Old November 26th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this discoloration in toilet?

Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Old November 26th 06, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Calcium buildup from the water supply (hardness).

Muriatic acid is very effective in dissolving
the minerals.

Muriatic acid is also VERY dangerous to use!!
Wear eye protection and have good ventilation.
Rubber gloves to protect skin.

Plunge the bowl to get rid of as much water as you can.

GOOGLE "muriatic acid" so you know what you're dealing with.

AYOR

Jim
Old November 26th 06, 08:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Nov 2006 10:56:17 -0800, "
wrote:

Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

I would try diluted muratic acid (follow directions) to clean it and
rinse well. My guess is your water causes this.

--
Oren

Old November 26th 06, 08:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 26th 06, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Frank

Old November 26th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

hows it flushing? the build up often clogs the inner bowl passages
causing poor flushing.....

muriatic acids risks are overstated, just have window open, dont
splash, wear gloves. wear eye protection in case you splash by
accident.

i just take a deep breathe hold it use acid and leave room immediately
shutting door

years ago acids were used all the time without the safety hype

Old November 26th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Nov 2006 11:47:47 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

--
Oren

Old November 26th 06, 09:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Nov 2006 11:48:02 -0800, "
wrote:

muriatic acids risks are overstated, just have window open, dont
splash, wear gloves. wear eye protection in case you splash by
accident.

Don't pour water into muriatic acid; pour muriatic acid into water.

i just take a deep breathe hold it use acid and leave room immediately
shutting door

Abandon ship....

years ago acids were used all the time without the safety hype

If Jimmy Hoffa could tell us........

--
Oren

Old November 26th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Oren wrote:
On 26 Nov 2006 11:47:47 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

It's also excellent for removing calcium deposits from the
porcelain on sinks (around the faucets and drain). A few
drops of white vinegar every few months does wonders for
my sinks.

Not sure it will handle heavy deposits in a toilet bowl tho'.
Could try let the vinegar working for a few hours, scrub with
a stiff brush, and repeat. I guess one would get there in the
end but it might take a few days.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Wood DIScoloration Steve B Woodworking 2 January 9th 06 05:43 PM
Copper sink discoloration [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 28th 05 09:38 PM
Brass discoloration? ? ? Ray Home Repair 3 October 20th 05 12:58 AM
Help with discoloration on TV KitKat Electronics Repair 6 January 25th 05 04:17 AM
discoloration on dining table gardin Home Repair 0 August 28th 04 03:38 PM