharpen them on
an ordinary oilstone. I've been using the same blade for months.

Leon

I keep telling SWMBO, "I'm not cheap, I'm just value oriented.", but last
Chanuka she got me a little porcelain figurine of Disney's Scrooge McDuck
anyway. I was born at the end of the great depression and learned how to
make do before america became a "disposable" economy.

I never had great success sharpening utility knife blades on a stone, but
once I got a 320 grit "diamond file" with a working area about 3/4" wide
by 2" long, WHAT a difference. A couple of strokes on either side of the
blade and it's good enough for me.

I've got a diamond hone as well, which does work even better.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff (Who remembers sharpening double edged Gillette "Blue Blades" by
rubbing them around the inside of a straight sided drinking glass.)

How long did they last?

Leon

Until they needed sharpening again of course G

Can't really recall how often they needed resharpening. I'm sure it
depended on how good a shave I thought I needed at the time. Like if I
was already late getting started off for work, "fughedid". Or if I had a
hot "first date" that night, let's see how "smooth" I can make it.

Anybody else remember the fun and games when the Wilkinson Sword
stainless steel blades first got noticed by americans? Guys were vying
to see who could get their hands on some first, asking airline pilot
friends to bring 'em back for them, and holding bragging competitions
over who could squeeze the most shaves out of one blade.

My dad, rest his soul, always wished that someday he'd be rich enough to
use a new Gillette Blue Blade for every shave, without feeling guilty
about depriving the rest of the family of money for something they needed.

And finally, anyone remember the "foxhole radios" from WWII where the
detector was made from a Gillette Blue Blade and a common safety pin?

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia