Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do these lathes look used?

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Same question applies to this radial drill:

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505307

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25323" wrote in
message news
Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

We took Khrushchev's bluster very seriously:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchison_Storage_Facility
"In the drawdown following the war, the Army began to stockpile these
tools to be held in reserve status to be used in the event of another
national mobilization."

"At its peak, a private contractor was responsible for maintaining
more than 5,000 machine tools in the reserve facility."

I remember some being released for sale in the 1970's. I bought some
equipment that had reputedly been stored in a cave in New Mexico.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

OK, we will see soon. I have low expectations and I bought them at
below-scrap prices.

That same auction had a couple of similar brand new machines that were
inside, not rusted. The interesting thing is, they were in similar
crates.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

OK, we will see soon. I have low expectations and I bought them at
below-scrap prices.

That same auction had a couple of similar brand new machines that were
inside, not rusted. The interesting thing is, they were in similar
crates.

If nothing else the TEFC motors can probably sell separate along with a
few other bits and pieces and the rest is a heavy pile of scrap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 10:40:58 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

Little surface rust easily cleaned up wont hurt a thing.

This coming week Ive got to clean up a G&E 16" Universal Shaper a
buddy bought. One of the really neat ones. Same model as below

http://www.anvilfire.com/tailgate/ma...ndE-shaper.php

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

Little surface rust easily cleaned up wont hurt a thing.

This coming week Ive got to clean up a G&E 16" Universal Shaper a
buddy bought. One of the really neat ones. Same model as below

http://www.anvilfire.com/tailgate/ma...ndE-shaper.php

That Arsenal had two brand new looking shapers just like that that
just sold (not to me).

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505282
ttp://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505338

My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 09:50:43 -0600, Ignoramus16121

On 2014-11-09, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

OK, we will see soon. I have low expectations and I bought them at
below-scrap prices.

Since it's from an arsenal, they're probably not clapped out. I'll
bet you can get a much prettier penny for them that you paid,
especially since you'll have one of your guys shine 'em up with 0000
steel wool and slick 'em up with way oil.

That same auction had a couple of similar brand new machines that were
inside, not rusted. The interesting thing is, they were in similar
crates.

How much did they end up going for?

Check these out:

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505280

The whole auction is he

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/...=closed_lot s

I bought lots:
4,10,11,14,16,17,18,21,24,28,31,36,
39,57,68,71,76,79,81,86,89,100,118,
125,127,128,139,187,197,198,208,212,
216,221,222

Lot 187 (generator) has only 37 hours on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

Almost. The only commercial use I've seen in the past 15 years is
squaring mold bases for injection-molding tools.

There is an argument that they impose less internal stress on the
workpiece than milling does. But I think the real reason is that they
had the machine laying around, and that was all they could do with it
that made sense.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus16121" wrote in
message ...

My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their
nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

Isn't that generally true of all manual machine tools?
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus16121" wrote in
message ...

My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their
nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

Isn't that generally true of all manual machine tools?

Not really, say, we use a manual mill and a manual lathe a lot for
maintenance/repairs etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:10:11 -0600, Ignoramus16121
wrote:

That same auction had a couple of similar brand new machines that were
inside, not rusted. The interesting thing is, they were in similar
crates.

How much did they end up going for?

Check these out:

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505280

That is a brand spanking new lathe with way lube/protectant lathered
on the ways to keep them from rusting.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

Dayum, you bought out the store!
#212, is that a porta-power setup?

I have no idea, I will let you know.

Lot 187 (generator) has only 37 hours on it.

Good deal, as usual.

Thanks, we'll see. I once bought a similar (to lot 187) looking welder
from them. It had 3 hours on it. (!!!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

Very handy machine. Makes it easy to cut non-standard dovetails
inside a small hole. Once upon a time i hung a dumore tool post
grinder on the end of a shaper, worked great. Also makes a great
horizontal power fed die filer.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 19:22:54 -0800, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

I was given a Logan 8" shaper..Crom...15 or so years ago. Had to
drive north of Frisco to pick it up..and I use the critter a LOT
It will give me surface finishes that my mills wouldnt do when brand
new. Ill be cleaning the old girl up this winter and doing a repaint
etc...because its one of the most useful machines out in the shop.

Ive made hundreds of rifle scope mounts on it, Ive made parts for the
BMW motorcycle, sailboat parts, keyways by the many hundreds...

