Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default removing cleaner/degreaser discoloration?

Hi,

I had to spray into the pots and slide switches of a portable and a
clock radio as they were getting mighty scratchy and cutting out when
adjusting volume. Of course, some leaked onto the outside plastic case
around the controls, leaving a small area of foggy whitish on the
black case. I noticed wiping the area with a damp cloth restores the
color for about 5 seconds, and then back to the foggy white when the
water evaporates. What can I use to safely remove the foggy residue.
I used Tech Spray Envi-ro-tech 1677. Strange it looks OK when it looks
wet. Thanks much.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dke3591 wrote:
Hi,

I had to spray into the pots and slide switches of a portable and a
clock radio as they were getting mighty scratchy and cutting out when
adjusting volume. Of course, some leaked onto the outside plastic case
around the controls, leaving a small area of foggy whitish on the
black case. I noticed wiping the area with a damp cloth restores the
color for about 5 seconds, and then back to the foggy white when the
water evaporates. What can I use to safely remove the foggy residue.
I used Tech Spray Envi-ro-tech 1677. Strange it looks OK when it looks
wet. Thanks much.

You may have removed the topmost layer, possibly a light polish with
something like T-Cut (car paint restorer) or whatever the US equivelent
is would help

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , dke3591 wrote:
Hi,

I had to spray into the pots and slide switches of a portable and a
clock radio as they were getting mighty scratchy and cutting out when
adjusting volume. Of course, some leaked onto the outside plastic case
around the controls, leaving a small area of foggy whitish on the
black case. I noticed wiping the area with a damp cloth restores the
color for about 5 seconds, and then back to the foggy white when the
water evaporates. What can I use to safely remove the foggy residue.
I used Tech Spray Envi-ro-tech 1677. Strange it looks OK when it looks
wet. Thanks much.

Auto polish ?

Should have used 1667

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
dke3591 wrote:

Hi,

I had to spray into the pots and slide switches of a portable and a
clock radio as they were getting mighty scratchy and cutting out when
adjusting volume. Of course, some leaked onto the outside plastic case
around the controls, leaving a small area of foggy whitish on the
black case. I noticed wiping the area with a damp cloth restores the
color for about 5 seconds, and then back to the foggy white when the
water evaporates. What can I use to safely remove the foggy residue.
I used Tech Spray Envi-ro-tech 1677. Strange it looks OK when it looks
wet. Thanks much.

Oil. Any kind will work, but I use olive oil. A very, very, very light
coating is all you need.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks everyone,

I tried the olive oil so far seems to help somewhat, but I'll probably
try one if the other options also.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , dke3591 wrote:
Thanks everyone,

I tried the olive oil so far seems to help somewhat, but I'll probably
try one if the other options also.

Oils dry out. By using a wax that melts the surface like car wax, it pretty
much stays the same for a long time. They also have Plexaglass counpound which is much the same.

greg