Maxprop

Default Conover lathes

Whatever happened to Conover lathes? The website says they have been
discontinued. Any idea why?

Max

Nova

Maxprop wrote:

Whatever happened to Conover lathes? The website says they have been
discontinued. Any idea why?

Max

It was reported that they went out of business last summer.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Derek Hartzell

I suspect it is because demand was too low. They were fairly expensive and
were not complete, requiring wood bed bars and brace to be added. As an
advanced kit, their high price seemed a little much.

Derek

Joe Bloomer

Conover Lathe was purchased by Alpha Machine in 1990 from Ernie
Conover. They went out of business (or at least ceased manufacture of
the lathe) in August 2002

"Maxprop" maxprop@props.
Joe Bloomerhaft.end wrote in message hlink.net...
Whatever happened to Conover lathes? The website says they have been
discontinued. Any idea why?

Max

James E Gaydos

I was very sorry to see Conover Lathes come to an end.
Alan Stytler (past co. president )said they were unable
to be competitive with some of the newer lathes on the
market.
One thing to remember, The Conover was a different breed of lathe.
This lathe was designed, buy making your own bed,
to be most any length, up to 14 feet or longer between centers.
It was and is a very fine machine. I belive it was designed to be
more of an Architectural turning lathe, then a bowl lathe.
Although it works fine as both.
The headstock can be placed at either end of the bed.
With the headstock on the right side of the bed, one could turn a
40" diameter piece, using a floor stand toolrest.
It is a standerd 16" swing, but could be made up to 20" with riser blocks.
I'm happy with mine, there are some things that could have been made different.
The cast iron is very high quality, 1.5" X 8 TPI spindle with adjustable
Timpkin Roller bearings.
Oh, Buy the way, I have one of the last ones made. Jim
CONOVER LIVES (BG)

Maxprop

"James E Gaydos" wrote in message
[...]

A few days ago I spoke with a lady who turns on a Conover. She wouldn't
trade it for anything else. I was unaware that Ernie had produced lathes
prior to chatting with her. So naturally I investigated, and discovered
they were out of business. I hope to see one in the flesh (iron?) some day.

Max

James E Gaydos

Stop by any time Max.
Jim
Maxprop

"James E Gaydos" wrote in message

Stop by any time Max.
Jim

Thanks for the offer. Where are you?

Max, in Indiana

James E Gaydos

Hi Max,
I'm in Ephrata, Pennsylvania - Lancaster County
Maxprop

"James E Gaydos" wrote in message

Hi Max,
I'm in Ephrata, Pennsylvania - Lancaster County

Bit of a jaunt from Indiana, but if I'm ever in the area . . .

Max

Ken Moon

"James E Gaydos" wrote in message
om...
Hi Max,
I'm in Ephrata, Pennsylvania - Lancaster County

**************************************
James,
Is that still the heart of Amish country like it was 40 years ago?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

James E Gaydos

James,
Is that still the heart of Amish country like it was 40 years ago?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Hi Ken,
I didn't live here then. There was a great migration
of Amish from the mid 60"s to the late 70"s.
A lot of them left the area because it was becoming to commercialized.
Lancaster County is still refered to as the Heart of Amish country,
but there are , (I've told ) more living in Ohio, and the mid west.
A lot moved south, Tenn. and Kentucky.

About 10 years ago,there was a woman from NYC trying to take a
picture of an Amish-man while he was plowing his field.
The Amish-man kept turning away, it's not a part of there life style.
The woman became very irate and began to cuss the poor guy out.
She wanted to know who he worked for. He tried to explain.
She refused to listen. She then went to the State Police,
and wanted to file a complant. They thought this was the funniest
one ever. The local radio stations had a great time with it.
Damned city slickers. BG Jim
Maxprop

"Ken Moon" wrote in message

James,
Is that still the heart of Amish country like it was 40 years ago?

Hi Ken,

I think I probably live in the heart of Amish country. North central
Indiana has lots of Amish, and there are other Amish communities
disseminated throughout the state. This area has several well-known Amish
communities, specifically Shipshewana, IN, and Bern, IN. My hometown of
Nappanee is also well-known for its Amish. My family's business employed
many Amishmen over the decades. They tend to be dedicated, reliable workers
with no tendency to complain about anything, making them ideal employees.

But the Amish will migrate to find better jobs and less interference from
outsiders. I think Lancaster County, PA, has lost much of its Amish over
the past three or four decades, mostly due to the pressure of tourism.

Max