Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Home degreaser?

On 2015-03-05, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I'm thinking I'll need something a little stronger than just a
detergent, ideally something that I can just dip/swish with a
basket,
instead of hand washing each part, but I might give it a go just for
fun.

[ ... ]

An industrial chemist taught me to economize on solvent by dipping the
parts in three numbered cans sequentially. When the first became too
dirty it was poured out, the second poured into the first, the third
into the second, and the third refilled with clean solvent. Let the
solvent mostly drain off the parts before moving them to the next can.

Another way which works nicely is a vapor dgreaser.

Start with a container of your favorite solvent (I used 1,1,1
Trichlor(ethlyene/ethane?) back when), with heat under it to boil it.

Put into the top of the container is a double-walled cylinder
with fittings so cold water can circulate through it (to condense the
solvent vapor and drip it back into the container.

THe parts to be degreased are put in a wire basket which is
lowered into the vapor cloud, and the solvent vapor condenses on the
parts, carries off any grease or oils, and drips back into the container.
Eventually, the parts get too warm to condense the solvent, so you pull
it out and put in the next batch.

You cover the top with a big Petri dish to keep the vapor out of
your workspace.

Hmm ... the ones on eBay are much larger and *much* more
expensive. :-) But you should be able to make one from my description
above for not too much money.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--