Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend[_7_] Karl Townsend[_7_] is offline

Default Repair Lincoln Idealarc

I'd love to have an inverter TIG to play with but I don't really NEED
one at this point in time. They cost a bit too much and I think they
have a lot of electronic stuff inside that could crap out just sitting
around unused... My old Solar (Century, Wards...) 295 amp stick box
hasn't got much inside that can fail. And my Millermatic 200 MIG
hasn't got a lot of electronic stuff but more than the Solar. It fires
up though every time I ask it too even though it pretty much sits
around nowadays.

I have a Miller 252 MIG welder. Wonderful machine. Have an AL spool
gun for it. Works well for most AL work but not on irrigation pipe.
You can't beat a TIG for weld control. If you are putting a weld-on
female end onto a pipe section, you need MAX heat and a wife or son to
hold the torch for preheat. Little welders just don't do it.

I'm driving an hour each way to get a couple of these done on my son's
welder - Syncrowave 250. he's offered to sell me his for $1800. i may
take hime up.

Karl