Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Home degreaser?

I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use a
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene, but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this? Maybe TSP?

I'm not quite at the stage where a hot tub of lye is called for.

Thanks for suggestions,

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may
possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene,
but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this?
Maybe TSP?

I'm not quite at the stage where a hot tub of lye is called for.

Thanks for suggestions,

Jon

Dawn does pretty well on grease and oil. My dishpan still has stains
from cleaning the truck's differential cover with it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127999735

In dry weather Dawn makes the skin on my hands crack while Dial
doesn't, so I have two soap dispensers in the kitchen and bath.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How greasy makes a difference. Really greasy I'd first use paint
thinner (better than kerosene): fasteners & thinner in a gallon can with
lid and shake it. And how clean? Thinner might be enough. REALLY
clean with lye (why not) - I keep a gallon mixed up & use it for a
variety of cleaning. Not as clean: hot TSP or Dawn in can & shake.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use a
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene, but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this? Maybe TSP?

TSP might work, use the hottest water you can though.

I degrease stuff with plain old 409 or Fantastik. Use long gloves, no
matter they claim, the stuff is bad for you and is absorbed through skin
real fast.

Final rinse is lots of hot water, so things dry before they rust.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/04/2015 05:10 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How greasy makes a difference. Really greasy I'd first use paint
thinner (better than kerosene): fasteners & thinner in a gallon can with
lid and shake it. And how clean? Thinner might be enough. REALLY
clean with lye (why not) - I keep a gallon mixed up & use it for a
variety of cleaning. Not as clean: hot TSP or Dawn in can & shake.

Greasy as in new fasteners in a box from China, with whatever the hell
kind of goop they put on them. I'd prefer to not be using solvents.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/04/2015 03:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Dawn does pretty well on grease and oil. My dishpan still has stains
from cleaning the truck's differential cover with it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127999735

In dry weather Dawn makes the skin on my hands crack while Dial
doesn't, so I have two soap dispensers in the kitchen and bath.

I'm thinking I'll need something a little stronger than just a
detergent, ideally something that I can just dip/swish with a basket,
instead of hand washing each part, but I might give it a go just for fun.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/04/2015 05:24 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use a
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene, but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this? Maybe TSP?

TSP might work, use the hottest water you can though.

I degrease stuff with plain old 409 or Fantastik. Use long gloves, no
matter they claim, the stuff is bad for you and is absorbed through skin
real fast.

Final rinse is lots of hot water, so things dry before they rust.

Yeah, I use gloves for everything, even for washing dishes, or should I
say, especially for washing dishes.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may
possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene,

You'd better cough, boy!
insert standard 'gasoline as a hazardous solvent' whine here
I picked up a gallon of purple degreaser and love it in the shop.
I've used it in place of Easy Wash in the laundry a time or two, too,
and it performed well.

but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this?
Maybe TSP?

TSP is still sold (HD, paint stores, etc.) and still works well.

I'm not quite at the stage where a hot tub of lye is called for.

Thanks for suggestions,

Jon

Dawn does pretty well on grease and oil. My dishpan still has stains
from cleaning the truck's differential cover with it.

I have heard that from beaucoup people so I tried it, both in the sink
and in the shop. After trying it in numerous different ways, I hated
Dawn for either space. My Palmolive dish soap works better than it
does, plus it smells a whole lot better. I think the original story
for Dawn may have gone something like this: "I used boiling water and
Dawn detergent. It works much better than my old detergent in cold
water with ice cubes."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127999735

Well, you know how easy Libs are to fool...

In dry weather Dawn makes the skin on my hands crack while Dial
doesn't, so I have two soap dispensers in the kitchen and bath.

Try the green Palmolive. Good stuff, Maynard.

