Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do these lathes look used?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 19:00:11 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 12:13:11 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:16:08 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:26:56 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 07:52:27 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 18:07:14 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:05:44 -0600, Ignoramus16121
wrote:
My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

Got any 6" treadle shapers, mon?

Nope. I do know where there is a very nice (albeit a little rusty)
Cincinnati 36" collecting dust and for very little money.

Har!

Now you CAN build your own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-...-/171536307588

Hmm, are the Gingery books on that drive you gave me?

Hummm...I actually dont remember. I dont think so. You havent opened
it yet???

Nope. Between getting back on my feet 3 weeks later, then getting
back to work, catching up there, finishing insulating the pump house,
taping the outside plumbing for the winter, painting said pump house,
and finishing a large stack of some other projects, I haven't.

If you want....Ill keep my eyes open for one for you..powered, not Arm
Strong Powered.

Nah, I was just thinking out loud about after the Fall...

Fall of the US? Never happen.

I think you're wrong there. The Powers That Be don't give a damn
about the fate of the USA, per se. They can handle things without the
standard gov't in the way. Barry (not even a PTB as President) is
even _trying_ for it while in office. But I was referring to a
situation where we're offline from power.

We're one solar flare, riot, hacker, or other terrorist attack away
from a grid-down scenario, Gunner. Hell, the last long-term wide-area
grid outage was caused by a bird. Stock several months worth of both
food and water NOW, while it's all still both available and cheap. And
if you tell your neighbors, you'd better have all those guns loaded
and ready so you can fight them off to keep it.

Ah..you seem to be forgetting that I am in fact a "survivalist" and
have been for 30 yrs. Food and water are indeed stockpiled here. Not
as much as Id like..shrug....you have seen the reasons why..living
here with me. But I can get by for a few months and the arms, tools
and techniques are at hand and have been practiced for a very long
time.

Gasoline though...thats a bit shy...I used the 100 gallons I had on
hand a few years ago when things got really bad with the economy and
Ive not had the money to stock back up on real gasoline at the
airport. The alky/water/gas mix they sell here at the gas stations
doesnt last very long....pretty much less than 18 months even when
Stabil is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publicati...s/Pub40464.pdf
Eastern Seaboard Electric Grid Fragility Maps

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/0...us-government/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...d-be-down-18-m
Hint: There are -more- than nine Islamic terrorists in the USA today.

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/youv...ilure-09232013
One EMP over Kansas could take out the US grids.

Question: How do you build large power transformers and make mile-long
power cables when the entire grid is down?

I hope it never happens, but I'd much rather live through it if it
does.

Thats one of the reasons I live here in the middle of the oil fields
and their huge cogeneration plants. 99% of our power comes from the
local power generators that are hooked to the steam lines running down
the oil wells for secondary recovery.

Fall as in in the winter...we can find you something..

Might have to come for it though...(Grin)

Yeah, then we'd be able to get that range time in that I wanted so
badly. That really ****ed me off. I was just dead on my feet. I
wonder if a small shaper would fit in the overhead carry-on bin if I
flew down this next time... vbg

Might have to figure something out.

Mi casa su casa.

Gunner