If I were limited to shaper or mill..shaper gets the nod every time

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

Ig was asking about their commercial use. Small ones sell to
hobbyists, and a few small shops, mostly onesie-twosie jobbers and
repair shops, hang on to their old ones or pick one up cheap at an
old-shop auction.

There is no real commercial market for them anymore, especially in
medium or larger sizes.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 07:52:27 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

wrote:
My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

Got any 6" treadle shapers, mon?

Nope. I do know where there is a very nice (albeit a little rusty)
Cincinnati 36" collecting dust and for very little money.

Now what you want is a 7" Atlas or 8" Logan..and those are much easier
to set up and power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-7B-met...-/221597693871

Now you CAN build your own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-...-/171536307588

If you want....Ill keep my eyes open for one for you..powered, not Arm
Strong Powered.

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

Got any 6" treadle shapers, mon?

Nope. I do know where there is a very nice (albeit a little rusty)
Cincinnati 36" collecting dust and for very little money.

Har!

Now you CAN build your own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-...-/171536307588

Hmm, are the Gingery books on that drive you gave me?

If you want....Ill keep my eyes open for one for you..powered, not Arm
Strong Powered.

Nah, I was just thinking out loud about after the Fall...

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

Got any 6" treadle shapers, mon?

Nope. I do know where there is a very nice (albeit a little rusty)
Cincinnati 36" collecting dust and for very little money.

Har!

Now you CAN build your own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-...-/171536307588

Hmm, are the Gingery books on that drive you gave me?

Hummm...I actually dont remember. I dont think so. You havent opened
it yet???

If you want....Ill keep my eyes open for one for you..powered, not Arm
Strong Powered.

Nah, I was just thinking out loud about after the Fall...

Fall of the US? Never happen.

Fall as in in the winter...we can find you something..

Might have to come for it though...(Grin)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

Got any 6" treadle shapers, mon?

Nope. I do know where there is a very nice (albeit a little rusty)
Cincinnati 36" collecting dust and for very little money.

Har!

Now you CAN build your own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-...-/171536307588

Hmm, are the Gingery books on that drive you gave me?

Hummm...I actually dont remember. I dont think so. You havent opened
it yet???

Nope. Between getting back on my feet 3 weeks later, then getting
back to work, catching up there, finishing insulating the pump house,
taping the outside plumbing for the winter, painting said pump house,
and finishing a large stack of some other projects, I haven't.

If you want....Ill keep my eyes open for one for you..powered, not Arm
Strong Powered.

Nah, I was just thinking out loud about after the Fall...

Fall of the US? Never happen.

I think you're wrong there. The Powers That Be don't give a damn
about the fate of the USA, per se. They can handle things without the
standard gov't in the way. Barry (not even a PTB as President) is
even _trying_ for it while in office. But I was referring to a
situation where we're offline from power.

We're one solar flare, riot, hacker, or other terrorist attack away
from a grid-down scenario, Gunner. Hell, the last long-term wide-area
grid outage was caused by a bird. Stock several months worth of both
food and water NOW, while it's all still both available and cheap. And
if you tell your neighbors, you'd better have all those guns loaded
and ready so you can fight them off to keep it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publicati...s/Pub40464.pdf
Eastern Seaboard Electric Grid Fragility Maps

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/0...us-government/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...d-be-down-18-m
Hint: There are -more- than nine Islamic terrorists in the USA today.

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/youv...ilure-09232013
One EMP over Kansas could take out the US grids.

Question: How do you build large power transformers and make mile-long
power cables when the entire grid is down?

I hope it never happens, but I'd much rather live through it if it
does.

Fall as in in the winter...we can find you something..

Might have to come for it though...(Grin)

Yeah, then we'd be able to get that range time in that I wanted so
badly. That really ****ed me off. I was just dead on my feet. I
wonder if a small shaper would fit in the overhead carry-on bin if I
flew down this next time... vbg

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
--Paul Newman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their
nostalgic value, and are commercially useless.

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

Got any 6" treadle shapers, mon?

Nope. I do know where there is a very nice (albeit a little rusty)
Cincinnati 36" collecting dust and for very little money.

Har!

Now you CAN build your own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-...-/171536307588

Hmm, are the Gingery books on that drive you gave me?

And if they are would you please send me a copy of the shaper one? My set
went to Australia a few years back with another member of the castinghobby
email list . I wonder how many times they've circled the continent , they
were supposed to be shared with all the hobby casters there .
And I need a shaper often enough to build one . Shaving keyways manually
on the lathe or mill ain't much fun .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:45:06 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Hmm, are the Gingery books on that drive you gave me?

