Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16121 Ignoramus16121 is offline

Default Do these lathes look used?

On 2014-11-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 10:40:58 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

Little surface rust easily cleaned up wont hurt a thing.

This coming week Ive got to clean up a G&E 16" Universal Shaper a
buddy bought. One of the really neat ones. Same model as below

http://www.anvilfire.com/tailgate/ma...ndE-shaper.php

That Arsenal had two brand new looking shapers just like that that
just sold (not to me).

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505282
ttp://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505338

My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.