Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_8_] Carl Ijames[_8_] is offline

Default Home degreaser?

I put plain water in the ultrasonic cleaner tank, and the dirty stuff and
whatever solvent or soap solution in a plastic cup or bowl (margarine or
cool whip tub) and put that in the tank. Back when I was working in a lab
we just used glass beakers, they worked great, but somehow I don't have any
of them floating around my house :-). I may lose a bit of cleaning power at
the interface but I just rinse the bowl or cup and if it is still dirty I
toss it and start another, so tank cleanup is a breeze. Makes it much more
convenient when cleaning small screws and nuts or other tiny bits, just use
a very small cup. Cuts down the volume of cleaning solvent needed, and I
can do tall stuff by cutting the top off of a shampoo or dishwashing
detergent bottle and standing my long part up in that so it's fully
submerged. Never needed to do a pistol barrel, but that's how I will if and
when :-). Hmm, just thought of something - wonder if you could put parts
and soapy water in a Ziploc bag and put that in the tank, instead of a rigid
bowl? Wonder how well that would work. Wouldn't try it with organic
solvents, but water based stuff should be ok. Have to try that sometime;
should cut the solvent volume down for long skinny parts compared to a round
bowl. Anyway, just some suggestions.

Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames aat deletethis verizon dott net
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

In my ultrasonic I use simple green and when I get something bad as a
dude, I get out the industrial floor degreaser I got at Sams - think
Wallmart also. It will work like tsp. I got off 1/4" think gunky and
hard Cozumel from some tools. I had to toss the tank contents and clean
out the tank again. Tool was bright. Tank thought it cooked a Raccoon
in it.

Martin

On 3/5/2015 9:42 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 3:04:40 PM UTC-8, Jon Danniken wrote:
I have a bucket of fasteners that I need to degrease, which may possibly
be an ongoing project (we'll see).

I've used an ultrasonic tub, filled with water and a few tablespoons of
waterless hand cleaner.