Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] walter_evening@post.com is offline

Default Home degreaser?

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 8:34:47 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may
possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see). If I only had a few I'd just use
parts brush and some gaso^h^h^h^h, cough, I mean, um, kerosene,

You'd better cough, boy!
insert standard 'gasoline as a hazardous solvent' whine here
I picked up a gallon of purple degreaser and love it in the shop.
I've used it in place of Easy Wash in the laundry a time or two, too,
and it performed well.

but
I'm looking for something non solvent-based.

Is automatic dishwasher powder still a viable option for this?
Maybe TSP?

TSP is still sold (HD, paint stores, etc.) and still works well.

I'm not quite at the stage where a hot tub of lye is called for.

Thanks for suggestions,

Jon

Dawn does pretty well on grease and oil. My dishpan still has stains
from cleaning the truck's differential cover with it.

I have heard that from beaucoup people so I tried it, both in the sink
and in the shop. After trying it in numerous different ways, I hated
Dawn for either space. My Palmolive dish soap works better than it
does, plus it smells a whole lot better. I think the original story
for Dawn may have gone something like this: "I used boiling water and
Dawn detergent. It works much better than my old detergent in cold
water with ice cubes."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127999735

Well, you know how easy Libs are to fool...

In dry weather Dawn makes the skin on my hands crack while Dial
doesn't, so I have two soap dispensers in the kitchen and bath.

Try the green Palmolive. Good stuff,
Maynard.

You are supposedly a schoo-trained car mechanic. Honestly, I don't see why you haven't just recommended engine degreaser.