Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default lathes???

I have reciently thought of the idea of making wooden baseball bats
myself. I love baseball but for somereason i havn't thought of this
idea. What i am looking for is a cheap lathe big enough to make a bat
(33'') but not industrial. I have been looking a lathes, but all i can
find a mini lathes that are to small, and industrial lathes that are
to big and too expensive. Does anyone know the prices of these
lathes?? And does anyone know where i can get a lathe of the size im
looking for, and relativly cheap?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have reciently thought of the idea of making wooden baseball bats
myself. I love baseball but for somereason i havn't thought of this
idea. What i am looking for is a cheap lathe big enough to make a bat
(33'') but not industrial. I have been looking a lathes, but all i can
find a mini lathes that are to small, and industrial lathes that are
to big and too expensive. Does anyone know the prices of these
lathes?? And does anyone know where i can get a lathe of the size im
looking for, and relativly cheap?

I've turned several bats on my Jet 1442 (roughly $900), albeit smaller
versions (28") for youngsters. But it can handle 40" stock with ease. Both
Delta and Jet make 12x36 (approx.) lathes that price somewhat less. None of
the above are industrial-quality machines.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi nerp1191,

You might want to look for a used Sears Craftsman, Rigid monotube,
Canadian Tire or whatever similar lathe might turn up in your community.
Lots of good work has been turned on them and I personally know of a
turner who makes croquet mallets on a second hand Sears. They sell for
astronomic prices so his purpose bought machine is no compromise.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You might take a look at this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3coars

I know that some here have them and turn on them. It seem that if you
get a good one you are in pretty good shape as an occasional turning
machine. It is NOT a machine to use all day, every day.

But many here have also reported a lot of problems, some that might
make this machine more problems than it is worth. For the price it
might be worth a try.

I know you will get a lot of advice on finding a used lathe, but in my
experience, it doesn't happen. I looked for about 2 years before
finally finally giving up and biting the bullet to buy my Nova 3000.
There just aren't many out there, and the folks that buy them have so
much invested in them that they all want close to full price. So
close in fact that I opted for a new one so I could get a warranty.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Try looking at
http://aroundthewoods.com/beginningw...glathes01.html for
some ideas. The first and last lathes here will do the job you want and the
first, a single tube bed lathe, is often on sale for under $200.00

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have reciently thought of the idea of making wooden baseball bats
myself. I love baseball but for somereason i havn't thought of this
idea. What i am looking for is a cheap lathe big enough to make a bat
(33'') but not industrial. I have been looking a lathes, but all i can
find a mini lathes that are to small, and industrial lathes that are
to big and too expensive. Does anyone know the prices of these
lathes?? And does anyone know where i can get a lathe of the size im
looking for, and relativly cheap?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

you don't specify your location - used small lathes are cheap, particularly
if they are old - if you are near a big city, try craigslist.org, if in a
small town, ask around

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have reciently thought of the idea of making wooden baseball bats
myself. I love baseball but for somereason i havn't thought of this
idea. What i am looking for is a cheap lathe big enough to make a bat
(33'') but not industrial. I have been looking a lathes, but all i can
find a mini lathes that are to small, and industrial lathes that are
to big and too expensive. Does anyone know the prices of these
lathes?? And does anyone know where i can get a lathe of the size im
looking for, and relativly cheap?

Wheelchairs and lathes Bob Woofter Woodturning 7 January 2nd 06 02:10 AM
Turncrafter lathes Makin Sawdust in So. FLA. Woodturning 1 November 29th 05 11:22 PM
Rivett Lathes Gunner Asch Metalworking 2 November 26th 05 05:59 PM
Poolewood lathes Jeff Woodturning 6 August 8th 05 04:50 AM
Conover lathes Maxprop Woodturning 12 March 11th 04 11:01 PM