Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16121 Ignoramus16121 is offline

Default Do these lathes look used?

On 2014-11-09, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus25323 wrote:

Check this out. I bought these two lathes from the US Army at Rock
Island Arsenal. I bought them sight unseen.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505304

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505297

I can see copious rust on one and significant rust on another.

However, I do not see telltale signs of having been actually used,
such as beat up paint near where the headstock meets the chuck.

Comments?

Used but well maintained until they were abandoned in some storage lot.

OK, we will see soon. I have low expectations and I bought them at
below-scrap prices.

That same auction had a couple of similar brand new machines that were
inside, not rusted. The interesting thing is, they were in similar
crates.