Old May 28th 15, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair Lincoln Idealarc

On Thu, 28 May 2015 12:24:16 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

SAVED

There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big
commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.

Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.

Oh come now, you've already admitted to having a nice MIG machine ;-)

I guess it has a lot to do with what we are most comfortable with
using. I feel/do best with the MIG but the stick welder is a lot easier
to dig out and fire up...

Just remembered that Jody put up a couple TIG videos in the past
few weeks than may interest you. They are on using helium gas and how
they can make a weak TIG machine weld heavier aluminum pieces than
using just argon. Maybe you already know this... but if you want to
watch:

TIG Welding Thick Aluminum using DC and Helium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dCZyH_NBI

Tig Welding Aluminum with Argon Helium Mix part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDvRJ7HZ6E

Tig Welding Aluminum with Ar/He Mix part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJy7SbtH6s

Good luck with your bidding and let us know what you end up with.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old May 29th 15, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

SAVED

There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big
commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.

Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.

A tiny violin is being played for you, Karl. Pobrecito!

In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.
-- Albert Camus
Old May 29th 15, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Ive got a 350 amp squarewave tig machine (and a hot spare)
that is my workhorse for tig. Ive welded 16x6" chunks of aluminum
together with it..using a 1/4" Lanthanated tungsten and a Big! ass
torch..and preheating with a rosebud. With Tri-mix.
While wearing insulated coveralls..a leather apron, a leather coat and
stick welding gloves. My power bill went up $40 bucks that month too.

I could have put hotdogs on a stick around the welding area and had
lunch afterwards. Not something I want to ever do again.

Now I reserve that power level for welding with 3/8" 6011/7014
rod...seldom..very seldom....cant afford the power bill.

Gunner
Old June 4th 15, 07:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 May 2015 15:41:25 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'd love to have an inverter TIG to play with but I don't really NEED
one at this point in time. They cost a bit too much and I think they
have a lot of electronic stuff inside that could crap out just sitting
around unused... My old Solar (Century, Wards...) 295 amp stick box
hasn't got much inside that can fail. And my Millermatic 200 MIG
hasn't got a lot of electronic stuff but more than the Solar. It fires
up though every time I ask it too even though it pretty much sits
around nowadays.

I have a Miller 252 MIG welder. Wonderful machine. Have an AL spool
gun for it. Works well for most AL work but not on irrigation pipe.
You can't beat a TIG for weld control. If you are putting a weld-on
female end onto a pipe section, you need MAX heat and a wife or son to
hold the torch for preheat. Little welders just don't do it.

I'm driving an hour each way to get a couple of these done on my son's
welder - Syncrowave 250. he's offered to sell me his for $1800. i may
take hime up.

Karl

If you can't speak, just nod yes to Jacob's synchrowave.

You're need is urgent and related to bidness.

Your tits-up Linc is probably repairable but you don't have time or
inclination to mess around like a hobbyist might. That pot probably
controls a saturable reactor. Since the pot seems to check good, the
problem is probably either with the DC supply (rectifier diodes) for
the saturable reactor, or a bad connection. It could be an open
winding on the saturable reactor or a bad control transformer, but
that'd be unlikely.

The synchrowave is a very capable TIG machine. I don't think I'd
trade my dinosaur Miller DialArc 250 for one because, while the newer
machines have more bells and whistles, they also have more electronics
and that's what usually fails -- and is very expensive to get fixed.
I've had a couple of weldors tell me that when the boss changed out
their DialArcs for Synchrowaves, they suddenly could no longer weld
aluminum tanks without leaks. Just sayin' what I heard. The ol'
DialArc is a 400-lb dinosaur, but it's reliable as gravity and does
everything I wanna do.
Old June 4th 15, 07:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:07:39 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Id also mention..that is one of the finest welders ever made. I see
them in countless machine/welding shops..still chugging away 40 or
more years since they were new.

Spent four hours on it today, and got nowhere. thar's enough. I'm NOT
an electrical repairman.

You're right, this was a wonderful welder. I've had it 25 years.

Thanks for trying to help the helpless.

karl

Well, don't scrap it yet. It ain't like you don't have room at your
place for a busted machine. We can have a look at it some gunsmoke
and good grub get-together day.

Think you or Jacob might have any ideas about my oil-slingin' lathe
spindle?

Old June 4th 15, 07:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 20:46:20 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Karl, I am surprised at you. You own a welder for 25 years and say it was a wonderful welder. And then you say you are only looking at Blue Machines.

Dan

Lincoln made one hell of a good welder 40 years ago.

their managment discovered China and cheap manufacturing and ran the
name into the ground. DAMN shame but not an uncommon story.

But your Linc was made when Linc and Miller led the field by a mile.
Old June 4th 15, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:09:12 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Ebayers and Craigslisters will buy anything.

I just put it up on craigs list. waiting for the rash of idiot phone
calls. Bet I'm sorry before its done.

Think of it as your contribution to younger, smarter, willing-to-try
guys who recognize value in a quality old machine that needs a bit of
TLC. Give 'em a bargain, what the hell! It's our time of life to
be giving back, right? You won't even notice the nick in your
bottom line and it might be good for your karma.

Think how good you'll feel when a deserving young guy or gal hauls it
away, grinning, after paying you a pittance for it. It's the right
thing to do, Karl. Bless you!
Old June 4th 15, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

SAVED

There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big
commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.

Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.

Karl

Ya wanna come get my DialArc 250 for 3 weeks? You'd owe me and
Vicki, but offer's on the table. I can get by without TIG for 3
weeks. I still have MIG and gas.

Hell, I always have gas -- Vicki will vouch for that!

I'm not kidding, Karl; if you wanna borrow my DialArc 250 for three
weeks or so, come 'n get it. You're about the only guy I'd trust
with it -- like you trusted me to put hands on your beloved Monarch
10EE.