Old May 24th 15, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair Lincoln Idealarc

I tore the machine apart. Pot runs smooth 0 - 12K ohms. Also tested
panel/remote switch, its fine.

Other ideas before the scrap man gets it?

Karl

pics here
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...-repair.35668/

Old May 24th 15, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I tore the machine apart. Pot runs smooth 0 - 12K ohms. Also tested
panel/remote switch, its fine.

Other ideas before the scrap man gets it?

Karl

pics here
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...-repair.35668/

Wiggle all the connectors and reseat any socketed ICs.

Old May 24th 15, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 10:41:18 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I tore the machine apart. Pot runs smooth 0 - 12K ohms. Also tested
panel/remote switch, its fine.

Other ideas before the scrap man gets it?

Karl

pics here
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...-repair.35668/

Checked the diodes as the gentleman suggested?

I just did a little google search...you may wish to read this

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...300-300-No-Joy

Old May 24th 15, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I tore the machine apart. Pot runs smooth 0 - 12K ohms. Also tested
panel/remote switch, its fine.

Other ideas before the scrap man gets it?

Karl

pics here
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...-repair.35668/

Have to sign up to see images...

Need the code number to get the right manual. There are several that
might be what you need. They aren't the best though...

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im192.pdf

Probably one of these, from oldest to newer. I stopped at the one you
already looked at.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im224.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im228.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im236.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im243.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im265.pdf

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old May 24th 15, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I tore the machine apart. Pot runs smooth 0 - 12K ohms. Also tested
panel/remote switch, its fine.

Other ideas before the scrap man gets it?

Karl

pics here
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...-repair.35668/

Id also mention..that is one of the finest welders ever made. I see
them in countless machine/welding shops..still chugging away 40 or
more years since they were new.

Ive used 20 or more different ones in shops..and have had 2 of my
own..and I really..really like this machine. Id spend the time
following the instructions and rebuild that board(s)

Pass it on to your grandkids children.

Gunner

Old May 24th 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I tore the machine apart. Pot runs smooth 0 - 12K ohms. Also tested
panel/remote switch, its fine.

Other ideas before the scrap man gets it?

Ebay, "Very old unit (complete with dinosaur teeth, not working,
$200 + actual shipping costs". It'll sell in a few days, but you
might have to come down to $175.

Ebayers and Craigslisters will buy anything.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Old May 24th 15, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 11:41:22 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:
I tore the machine apart. Pot runs smooth 0 - 12K ohms. Also tested
panel/remote switch, its fine.

Other ideas before the scrap man gets it?

Karl

pics here
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...-repair.35668/

Several years ago I helped the owner of a TIG welder find why he had no current control. The machine was not a Linco[n , but I expect most welders of that age used the same general idea. The current control in his case was done by a saturable reactor. There was a circuit similar to a light dimmer that varied the current thru the saturable reactor. The SCR was bad. I forget if it was open or shorted. After we had trouble shot the welder, he got a new scr and that fixed the welder. He was not as tight as I am. I think he got the SCR at Radio Shack for about $5.

It sounds as if you have about the same problem. We did have a schematic and just used a DMM for measurements. Any kind of a scope would have made finding it much faster.

I would advertise in Craigslist for someone to fix it. I am thinking of high school kid or someone in college. And if you have no luck with that, I would give it to some kid before letting the scrap man have it.

I would help you but am on the East Coast.

Dan
Old May 24th 15, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Id also mention..that is one of the finest welders ever made. I see
them in countless machine/welding shops..still chugging away 40 or
more years since they were new.

Spent four hours on it today, and got nowhere. thar's enough. I'm NOT
an electrical repairman.

You're right, this was a wonderful welder. I've had it 25 years.

Thanks for trying to help the helpless.

karl

Old May 24th 15, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ebayers and Craigslisters will buy anything.

I just put it up on craigs list. waiting for the rash of idiot phone
calls. Bet I'm sorry before its done.
Old May 24th 15, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Probably one of these, from oldest to newer. I stopped at the one you
already looked at.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im224.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im228.pdf
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im236.pdf