Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do these lathes look used?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:26:56 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 07:52:27 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 18:07:14 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:05:44 -0600, Ignoramus16121
wrote:
My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their
nostalgic value, and are commercially useless.

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

Got any 6" treadle shapers, mon?

Nope. I do know where there is a very nice (albeit a little rusty)
Cincinnati 36" collecting dust and for very little money.

Har!

Now you CAN build your own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Make-...-/171536307588

Hmm, are the Gingery books on that drive you gave me?

And if they are would you please send me a copy of the shaper one? My set
went to Australia a few years back with another member of the castinghobby
email list . I wonder how many times they've circled the continent , they
were supposed to be shared with all the hobby casters there .
And I need a shaper often enough to build one . Shaving keyways manually
on the lathe or mill ain't much fun .
--
Snag