I used to have cracks form in the finger meat at the ends of my nails.
They'd split right past the nail on the top of the fingertip. Hurt
like hell. I got some O'Keefe's Working Hands lotion and it helped
keep them moisturized enough to heal. After that I realized that I
had too little oil in my diet, so I added coconut oil. About a
tablespoon a day (melted in a cup of tea) keeps my skin from getting
flaky and my fingertips from cracking, so I hardly need the O'Keefe's
any more.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dawn detergent is the accepted norm for water cleaning of grease/oil.
Works great on clothes, hands metals and concrete

Now..if the stuff is TOO greasy/oily..it will of course kill the
detergent..so spray it off in your parts washer before doing the
finish work.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 03/04/2015 03:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Dawn does pretty well on grease and oil. My dishpan still has
stains
from cleaning the truck's differential cover with it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127999735

In dry weather Dawn makes the skin on my hands crack while Dial
doesn't, so I have two soap dispensers in the kitchen and bath.

I'm thinking I'll need something a little stronger than just a
detergent, ideally something that I can just dip/swish with a
basket,
instead of hand washing each part, but I might give it a go just for
fun.

Jon

An industrial chemist taught me to economize on solvent by dipping the
parts in three numbered cans sequentially. When the first became too
dirty it was poured out, the second poured into the first, the third
into the second, and the third refilled with clean solvent. Let the
solvent mostly drain off the parts before moving them to the next can.

For reference:
http://www.justritesafetyonline.com/...FaEF7AodQHYACw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use a
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene, but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this? Maybe TSP?

I'm not quite at the stage where a hot tub of lye is called for.

Thanks for suggestions,

Jon

OilEater will even eat asphalt yet leave metal, cotton, plastic untouched.
I love it. It is avail at Costco and Walmart.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/4/2015 7:29 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 03/04/2015 05:10 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How greasy makes a difference. Really greasy I'd first use paint
thinner (better than kerosene): fasteners & thinner in a gallon can with
lid and shake it. And how clean? Thinner might be enough. REALLY
clean with lye (why not) - I keep a gallon mixed up & use it for a
variety of cleaning. Not as clean: hot TSP or Dawn in can & shake.

Greasy as in new fasteners in a box from China, with whatever the hell
kind of goop they put on them. I'd prefer to not be using solvents.

Jon

Hmm, I was ready to say put them in a metal strainer and agitate them
in acetone, Then put them in the dishwasher, with the best grease
cutting dishwasher soap you can find with google.
So skip the first step and be sure to use hot water.

How quickly will rust start?

Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You are supposedly a schoo-trained car mechanic. Honestly, I don't see why you haven't just recommended engine degreaser.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-03-05, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I'm thinking I'll need something a little stronger than just a
detergent, ideally something that I can just dip/swish with a
basket,
instead of hand washing each part, but I might give it a go just for
fun.

[ ... ]

An industrial chemist taught me to economize on solvent by dipping the
parts in three numbered cans sequentially. When the first became too
dirty it was poured out, the second poured into the first, the third
into the second, and the third refilled with clean solvent. Let the
solvent mostly drain off the parts before moving them to the next can.

Another way which works nicely is a vapor dgreaser.

Start with a container of your favorite solvent (I used 1,1,1
Trichlor(ethlyene/ethane?) back when), with heat under it to boil it.

Put into the top of the container is a double-walled cylinder
with fittings so cold water can circulate through it (to condense the
solvent vapor and drip it back into the container.

THe parts to be degreased are put in a wire basket which is
lowered into the vapor cloud, and the solvent vapor condenses on the
parts, carries off any grease or oils, and drips back into the container.
Eventually, the parts get too warm to condense the solvent, so you pull
it out and put in the next batch.

You cover the top with a big Petri dish to keep the vapor out of
your workspace.

Hmm ... the ones on eBay are much larger and *much* more
expensive. :-) But you should be able to make one from my description
above for not too much money.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/05/2015 05:33 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[...]

Interesting idea Don, no matter how dirty the solvent gets, the stuff
that condenses on the parts is still clean.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 3:04:40 PM UTC-8, Jon Danniken wrote:
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see).

I've used an ultrasonic tub, filled with water and a few tablespoons of
waterless hand cleaner.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In my ultrasonic I use simple green and when I get something bad as a
dude, I get out the industrial floor degreaser I got at Sams - think
Wallmart also. It will work like tsp. I got off 1/4" think gunky and
hard Cozumel from some tools. I had to toss the tank contents and clean
out the tank again. Tool was bright. Tank thought it cooked a Raccoon
in it.

Martin

On 3/5/2015 9:42 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 3:04:40 PM UTC-8, Jon Danniken wrote:
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see).

