Old May 25th 15, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair Lincoln Idealarc

On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:09:12 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Ebayers and Craigslisters will buy anything.

I just put it up on craigs list. waiting for the rash of idiot phone
calls. Bet I'm sorry before its done.

Mebbeso.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Old May 25th 15, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:15:30 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

Probably one of these, from oldest to newer. I stopped at the one you
already looked at.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im224.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im228.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im236.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im243.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im265.pdf

Thanks for trying. I just got ****ed off at it and gave up. HATE
electrical repair - can't do it.

Have you used this machine since the lightning strike last summer and
it worked okay?

You probably don't unplug it and some of the electronics in it could
easily be damaged by a good lightning hit. I remember you telling about
the lightning hit and several items it messed up. Don't remember if you
turned any of it in on your insurance though, which is why I'm
mentioning it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old May 26th 15, 11:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have you used this machine since the lightning strike last summer and
it worked okay?

You probably don't unplug it and some of the electronics in it could
easily be damaged by a good lightning hit. I remember you telling about
the lightning hit and several items it messed up. Don't remember if you
turned any of it in on your insurance though, which is why I'm
mentioning it.

actually, I have to unplug it. There's a serious humm when turned off
and plugged in.

I'm going to have to take the unit in for repair GULP I had no idea
how expensive new welders that will do TIG and 300 amp are. My worry,
and I've seen this happen, I get a call a few days later saying sorry
can't fix your machine, the bill is $1000. BUT if you buy our new box
for too much $ we'll forget about the repair bill.

Karl

Old May 26th 15, 12:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

buy one at auction

Old May 26th 15, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 05:41:47 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Have you used this machine since the lightning strike last summer and
it worked okay?

You probably don't unplug it and some of the electronics in it could
easily be damaged by a good lightning hit. I remember you telling about
the lightning hit and several items it messed up. Don't remember if you
turned any of it in on your insurance though, which is why I'm
mentioning it.

actually, I have to unplug it. There's a serious humm when turned off
and plugged in.

I'm going to have to take the unit in for repair GULP I had no idea
how expensive new welders that will do TIG and 300 amp are. My worry,
and I've seen this happen, I get a call a few days later saying sorry
can't fix your machine, the bill is $1000. BUT if you buy our new box
for too much $ we'll forget about the repair bill.

And you go to pick up the old box and find that none of the cover
screws have been tampered with, so you throw the bill in their face
and walk out with it. BTDT with friends' equipment before.

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Old May 26th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 05:41:47 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
I'm going to have to take the unit in for repair GULP I had no idea
how expensive new welders that will do TIG and 300 amp are. My worry,
and I've seen this happen, I get a call a few days later saying sorry
can't fix your machine, the bill is $1000. BUT if you buy our new box
for too much $ we'll forget about the repair bill.

If you want to go new and cheap you might want to consider Everlast:

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Power...dp/B0081BEULK/

Make sure you read through the reviews first. Some people have had
problems and of course some people seem to be pretty happy with it...

Welding Tips And Tricks.com has some info too:

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/fo...verlast-250-EX

You can get some idea of new prices by searching on Amazon. Like:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ler+tig+welder

It looks like the Miller Dynasty 200 DX is going for $4275.

The old Miller DialArc was a hell of a welder. It could be configured
with HF AC/DC Tig. Weighs a ton but you may find a used one for sale in
your area. Came in several different amperages, sometimes only AC/DC
and no Tig so be careful when shopping.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old May 26th 15, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 10:24:26 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

The old Miller DialArc was a hell of a welder. It could be configured
with HF AC/DC Tig. Weighs a ton but you may find a used one for sale in
your area. Came in several different amperages, sometimes only AC/DC
and no Tig so be careful when shopping.

Ive got a DialArc 250 (stick) under my welding bench. The old bitch
has been bullet proof for the 15 years Ive owned her, and she was
elderly when I got her. Every couple years I take an air hose to her
and blow out the black widows and dust bunnies. Works a treat and I
expect it to keep working. Cost me $50 and a set of leads.

Ive used the HF-Tig versions..they work just as well.

Gunner
Old May 26th 15, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 06:52:31 -0500, Ignoramus24841
wrote:

buy one at auction

I'm trying. trouble is, a week is a long time without a welder.
Old May 26th 15, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2015 05:41:47 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
I'm going to have to take the unit in for repair GULP I had no idea
how expensive new welders that will do TIG and 300 amp are. My worry,
and I've seen this happen, I get a call a few days later saying sorry
can't fix your machine, the bill is $1000. BUT if you buy our new box
for too much $ we'll forget about the repair bill.

If you want to go new and cheap you might want to consider Everlast:

I'm only looking at blue boxes.

Karl

Old May 27th 15, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2015 05:41:47 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
I'm going to have to take the unit in for repair GULP I had no idea
how expensive new welders that will do TIG and 300 amp are. My worry,
and I've seen this happen, I get a call a few days later saying sorry
can't fix your machine, the bill is $1000. BUT if you buy our new box
for too much $ we'll forget about the repair bill.

If you want to go new and cheap you might want to consider Everlast:

I'm only looking at blue boxes.

I bet that your welder would still keep running, if it was blue.