Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do these lathes look used?

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Same question applies to this radial drill:

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505307

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25323" wrote in
message news
Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

We took Khrushchev's bluster very seriously:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchison_Storage_Facility
"In the drawdown following the war, the Army began to stockpile these
tools to be held in reserve status to be used in the event of another
national mobilization."

"At its peak, a private contractor was responsible for maintaining
more than 5,000 machine tools in the reserve facility."

I remember some being released for sale in the 1970's. I bought some
equipment that had reputedly been stored in a cave in New Mexico.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

OK, we will see soon. I have low expectations and I bought them at
below-scrap prices.

That same auction had a couple of similar brand new machines that were
inside, not rusted. The interesting thing is, they were in similar
crates.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

OK, we will see soon. I have low expectations and I bought them at
below-scrap prices.

That same auction had a couple of similar brand new machines that were
inside, not rusted. The interesting thing is, they were in similar
crates.

If nothing else the TEFC motors can probably sell separate along with a
few other bits and pieces and the rest is a heavy pile of scrap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 10:40:58 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

Little surface rust easily cleaned up wont hurt a thing.

This coming week Ive got to clean up a G&E 16" Universal Shaper a
buddy bought. One of the really neat ones. Same model as below

http://www.anvilfire.com/tailgate/ma...ndE-shaper.php

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

Little surface rust easily cleaned up wont hurt a thing.

This coming week Ive got to clean up a G&E 16" Universal Shaper a
buddy bought. One of the really neat ones. Same model as below

http://www.anvilfire.com/tailgate/ma...ndE-shaper.php

That Arsenal had two brand new looking shapers just like that that
just sold (not to me).

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505282
ttp://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505338

My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

Almost. The only commercial use I've seen in the past 15 years is
squaring mold bases for injection-molding tools.

There is an argument that they impose less internal stress on the
workpiece than milling does. But I think the real reason is that they
had the machine laying around, and that was all they could do with it
that made sense.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus16121" wrote in
message ...

My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their
nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

Isn't that generally true of all manual machine tools?
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus16121" wrote in
message ...

My understanding is that shapers are sold strictly for their
nostalgic
value, and are commercially useless.

Isn't that generally true of all manual machine tools?

Not really, say, we use a manual mill and a manual lathe a lot for
maintenance/repairs etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

NOt in the least commercially useless. I have several clients that
actually use shapers every day in their shops.

At the least..they use them to cut internal keyways

A shaper is a very very handy tool if you have that subset of work
that needs the..gears.pulleys etc etc

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

[...]

Very handy machine. Makes it easy to cut non-standard dovetails
inside a small hole. Once upon a time i hung a dumore tool post
grinder on the end of a shaper, worked great. Also makes a great
horizontal power fed die filer.

Best Regards
Tom.

new to lathes Cydrome Leader Metalworking 12 February 11th 11 12:05 PM
Lathes steamer Metalworking 15 May 7th 09 04:44 AM
lathes??? [email protected] Woodturning 9 June 2nd 07 05:52 AM
Lathes??? Harry Pye Woodturning 0 May 30th 07 10:02 PM
WTS: LAthes WebMaster OK.com Metalworking 10 March 17th 05 02:59 PM