I've used an ultrasonic tub, filled with water and a few tablespoons of
waterless hand cleaner.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 22:54:14 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

In my ultrasonic I use simple green and when I get something bad as a
dude, I get out the industrial floor degreaser I got at Sams - think
Wallmart also. It will work like tsp. I got off 1/4" think gunky and
hard Cozumel from some tools. I had to toss the tank contents and clean
out the tank again. Tool was bright. Tank thought it cooked a Raccoon
in it.

Cozumel is a tourist resort in Mexico, Martin. Y'know, titties and
beer?

Did you mean Cosmolene? The old stuff was thick and gunky.

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/4/2015 6:04 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use a
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene, but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this? Maybe TSP?

I'm not quite at the stage where a hot tub of lye is called for.

Thanks for suggestions,

Jon

http://k-kleen.com/kem4/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 6:04:40 PM UTC-5, Jon Danniken wrote:
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use a
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene, but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this? Maybe TSP?

I'm not quite at the stage where a hot tub of lye is called for.

Thanks for suggestions,

Jon

I used to have in my shop, the all-time nastiest degreaser. It was a 5-gallon bucket 1/2 full of methylene chloride (like in paint stripper), with almost 1/2 a bucket of water floating on top, and a thin layer of oil on top of that, to keep the water from evaporating.

You could dip the dirtiest, greasy-est, ugliest stuff in it, and it would come out so clean that surface rust would begin almost immediately.

I go this at a local auto parts store, it was sold as carb cleaner. I disposed of it (after years of use) at a hazardous waste disposal "event." I was pretty nervous driving there with the covered but unsealed bucket in my trunk.

Nasty stuff, that was, but it sure did get parts clean.

In the past (25+ years ago), I had some "as seen on TV" stuff called "Citrus Miracle." This was an orange oil based stuff, you could dilute it like 100:1 and use it as a general purpose cleaner. Undiluted, it was formidable. It would clean flux off circuit boards better than anything else I've used, short of a vapor degreaser. Of course, the company that sold it disappeared before I could get more, and I've never seen anything quite like it since.. It was way more concentrated and more viscous than stuff I see in stores. I'd love to get some more of that, if anyone knows where to look.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I put plain water in the ultrasonic cleaner tank, and the dirty stuff and
whatever solvent or soap solution in a plastic cup or bowl (margarine or
cool whip tub) and put that in the tank. Back when I was working in a lab
we just used glass beakers, they worked great, but somehow I don't have any
of them floating around my house :-). I may lose a bit of cleaning power at
the interface but I just rinse the bowl or cup and if it is still dirty I
toss it and start another, so tank cleanup is a breeze. Makes it much more
convenient when cleaning small screws and nuts or other tiny bits, just use
a very small cup. Cuts down the volume of cleaning solvent needed, and I
can do tall stuff by cutting the top off of a shampoo or dishwashing
detergent bottle and standing my long part up in that so it's fully
submerged. Never needed to do a pistol barrel, but that's how I will if and
when :-). Hmm, just thought of something - wonder if you could put parts
and soapy water in a Ziploc bag and put that in the tank, instead of a rigid
bowl? Wonder how well that would work. Wouldn't try it with organic
solvents, but water based stuff should be ok. Have to try that sometime;
should cut the solvent volume down for long skinny parts compared to a round
bowl. Anyway, just some suggestions.

Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames aat deletethis verizon dott net
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

In my ultrasonic I use simple green and when I get something bad as a
dude, I get out the industrial floor degreaser I got at Sams - think
Wallmart also. It will work like tsp. I got off 1/4" think gunky and
hard Cozumel from some tools. I had to toss the tank contents and clean
out the tank again. Tool was bright. Tank thought it cooked a Raccoon
in it.

Martin

On 3/5/2015 9:42 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 3:04:40 PM UTC-8, Jon Danniken wrote:
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see).

I've used an ultrasonic tub, filled with water and a few tablespoons of
waterless hand cleaner.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 22:18:13 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

spell checker and an old brain caught me!
Thanks

Aw, I'm sure it was just that you wanted to think about titties and
beer once again, wasn't it? We can keep your secret. wink

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.