Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Do these lathes look used?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 01:48:56 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 19:22:54 -0800, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:05:44 -0600, Ignoramus16121

On 2014-11-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 10:40:58 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

Little surface rust easily cleaned up wont hurt a thing.

This coming week Ive got to clean up a G&E 16" Universal Shaper a
buddy bought. One of the really neat ones. Same model as below

http://www.anvilfire.com/tailgate/ma...ndE-shaper.php

That Arsenal had two brand new looking shapers just like that that
just sold (not to me).

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505282
ttp://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505338

My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

Very handy machine. Makes it easy to cut non-standard dovetails
inside a small hole. Once upon a time i hung a dumore tool post
grinder on the end of a shaper, worked great. Also makes a great
horizontal power fed die filer.

Best Regards
Tom.

I was given a Logan 8" shaper..Crom...15 or so years ago. Had to
drive north of Frisco to pick it up..and I use the critter a LOT
It will give me surface finishes that my mills wouldnt do when brand
new. Ill be cleaning the old girl up this winter and doing a repaint
etc...because its one of the most useful machines out in the shop.

Ive made hundreds of rifle scope mounts on it, Ive made parts for the
BMW motorcycle, sailboat parts, keyways by the many hundreds...

If I were limited to shaper or mill..shaper gets the nod every time

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Ig was asking about their commercial use. Small ones sell to
hobbyists, and a few small shops, mostly onesie-twosie jobbers and
repair shops, hang on to their old ones or pick one up cheap at an
old-shop auction.

There is no real commercial market for them anymore, especially in
medium or larger sizes.

--
Ed Huntress