And if they are would you please send me a copy of the shaper one? My set
went to Australia a few years back with another member of the castinghobby
email list . I wonder how many times they've circled the continent , they
were supposed to be shared with all the hobby casters there .

Will do, Terry.

And I need a shaper often enough to build one . Shaving keyways manually
on the lathe or mill ain't much fun .

Why not? Yeah, setup might be a bear, but the cutting should be a
straightforward piece of cake.

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
--Paul Newman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Ah..you seem to be forgetting that I am in fact a "survivalist" and
have been for 30 yrs. Food and water are indeed stockpiled here. Not
as much as Id like..shrug....you have seen the reasons why..living
here with me. But I can get by for a few months and the arms, tools
and techniques are at hand and have been practiced for a very long
time.

Gasoline though...thats a bit shy...I used the 100 gallons I had on
hand a few years ago when things got really bad with the economy and
Ive not had the money to stock back up on real gasoline at the
airport. The alky/water/gas mix they sell here at the gas stations
doesnt last very long....pretty much less than 18 months even when
Stabil is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publicati...s/Pub40464.pdf
Eastern Seaboard Electric Grid Fragility Maps

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/0...us-government/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...d-be-down-18-m
Hint: There are -more- than nine Islamic terrorists in the USA today.

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/youv...ilure-09232013
One EMP over Kansas could take out the US grids.

Question: How do you build large power transformers and make mile-long
power cables when the entire grid is down?

I hope it never happens, but I'd much rather live through it if it
does.

Thats one of the reasons I live here in the middle of the oil fields
and their huge cogeneration plants. 99% of our power comes from the
local power generators that are hooked to the steam lines running down
the oil wells for secondary recovery.

Fall as in in the winter...we can find you something..

Might have to come for it though...(Grin)

Yeah, then we'd be able to get that range time in that I wanted so
badly. That really ****ed me off. I was just dead on my feet. I
wonder if a small shaper would fit in the overhead carry-on bin if I
flew down this next time... vbg

Might have to figure something out.

Mi casa su casa.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

And I need a shaper often enough to build one . Shaving keyways
manually on the lathe or mill ain't much fun .
--
Snag

Could you regrind a boring bit into a one-flute angular cutter?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Put out the word you are looking for a shaper...7-12" and they will
start turning up at surprising rates. Seriously.

I run into them fairly regularly. Usually stuck in a corner somewhere
covered with dust and trash. Talking to the owners and ask em why they
havent sold it..they look surprised and say..."you mean people
actually want one of these????"

Buddy just bought a G&L 16" universal that Ive got to go clean up and
get running. He actually has a big big machine shop and needed one.
20k sqf with (1) CNC lathe in it..which he has never learned how to
use.

Hand shaper are "ok" if things turn to ****..but they are a total pain
in the ass compared to a powered one and most powered ones can be
modified for other sources of power.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Oh..he paid $300 for it.

Hand shaper are "ok" if things turn to ****..but they are a total pain
in the ass compared to a powered one and most powered ones can be
modified for other sources of power.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I chose a surface grinder rather than a shaper to fill my last bit of
open floor space. It can make custom single-point angular cutters that
run in the mill.

I rough then nearly to shape quickly, hog out the grooves on the work,
then grind them precisely and take the finish cuts.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

And I need a shaper often enough to build one . Shaving keyways
manually on the lathe or mill ain't much fun .
--
Snag

Could you regrind a boring bit into a one-flute angular cutter?

-jsw

Not sure what you mean ... but I have used my small boring bar to shave a
keyway into a bore . Hand stroking ...

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Put out the word you are looking for a shaper...7-12" and they will
start turning up at surprising rates. Seriously.

Gunner

You apparently don't realize just how isolated we are here ... chances of
finding one nearby are pretty slim . But I have a couple hundred pounds of
aluminum scrap all processed into ingots just awaiting a project and a 3
speed motor with control . I started the patterns one time , then just quit
for some reason . Mighta been time ...and I have a lot more of that now .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Oh , oh , oh , I get what you mean by angular cutter . Those will work for
a shaft , but not so much for a keyway in a bore .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

And I need a shaper often enough to build one . Shaving keyways
manually on the lathe or mill ain't much fun .
--
Snag

Could you regrind a boring bit into a one-flute angular cutter?

-jsw

Not sure what you mean ... but I have used my small boring bar to
shave a keyway into a bore . Hand stroking ...

