Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Repair Lincoln Idealarc

On Thu, 28 May 2015 12:24:16 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

SAVED

There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big
commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.

Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.

Oh come now, you've already admitted to having a nice MIG machine ;-)

I guess it has a lot to do with what we are most comfortable with
using. I feel/do best with the MIG but the stick welder is a lot easier
to dig out and fire up...

Just remembered that Jody put up a couple TIG videos in the past
few weeks than may interest you. They are on using helium gas and how
they can make a weak TIG machine weld heavier aluminum pieces than
using just argon. Maybe you already know this... but if you want to
watch:

TIG Welding Thick Aluminum using DC and Helium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dCZyH_NBI

Tig Welding Aluminum with Argon Helium Mix part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDvRJ7HZ6E

Tig Welding Aluminum with Ar/He Mix part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJy7SbtH6s

Good luck with your bidding and let us know what you end up with.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b