Roger Shoaf

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Anybody else remember the fun and games when the Wilkinson Sword
stainless steel blades first got noticed by americans? Guys were vying
to see who could get their hands on some first, asking airline pilot
friends to bring 'em back for them, and holding bragging competitions
over who could squeeze the most shaves out of one blade.

My dad, rest his soul, always wished that someday he'd be rich enough to
use a new Gillette Blue Blade for every shave, without feeling guilty
about depriving the rest of the family of money for something they needed.

My dad had a ritual where he would carefully rinse the blade after each
shave and then blow sharply across each side of the blade in attempt to rid
it of as much moisture as he could, and then he wrapped it in a piece of
toilet paper. He also had an interesting device that you inserted the blade
into and twisted a little crank on the side. Two leather coated drums would
strop the blade, retract, and then flip the blade over, and strop the other
side.

After the stainless blades came out he quit the stropping and when the twin
razor cam in he used those.

I find the best economy is with the cheap Gillette disposables. I have one
in the shower to make the roughing cut and one at the sink to make the final
pass. When the one in the shower gets grabby I replace it with the
finishing razor and grab a new one for the finishing cut. This way I get a
week or two between new razors and it is cheaper than buying blades.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.