--
Snag

I meant these, modified to cut dovetails.
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2682

I was trying to think of how to secure the new Variac carbon brush in
the holder and considered dovetailing it like a gun sight, but the
carbon is only 1/4" thick and my 60 degree cutter is 3/8". I made a
test block, milled a rectangular slot 0.004" smaller than the brush,
chamfered the edges and pressed it in with the milling machine vise.
So far so good.

Back when Enco had retail stores I bought a 1/8" keyway broach that I
used for everything by making the bushings and keys as needed, ie
milling the keys 1/8" wide for the broached hub side and whatever fit
the slot on the shaft side.
http://www.use-enco.com/1/3/keyway-broach

This is what a full set contains:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Key...8-pc-HSS/G9774

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

Put out the word you are looking for a shaper...7-12" and they will
start turning up at surprising rates. Seriously.

Gunner

You apparently don't realize just how isolated we are here ...
chances of finding one nearby are pretty slim . But I have a couple
hundred pounds of aluminum scrap all processed into ingots just
awaiting a project and a 3 speed motor with control . I started the
patterns one time , then just quit for some reason . Mighta been time
...and I have a lot more of that now .

And I just ordered the book on ebay , under 11 bucks delivered .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I didn't see any there last month, so I forgot, yeah. Mea culpa.

have been for 30 yrs. Food and water are indeed stockpiled here. Not
as much as Id like..shrug....you have seen the reasons why..living
here with me. But I can get by for a few months and the arms, tools
and techniques are at hand and have been practiced for a very long
time.

Ayup, x2.

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
--Paul Newman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:19:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

We're one solar flare, riot, hacker, or other terrorist attack away
from a grid-down scenario, Gunner. Hell, the last long-term wide-area
grid outage was caused by a bird. Stock several months worth of both
food and water NOW, while it's all still both available and cheap. And
if you tell your neighbors, you'd better have all those guns loaded
and ready so you can fight them off to keep it.

Ah..you seem to be forgetting that I am in fact a "survivalist" and

I didn't see any there last month, so I forgot, yeah. Mea culpa.

If you had asked..I would have shown you. Never crossed my mind to
blurt " Say Larry..look at all the Stuff I have on hand in case the
world ends tommyrot!!"

Shrug..though I do have less on hand than normal..due to the flock of
humans living here.

have been for 30 yrs. Food and water are indeed stockpiled here. Not
as much as Id like..shrug....you have seen the reasons why..living
here with me. But I can get by for a few months and the arms, tools
and techniques are at hand and have been practiced for a very long
time.

Ayup, x2.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 17:04:18 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Put out the word you are looking for a shaper...7-12" and they will
start turning up at surprising rates. Seriously.

Gunner

You apparently don't realize just how isolated we are here ... chances of
finding one nearby are pretty slim . But I have a couple hundred pounds of
aluminum scrap all processed into ingots just awaiting a project and a 3
speed motor with control . I started the patterns one time , then just quit
for some reason . Mighta been time ...and I have a lot more of that now .

Just put out the word as widely as possible. Its very surprising what
can be found within 100 miles of you.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:04:22 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

world ends tommyrot!!"

Damn but I hate spell checkers sometimes

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We're one solar flare, riot, hacker, or other terrorist attack away
from a grid-down scenario, Gunner. Hell, the last long-term wide-area
grid outage was caused by a bird. Stock several months worth of both
food and water NOW, while it's all still both available and cheap. And
if you tell your neighbors, you'd better have all those guns loaded
and ready so you can fight them off to keep it.

Ah..you seem to be forgetting that I am in fact a "survivalist" and

I didn't see any there last month, so I forgot, yeah. Mea culpa.

If you had asked..I would have shown you. Never crossed my mind to
blurt " Say Larry..look at all the Stuff I have on hand in case the
world ends tommyrot!!"

The original request for the files/harddrive was for knife fighting
and survival/apocaplypse, if you remember back that far. It _was_ 2
years ago. g + sigh

Shrug..though I do have less on hand than normal..due to the flock of
humans living here.

Yeah, that kinda sucks.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!

new to lathes Cydrome Leader Metalworking 12 February 11th 11 12:05 PM
Lathes steamer Metalworking 15 May 7th 09 04:44 AM
lathes??? [email protected] Woodturning 9 June 2nd 07 05:52 AM
Lathes??? Harry Pye Woodturning 0 May 30th 07 10:02 PM
WTS: LAthes WebMaster OK.com Metalworking 10 March 17th 05 02:59 PM